Special Trains on the Waverley Route

'CHARD

It was indeed......

Photographs of this working appear in Steam in Scotland Volume 2, P113 (Oxwellmains? "Two miles south of Dunbar") and in Steam Days June 2012 P341 (Tweedmouth)

There also appear to be photographs taken around the same period in Modern Railways June 1963 P427 (Morningside Road) and Railway Magazine July 1963 P491 (somewhere in the Haymarket area). Unfortunately, my copies of the latter are currently in store so I cannot provide any further details......

Yes, I would say the Steam in Scotland shot was taken not far west of Oxwellmains from the old A1 bridge over the ECML.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

Hi all,

I attach a couple of shots taken at St Boswells c1950s early 60s of The Royal Train with 2 Class 5s 45476 leading and the on the up loop with the The Royal Coaching Stock stabled on the down side sidings.

Obliged if anyone can help with the exact date of this working and also the number of the second Locomotive?post-14135-0-08670100-1354293054.jpgpost-14135-0-20098700-1354293082.jpg

I hope they are of interest.

Regards David

• Like 4

Hi all,

I attach a couple of shots taken at St Boswells c1950s early 60s of The Royal Train with 2 Class 5s 45476 leading and the on the up loop with the The Royal Coaching Stock stabled on the down side sidings.

Obliged if anyone can help with the exact date of this working and also the number of the second Locomotive?post-14135-0-08670100-1354293054.jpgpost-14135-0-20098700-1354293082.jpg

I hope they are of interest.

Regards David

Further to my request for information on the Royal Train at St Boswells, Bruce has kindly given me details of a Special Train working 1X00 on Thursday 5th July 1962 to Coldstream and forward to Kings Cross. One box ticked thanks Bruce.

Regards David

• 2 months later...

With reference to item 74 above and the preceding entries regarding Derby Lightweight DMUs working to Edinburgh, I came across this list of DMU workings which I thought might be of interest. 

attachicon.gif2013 02 21 Waverley Route DMUs 1967-68.jpg

Unfortunately, it has become detached from the covering letter so I have no information on the source.  If you recognise your writing I can only apologise.

Oh this is Holy Grail material.  The makings of a DMUs known to have worked over the Waverley log.

Fantastic and massive thanks for sharing.  What a wonderful record this is!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had relegated this scan long ago to my "also-ran" file.  However, I had a visitor today to suggested I put it on RM Web.

It is, of course, taken as the loco heads out of Hawick away from Burnfoot.  I have no recollection other than I heard the loco come come from Whitrope as it passed the house and I went on my motorbike to Burnfoot to catch it.  I suspect that it would be some time after regular steam workings had gone from the line.

Perhaps it is of interest. 

Bruce

post-5524-0-56868500-1417198346_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I had relegated this scan long ago to my "also-ran" file.  However, I had a visitor today to suggested I put it on RM Web.

It is, of course, taken as the loco heads out of Hawick away from Burnfoot.  I have no recollection other than I heard the loco come come from Whitrope as it passed the house and I went on my motorbike to Burnfoot to catch it.  I suspect that it would be some time after regular steam workings had gone from the line.

Bruce

attachicon.gifNov_28.jpg

There was a lot of discussion about this photo a couple of years ago .... see link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6186-waverley-route-new-image-links-and-discussion/?p=780353

A Britannia or a 9F were the main contenders.

Bruce

attachicon.gifNov_28.jpg

Mr Mac wanted to see this again I believe. PH were out and about taking some photos at Sleepy Valley on Saturday and wondered about the old route Burnfoot Road used to take - did it curve immediately under the bridge?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was there!  Believe it was also the last steam hauled train between Bathgate and Airdrie.

Guess I was there, too!

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=46323

It looks as if 60009 now will head the first train to Tweedbank, so it will cover (obviously) just part of the old Waverley Route.  

A little head-scratcher: what was the last steam-hauled passenger train to cover only part of the Waverley Route?  

• 1 month later...

Could someone do a BIG favour for me?   I'm in Sheffield when 60163 runs on the Borders Railway.

A shot of the 'left hand eccentric crank' of 60163 would be great.  This was the item that the late Robin Barbour's sister chose from the list of mechanical parts to be manufactured for the locomotive from the proceeds of the sale of some of his collection of books.

I'll forward it to her in the States with the note that it was taken on the railway he loved.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bruce

• Like 1

Could someone do a BIG favour for me?   I'm in Sheffield when 60163 runs on the Borders Railway.

A shot of the 'left hand eccentric crank' of 60163 would be great.  This was the item that the late Robin Barbour's sister chose from the list of mechanical parts to be manufactured for the locomotive from the proceeds of the sale of some of his collection of books.

I'll forward it to her in the States with the note that it was taken on the railway he loved.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bruce

May I just bounce this thread for the purposes of amplifying Bruce's very poignant request above, please.  

Robin's photographic legacy has done us many favours, thanks to Bruce's stewardship, and I think many here would love to see this request fulfilled.

• Like 1

I have also enjoyed seeing Robins photos. My grandfather and his father work closely at Hawick Town Council for many years. As Bob Barbour was the Town Clark and my mothers father Sam Wright was the Burgh Chamberlain.

Borthwick Bank

post-368-0-80257600-1442162971_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the fence got in the way at Tweedbank

post-368-0-51568500-1442163080_thumb.jpg

Here is the other one which was more accessible

post-368-0-28441700-1442163228.jpg

I can send the files. the first two are  frames from a video 

• Like 3

Popped along from bathgate to see 60163 yesterday with the two wee fellas in tow, managed to catch her just up from millerhill bang on 11 am. Wonderful sight.

We then headed to boness for thomas day where 62712 with a face stuck on was off more interest to the wee chaps. If only they knew the significance of 60163 running up past millerhill!!

Edited by millerhillboy