Great Western Railway Journal, no.80

Horsetan

On sale at the Tolworth Show, contents are limited to just three:

- Reading Goods Yard

- The 44xx 2-6-2Ts

- Honeybourne Station (Part 2: the goods yards)

The Honeybourne part is particularly fascinating, filled as it is with memories of daily routines by those who worked in the yards, including descriptions of fly-shunting and banking.

• 3 weeks later...

Likewise CK, the Journal just seems to get better with each isue. The Reading Goods article is particularly enjoyable ;)

Sometimes I buy it for the colour photos alone, then have a good old read later on. Always found that a lot of the articles I can come back to after quite a while and still get something out of them. The current crop of photos from the M.G.C.Smith archive are superb!

Haven't got mine yet - which Reading 'goods yard' is it or does it cover all of them?

The Reading article is part one of a series Mike so I presume they'll cover the lot eventually. Issue #80 starts with King's Meadow Goods and has 27 pages.... well worth waiting for.

I'd all but forgotten about the short tunnel under the GWML connection the two sides and the Huntley & Palmer sidings.

• RMweb Gold

The Reading article is part one of a series Mike so I presume they'll cover the lot eventually. Issue #80 starts with King's Meadow Goods and has 27 pages.... well worth waiting for.

I'd all but forgotten about the short tunnel under the GWML connection the two sides and the Huntley & Palmer sidings.

Thanks Nidge - be interesting to see what it has to say about a place where I once worked for a short while. And coincidentally I have got a 40ft:1 inch drawing of most of the H&P rail network - very tempting as a model, and it pre-dates the fireless locos but with some fiendish trackwork of the sort that would amuse Brian Harrap so definitely not in my league.

I've not atually read the whole article yet, but have drooled over the photos a fair bit.... the shots of the low level goods shed on the Up side are very nice, it's an often overlooked part of the Reading layout. Young Pixie of this 'ere parish and I once had a conversation about how we'd go about modelling the area.... IIRC in the end we couldn't decide which bits to leave out or where to 'draw the lines' regarding scenic breaks etc....!

• RMweb Gold

I've not atually read the whole article yet, but have drooled over the photos a fair bit.... the shots of the low level goods shed on the Up side are very nice, it's an often overlooked part of the Reading layout. Young Pixie of this 'ere parish and I once had a conversation about how we'd go about modelling the area.... IIRC in the end we couldn't decide which bits to leave out or where to 'draw the lines' regarding scenic breaks etc....!

Scenic break at the back - along the length of the depot/yard would naturally be the embankment which carries the running lines with the Pilot Line coming down from it and logically the fence line next to the road would probably mark the front edge. More difficult is deciding the ends although the fence line would be a logical end for the west end I think but the east end is much more difficult but I think it would be sensible to compress it to include the tunnel through to H&P with its excuse to have really tight, but still to scale, curves.

Archived