Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pre-ordering is their any point to it?

darren01

The problem with sending someone to China is that it is not a cost that has been forseen in the budgets - for the big manufacturers they might justify the cost, and the staffing (depending upon the CEO's business views). For the smaller manufacturer, or commisioning trader they might not be able to justify the cost or staffing to send someone to China.

You may be right but if a small shop or trader commissions a model & what he gets isn't up to the mark the result could sink him especially if he had to pay up front. Word gets out that the model isn't right & he's stuck with a store full of models which no one wants or he has to sell at a loss just to get some money back. Is that trader going to commission another model ? I think not.

• 2 months later...

I've just had an e mail from a shop asking me if I would like to pre order a Bachmann 2012 catalogue.

Are they nuts ? :O

Why the hell would I want to pre order a catalogue ?

This brings pre ordering to a new level of insanity :crazy: Things are worse that we thought.

• RMweb Premium

my experience of pre-ordering is when I know a model is coming out and I know I want it, I put an order in for it with the shop so that I know I'll be getting one.

Hi

Thats what I do, however, that doesn't actually guarantee you will get one.

I have had two occasions now when I have had preorders and some kind soul has gone awol with my credit card just before I am charged for the item. Now I would expect the shop to hold my item for at least 24 hours to give me a chance to ring up and give them alternative payment details. In both cases this did not happen (I phoned within an hour in one case) and my item was sold leaving me frantically trying to find someone else with stock.

Cheers

Paul

The only thing I ever pre-ordered was tickets to see the most recent Star Trek film at the local flea pit. That was worth doing as there were only a certain number, I wouldn't consider pre-ordering any model railway stuff, but then Star Trek is more important than model railways.....

:lol:

HI Micheal,

I dont think it is normally allowed as how you make the payment there wouldneed to be a delivery within a ceratin period 90 days? and if this then didnt come, the method you made to pay for your item would then not be covered.

I guess if you had an arrangement with a more local shop, a xmas club type payment would be outside of a delivery deadline.

I know what you mean though, and things seem only to get more "bought" before delivered in recent times. If you dont get in soonish then its gone!

Ian

is it possible when pre ordering to pay there and then?

reason being I may have the money to do so at the time but not when the model comes out,

it stops me wasting the money on sweets and crisps and also is nice when a model arrives.

I've just had an e mail from a shop asking me if I would like to pre order a Bachmann 2012 catalogue.

The catalogue will contain some new stuff I'm sure, but if Farish's 2011 record i anything to go by then little of it will see light of day in 2012 so why the rush.

Am I the only one who thinks being asked to pay for a catalog is a cheek. Farish (and the others who do this) are effectively saying 'give me some money so that I can sell my products to you'.

We'll get much more detail of new Farish products, here, before anyone receives a catalog in the post.

....Am I the only one who thinks being asked to pay for a catalog is a cheek. Farish (and the others who do this) are effectively saying 'give me some money so that I can sell my products to you'.

I certainly share this point of view. I recall that, when I was a lad, the Airfix catalogue was given away and (if I recall correctly) so were many other catalogues. Surely catalogues are considered as promotional material and would thus be part of the advertising costs a company has to pay for. Furthermore, now that t'interweb is a major player in the dissemination of information, why not make catalogues available digitally with a lower image quality and at no (or very low) cost, then if you really wanted a catalogue you could order (at a cost) the high image quality paper version.

• RMweb Gold

The 2012 Hornby catalogue has 196 pages (including the outside covers) all printed in full colour and must have cost several £s per copy to produce - at least a fiver and not at all unlikely to be more than that. Hornby offers a few freebie leaflets as well so you don't have to buy a catalogue and, like Bachmann, they have a freely accessible website. So the catalogues from the 'big two' are not exactly essential items and in view of the expense of producing them I doubt if we will ever see them as freebies.

I don't argue with they fact that they are good publicity or that they (hopefully) encourage sales but giving them free to all comers would I suspect amount to a mild form of financial headache (or perhaps a very big headache once the news got around).

Eeek, that Hornby catalogue is nearly £8, you can buy items of rolling stock for that, Bachmann coaches new for £18. I'm glad I'm not into 4mm any more, I think I'll resort to flicking through one in the local model shop instead.

This definitely backs up my Star Trek theory.

Eeek, that Hornby catalogue is nearly £8, you can buy items of rolling stock for that, Bachmann coaches new for £18. I'm glad I'm not into 4mm any more, I think I'll resort to flicking through one in the local model shop instead.

This definitely backs up my Star Trek theory.

Is that the Hornby catalogue that tells you whats not coming out in 2012 :yes: At least Star trek tells you what is coming :P

Is that the Hornby catalogue that tells you whats not coming out in 2012 :yes: At least Star trek tells you what is coming :P

Apart from the time travel episodes that tell you what has happened, what might happen, or perhaps they just cause one of those funny time paradox things and mess with your head.

One thing that put me off some of these catalogues was the lack of an RRP anywhere immediately obvious.

Tower Models goes in for pre-ordering a lot of their exclusive 7mm stuff, which is fair comment considering how quickly a lot of it sells out from there, but there are some times I am glad that I like being an O gauge Trekker.

One point in favour of pre-ordering direct form the manufacturer/from a large supplier is the haphazard way some of the Bachmann models seem to be farmed out to the local model shops via the Bachmann reps, in some cases I have seen stuff on the shelves a week before the official release date, and in others models I wanted to look at (I always looked before buying, saves getting stung and then filling column inches on here whinging about the shortcomings of a model that you have now paid for) were weeks, or months before delivery. Maybe its like the new car registration thing?

• RMweb Premium

The catalogue will contain some new stuff I'm sure, but if Farish's 2011 record i anything to go by then little of it will see light of day in 2012 so why the rush.

Don't forget that Bachmann/Farish catalogue covers an 18 month period. From what was in last year's catalogue there's not a huge amount that haven't already been seen as pre-production models.

According to the Bachmann website we should see the likes of the class 350, Auto-ballasters, FNA, BAA, LNER van, Mk1 FO and sleepers before the 18 months of the 2011 catalogue run out in September.

Perhaps they need to mark the catalogue as being 2012-2013?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived