The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

as of 09.00 the garden contained 

around 30 goldfinches both young and adults

around 20 pigeons a mix of wood and feral 

6 blue tits 

3 green finches 

2 starlings 

2 long tailed tits 

2 robins 

1 great tit 

1 coal tit  

John 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jbqfc said:

as of 09.00 the garden contained 

around 30 goldfinches both young and adults

around 20 pigeons a mix of wood and feral 

6 blue tits 

3 green finches 

2 starlings 

2 long tailed tits 

2 robins 

1 great tit 

1 coal tit  

John 

Big garden?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, dhjgreen said:

Big garden?

no small garden in the middle of Crawley 42  foot by 20 foot with a garage taking up about a quarter of that 

i have 3 double and 2 single feeders with sunflower seeds 

2 single feeders with Niger seed 

a suet  and a mealworm feeders

John 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2019 at 10:42, jbqfc said:

no small garden in the middle of Crawley 42  foot by 20 foot with a garage taking up about a quarter of that 

John 

IIRC Crawley, despite being quite a densely housed area, also has loads of habitat with plenty of trees/wooded areas and natural meadow/parkland. However this is a superb gathering.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2019 at 15:37, 88D said:

I earlier posted that I had just been to Minsmere. Whilst there, I realised how ‘old’ my binoculars had become —- I’ m sure it wasn’t just my eyes! Have any of you got a recommendation for best value for mid-range specification of binoculars please? Looking for 8x32 to 10x42 type. I don’t want any U-boat types, thank you. Cheers, Dai

I have Olympus 8-16x40 DPS-I binoculars which I bought a few years ago. They cost around £80 and the zoom facility is very handy once the subject has been focussed on. 

I have no complaints so far. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I have Olympus 8-16x40 DPS-I binoculars which I bought a few years ago. They cost around £80 and the zoom facility is very handy once the subject has been focussed on. 

I have no complaints so far. 

Many thanks for this: it is one of the binocs I have been contemplating. I appreciate your comment on the zoom, I wasn’t sure whether this would have been useful - obviously you have benefitted from it. Thanks again, Dai Davies

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just had enormous pleasure...……......……...and at my age that is very unusual!

Nine, yes nine Buzzard circling above my garden at around 50ft. Calling, tumbling just drifting with just a pure and clear blue sky as backdrop.

Probably a family group as two rather large birds and then a couple that looked live juves and five smaller beauties. One of those I just happened to be checking the apple tree and heard them moments. Made my day.

Phil

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2019 at 15:29, teaky said:

Were you lying on the lawn?  Did they think they'd spotted a carcass?

Almost, I was checking the hedgehog Box near the Appletree, as we have had three Juve Hogs in the garden over the last three weeks and I wanted to see if there were any more or a dead parent lurking (no thankfully). First Juve hog was 'rescued' but died sadly the same day, next two just a week apart have gone to the local Hog Rescue home and are thriving, at the  moment and fingers crossed. There have been, I was told, large numbers of Juve Hogs found running about this year and the Rescue is almost overflowing with little uns.  Let's hope most of them survive under the care of this lovely couple that do this for no fee (except I have chosen to donate a 'gift' for each Hog I have taken.

As for crackass, then I am trying to come off the stuff......oh, hang on, I've adjusted my reading glasses now.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 03/10/2019 at 10:42, jbqfc said:

John 

Small birds?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

i had had to go and put out more feeders thins morning 

they are so meany birds due to the bad weather

they where so many goldfinch that the other birds could not get a look in 

John 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well after moving back to my father's house and helping with or rother doing his back garden well at 88 he's aloud to take it easy. I have started to notice the birds coming into it to feed. Apart from wren's and Robins nesting in the garden plus blue and great Tits black birds etc wich come to feed daily, and a pair of  owls wich pop in about once a week at (night obviously)  the highlights for me, but not the poor old pear tree are the Common and two days ago the Green woodpecker. If I have a chance I'll take photos of the green woodpecker.

At the bottom of the peanut feeder is the common woodpecker. 

20191023_101001.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2019 at 10:21, dhjgreen said:

After many weeks without blackbirds, there were 4 males and a female here yesterday, I assume they are migratory.

The new blackbirds are filling out nicely having found their apple, they were a bit scawny earlier.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 22:25, farren said:

Well after moving back to my father's house and helping with or rother doing his back garden well at 88 he's aloud to take it easy. I have started to notice the birds coming into it to feed. Apart from wren's and Robins nesting in the garden plus blue and great Tits black birds etc wich come to feed daily, and a pair of  owls wich pop in about once a week at (night obviously)  the highlights for me, but not the poor old pear tree are the Common and two days ago the Green woodpecker. If I have a chance I'll take photos of the green woodpecker.

At the bottom of the peanut feeder is the common woodpecker. 

20191023_101001.jpg

That looks like a female Great Spotted Woodpecker.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2