London Bridge re-development

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to note that the 22:38 London Bridge to Horsham doesn't call at Earlswood but it does stop at Signal T483. I wonder who gets off there?

post-17811-0-29547900-1431632837.jpg

Interesting to note that the 22:38 London Bridge to Horsham doesn't call at Earlswood but it does stop at Signal T483. I wonder who gets off there?

attachicon.gif483.jpg

Ah yes signal 483, it's a noted red light area....

• RMweb Premium

For those not aware, a lot of peak trains are being altered from this Monday.  On my patch the 06:57 Bognor Regis to London Bridge is retimed to depart now at 06:54 and run a few minutes earlier pretty much throughout.

Also as an aside if you are thinking of travelling by train between London and Gatwick/Sussex between Christmas and New Year, forget it.  It is shut between South Croydon and Redhill for major engineering works from 16:30 on Christmas Eve right through to January 4th.  Just hope we don't get another landslip on the Dorking line again although one is due unfortunately....

• RMweb Premium

For those not aware, a lot of peak trains are being altered from this Monday. On my patch the 06:57 Bognor Regis to London Bridge is retimed to depart now at 06:54 and run a few minutes earlier pretty much throughout.

Also as an aside if you are thinking of travelling by train between London and Gatwick/Sussex between Christmas and New Year, forget it. It is shut between South Croydon and Redhill for major engineering works from 16:30 on Christmas Eve right through to January 4th. Just hope we don't get another landslip on the Dorking line again although one is due unfortunately....

I am struggling to see why a closure of Coulsdon South - Redhill is going to screw the entire Brighton line as the Quarry lines would be avalible for traffic under such a situation.

The only thing that would prevent a service being operated via the Quarry lines is if the all the crossovers are being replaced at the likes of Purley or Earlswood South (i.e. What they did at Stoats Nest a couple of years ago).

If confined to the Coulsdon South - Redhill section then it'd most likely to be related to the platform 0 work which sees extensive trackwork alterations to the north of Redhill platforms plus the replacement of the current 'Westpack' relay based interlocking housed in the relay room at Redhill.

I will ask some questions at work and see if I can obtain more detailed information about what is actually happening and post it here.

• RMweb Premium

It's the crossovers at Purley that are being done along with something at Redhill I believe which will close both the Redhill and Quarry Lines throughout unfortunately.

Also the Old Lodge Lane bridge at Purley is being completely replaced as well.

Full story here:

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Christmas-merry-rail-users/story-26502033-detail/story.html#ixzz3aIY4rXd6

• RMweb Premium

On return from Railex and dropping the shopping off at the hotel I went over to London Bridge and caught a train to East Croydon. Large swathes of track and S & C are missing and a large area of the formation is dug down to foundation level. There were also quite a few noisy boxes on wheels about, identies unknown, as they were not painted green with smoke coming out of one end and missing 4 digit plates on the cabsides at the other.

Also noted that there were no services west of LBG. on the through lines. I also note that some of the possesion(s) are continuing for the rest of the week. I just hope that a lot of you are having the week off.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting these amazing photos - really shows the extent of quart into pint pot that they are struggling with. Has all apparently gone quieter on the commuting problems comments. Has this settled down into a reasonably practical TT now or have people just given up complaining?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting these amazing photos - really shows the extent of quart into pint pot that they are struggling with. Has all apparently gone quieter on the commuting problems comments. Has this settled down into a reasonably practical TT now or have people just given up complaining?

From comments elsewhere on here I think it's something of a mixture.  Clearly some regular travellers have got the message about using alternative routes (something which always takes time to sink in in my experience); train performance is more or less as normal on respect of failures & cancellations etc, i.e. some are happening; there are occasional comments about staffing at London Bridge and the fact that folk on the ground seem to know less about train running problems and late notice changes than the internet savvy passengers.

The most recent horrors were little or nothing to do with the redevelopment per se; Tuesdays' SE line delays were down to a ten minute trespass at Greenwich. Mind you the knock on effects lasted until the end of service, 8 hours or so. The real issue at LBG seemed to be that staff weren't aware that no Sidcup line trains were available for well over an hour and no announcements made. And the suggestion of changing at Lewisham on to an ex Charing Cross train was not useful as the Charing Crossers don't go via Lewisham in the rush. I think there were also Southern problems the same evening judging by other comments on here.

• RMweb Gold

A few shots of mine to add taken a couple of weeks ago, my own shots just not my helicopter...

More of my shots of other London Southern Railway infrastructure can be see here http://grahammuz.com/2015/06/30/something-in-the-air-or-some-london-southern-railway-infrastructure-from-a-helicopter/

lb-shard1.jpglb-shard2.jpg
And one of Borough Market Junction showing the new viaduct
bmj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived