Sound decoder for Bachmann class 47 and Hornby class 50

Sputnik

Hi,

as an enthusiast of british diesels in the recent years a few 00-models made their way from the UK to Berlin where I live. Till today I am fascinated

by the impressive sound decoders which are available for 00-diesels. Now I ordered a Howes class 33 decoder with standard speaker which is my

first step into the digital model railway world. The next sound decoders shall be for one of my Hornby fifties and my Bachmann class 37 and 47. But

I am not sure if there is enough space for the Howes decoder with standard speaker. Do I have remove anything, f.e. the fan equipment of the fifty

to fit the speaker - I am not sure. What are your experiences?

Tobias

Tobias,

Get yourself a bass enhanced speaker [4 ohm] - if its the V4 sound chip off Howes - check first with Howes.

Unsolder the original round speaker that comes with the sound chip and - Fit the bass enhanced speaker into the fuel tanks on your 33 -Much better sound.

You would have to remove the fuel tanks from the chassis, cut away the top and bottom off the fuel tank.

Super glue the back of the speaker to the under side of the chassis, so the speaker will be facing the track, the glue the two sides of the fuel tank to the speaker sides. :blind:

One of these;

http://www.dccsuppli...roducts_id=3541

• RMweb Gold

casey, what you need to remember is that not everyone has the will, inclination or skills to go round cutting up locos, maybe like me they want the simple life, what may be a simple task to you may well be a nightmare for others!!

the OP states that this is his first foray into sound chips, and my advice tobias would be keep it simple until you are happy with what you feel you can do (forgive me if you are already a modelling and electronics whizz!!), if your confident to modify your locos then go for it, personally id see if sound is for you before you commit to cutting things up

in my experience a lok-sound chip will fit the 33 but you do have to remove the speaker from its housing and put it in a blacktak ring, well you did with the V3.5 but the V4 can use a wider range of speakers so you may be able to fit something smaller under the body

have a look here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13408-best-place-for-speaker-in-Heljan-33/page__hl__heljan%2033__fromsearch__1

likewise bryan at howes fitted a lok-sound to his class 50 without losing the fan using the original speaker.

as for the 47 it should be able to take a rectangular speaker (as per the Bachmann sound model) but it is improved by sealing the speaker, the standard speaker just sits there, i sealed mine with blacktak as usual, again mine is a V3.5 so V4 should offer a wider range of speakers

Again Tobias,

If you want your 47 to sound exciting, then you will need to fit a Bass reflex speaker into the tanks of the 47

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/philbordercollie/PICT0172.jpg

As for a 37 for the Bachmann loco, you will not better a Digitrains Zimo Multi drive sound chip, without doubt the best sounding 37 available

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/manufacturers/digitrainsound.aspx

Personally speaking, if you can fit the sound chip into the Heljan 33 ok, the 47 and 50 will be easy! The 33 was the hardest one I have done, made worse

by it being a 33/2! Space was limited. I have never tried fitting any speakers into the fuel tanks so cannot comment on that route

enjoy the sound

keith

• 2 weeks later...

many thanks for your comments which are good advices for me as a digital beginner, after 30 somehow "conventional" years.

I tried the standard speaker which came together from Howes. But I think I will go with a larger speaker fitted into the tank. Just bought ESU 50330 for that.

Archived