London Bridge re-development

• RMweb Premium

I travelled over the new down line on the Bermondsey flyover for the first time today. That should provide some much-needed increased capacity from London Bridge. Not sure when the up line will be ready; not for a fair while I guess, due to the lack of track!

• RMweb Premium

I travelled over the new down line on the Bermondsey flyover for the first time today. That should provide some much-needed increased capacity from London Bridge. Not sure when the up line will be ready; not for a fair while I guess, due to the lack of track!

I am a little unsure as to what 'up' line you are referring to here.

The other section of track that has been laid through the dive-under will be used by Charing Cross services (admiadly in the up direction) and has nothing to do with Brighton services. In fact with the commissioning of the down line through the dive under the low level approches are now in their final configuration and will not be expanded any more.

Somewhere on the internet there was a document outlining the next key stages - IIRC the aforementioned Charing Cross line may come into use around Easter when the Cannon Street tracks will be realocated to their final position at London Bridge (though still with services not stopping) thus releasing the forth Charing Cross platform for service and the future Thameslink platform sites to be finished.

There were no tracks on the 'over' bit of the dive under before Christmas - I think this will eventually carry the two dedicated Thameslink Up and Down lines (official designation?).

IIRC the Charing Cross dive under lines should come into service during the August 2017 blockade, from a recent article in Modern Railways.

Regards,

Dan

• RMweb Premium

It is the 'over' bit I am thinking of in terms of up lines. The train I travelled on today, the 15:42 to Brighton, used the new section; passing beneath the flyover, climbing the incline over the TFL chord to the South London line and joining the down slow lines towards East Croydon just north of New Cross Gate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

66089 and 66017 were top-n-tailing on the the up line on the new Bermondsey flyover this morning. Maybe not the first train on it, but the first I have seen in my morning commute. The up line has only been laid over the last week or so.

Looks like track is being laid through platform 1 as well. A GBRf Class 66 was sitting on the new track at the East end of the platform with a rake of ballast wagons. Ballast had been dropped between platforms 1 and 2 and the track for 1 could be seen extending between the platforms from the previous rail head.

Regards,

Dan

I believe that Cannon Street trains will switch to using the tracks through platforms 1 and 2 after the Easter blockade, but will not stop at London Bridge as there will be no means of access to the platforms.  Charing Cross trains gain access to platform 6 after the August blockade, when they will also switch to the diveunder (if not before).

Track now laid through platform 1 and some of platform 2, with 66770 sitting outside with what looks like a rail delivery train. Also a Freightliner Class 66 and ballast wagons waiting on the West side of the 'over' part of the diveunder.

Switching the Cannon Street non-stop trains to platforms 1 and 2 makes sense as it would allow completion of the West end of platform 5, which has been stopped short of the new concrete fire exit to allow the Down Cannon Street line to be slewed across to join with the tracks from Cannon Street. This would then allow a start to be made on laying the Thameslink dedicated tracks.

Regards,

Dan

At the moment the "Deptford" flyunder is laid but without third rail and they have started to lay the "Thameslink" flyover. There isn't enough space where the flyover lands for all existing and future tracks so I'm guessing the Deptford will become the temporary up CX. That means they can finish the flyover.

Bill

Archived