Special Trains on the Waverley Route

'CHARD

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The borders railway will see it first Deltic on the 30th, hopefully the rain will stop fro a we while

The rail tour operator's website shows it as being worked by class 66 top and tail.

http://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-waverley/

Deltic or no Deltic I hope to be at Tweedbank to photograph this first inbound excursion from London since the re-opening.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A ticket for a journey from Smalmstown from just south of the MoD Gate to the connection with BR and back.

Motive power was a type 1 Class 20 and the 'carriage' an old - a very old - brake.  

Naturally I didn't have a camera, after all, this had started as a mundane shopping trip to Carlisle, however there was a notice outside the TIC in Longtown advertising these specials so the day became brighter.

Bruce.

post-5524-0-75756900-1455547474_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I’ve just read ‘Starlight Specials’ by Dave Peel. I hadn’t realised till now that some of these trains ran over the Waverley Route. Not many, but since they weren’t included in timetables, I think they qualify for inclusion in this topic.

The book doesn’t contain a comprehensive list of trains, but there is a lot of information there, and it’s quite hard to extract specific details, so this list can’t be guaranteed to be complete – not even to include everything that’s in the book. However, here’s a list of trains I've identified from the book as travelling over all or part of the Waverley Route:

Up trains:

July 29 1955 – Galashiels to St. Pancras

July 6 1956 – Edinburgh Waverley via Hawick and Carlisle to St. Pancras

July 25 1958 - Galashiels via Hawick and Carlisle to St. Pancras

July 22 1960 – Galashiels via Hawick and Carlisle to Marylebone

July 28 1961 – Galashiels via Hawick and Carlisle to Marylebone

July 27 1962 – Galashiels via Hawick and Carlisle to Marylebone

Down trains:

July 22 1956 – St.Pancras via Carlisle and Hawick to Edinburgh Waverley

July 16 1960 – Two trains from Marylebone via Carlisle and Hawick to Edinburgh Waverley

August 6 1960 – Two trains (one leaving after midnight i.e. on August 7) from Marylebone via Carlisle, Hawick and Edinburgh Waverley to Dundee Tay Bridge

August 5 1961 – Marylebone to Galashiels

August 12 1961 – Marylebone via Carlisle and Hawick to Galashiels

August 11 1962 – Marylebone via Carlisle and Hawick to Galashiels

For some of these, times at the stations mentioned are included, also some train numbers, train sizes and tare weights

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On-train footage from The Scottish Lowlander Railtour, 26th September 1964. This was the record-breaking ascent of Whitrope by A4 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley. It also shows the set-back at Carlisle after it had been incorrectly routed straight past Port Carlisle Branch Junction, then taking the correct route. Further tour details can be found at http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/640926sl.html and in Issue 12 of WRHA's journal, "The Waverley" from 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49eKOipkG40

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

60103 romping uphill between Borthwick Bank and Tynehead where the line skirts the top of Maggie Bowie’s Glen. The sun had just emerged from behind a cloud and the 10:45 from Tweedbank had only gone past about 30 seconds earlier, so it was a close run thing! 15th May 2016

Bill

post-13954-0-27349600-1463408403_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Steam trips to Tweedbank for 2016 - two return workings each Sunday from 7th August until 25th September - have just been announced. 46100 will do the honours in August and 60009 in September.

Bill

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-by-rail/steam-train-trips?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletterJune2016

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great trip down the line behind D9009, a railway society had a sales stand at Tweedbank which was a nice touch I hope they raised a few pounds for their cause. Wouldn't it be great if the line was extended but the cost may prevent it, I hope not. The Deltic managed 100mph on the return trip to York - magic!

• Like 1

Had a great trip down the line behind D9009, a railway society had a sales stand at Tweedbank which was a nice touch I hope they raised a few pounds for their cause. Wouldn't it be great if the line was extended but the cost may prevent it, I hope not. The Deltic managed 100mph on the return trip to York - magic!

I only just realised the significance of this!

D9009 was the only Deltic not to have been recorded at Hawick before closure of the line.  

And D9009 went back in post steam br blue which looked like the pics of Pinza D9007 in those shots often seen at Fountainhall and Riccarton. Who would have thought this possible when the line was shut and again when the Deltics were withdrawn, like I said pure magic.

• Like 1

I only just realised the significance of this!

D9009 was the only Deltic not to have been recorded at Hawick before closure of the line.  

.... and it's still not made it to Hawick ..... yet    ;)

p.s. keep up at the back!

Edited by 37175

• 2 weeks later...

What is this hiding in plain view, stage left?

http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p431165606/h26777068#h2c4b2f39

The loco on that tour (The Waverley Railtour) was 60528, not 60529 as on the photo. Having had a look at the Six Bells Junction site and cross referenced the timings therein with my June 65-April 66 ScR passenger timetable, there's nothing there which would fit the diesel hauled train, that is unless either the excursion or one of the timetabled trains was running 3-4 hours late.

The inclusion of the Mark 1 suburban behind the type 4 is curious indeed.

The clue is in the caption to the next or previous photograph.  The Mk1 non corridor coach is the one used to transport school children from Riccarton to Hawick on a down freight.  The coach was presumably detached at Hawick and returned to Carlisle on an up freight and this is the said working.

Interesting to note the suburban non-corridor brake coach behind the loco. This is the back working of the school coach that was used to convey pupils from Riccarton Jct to Hawick in the morning, the youngsters returning by service train after lessons.

That was in fact my comment!  I need to check the timings of that up freight in the WTT, as it will give a passing time at Hawick - it's not inconceivable that the coach went through to Millerhill of course, although there would be plenty of time to recess the down train at Hawick North and drop off the cushions.  The resident pilot could take care of crossing it over during the routine morning yard shunt.

This very human cameo is precisely why I find the era immediately prior to and entering transition so fascinating - the past really is a different country entirely to the sterile system of today.

I don't have a freight WTT for December 1965 but I do have a September '64 to June '65 WTT.  The 4S43 06:30 SX Carlisle - Millerhill is endorsed "Mixed Train Cl 2 Riccarton to Hawick".  This calls at Hawick 08W19 - 08:40 (W = Stops only for water) and arrives Millerhill at 10:07.  There is no corresponding working in the October '66 to March '67 WTT.

That sort-of ties in with when the primary school at Riccarton closed.  I enquired at the Hub in Hawick as they have many school logs but due to privacy concerns, they weren't able to allow me to inspect the Riccarton School log to find the actual date. 

By then the secondary pupils from the Holm had a bus put on for them to Hawick.  Interesting that the photo(s) show just one coach, my late friend who did the journey from the Holm to Hawick High always mentioned 'coaches' and that they played inside them in the yard at Newcastleton if they hadn't been locked over the weekend.  Perhaps after withdrawal of the Holm school train, just one coach was needed and attached at Carlisle.

I worked with a radio/TV firm during the summer holidays in the early 60s.  Not long after the FC road opened from Whitrope to Riccarton, I went along in their van with a TV for one of the houses.  The parents there had several books from Roxburgh County Council for education of their child at home.  Previous to the FC road, the firm would take their van along the trackbed from Saughtree as far as possible and then lug the TV along the track to the house where it was installed.  

What is this hiding in plain view, stage left?

http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p431165606/h26777068#h2c4b2f39

I remember when Peter Robinson uploaded a pile of his photos onto the CRA site in about 2005; what an amazing set of photos. He was a member of the same RCTS branch as me, we held meetings at the Station Hotel in Carnforth and I recall chatting to him on several occasions. He was quite interested when I gave my first ever talk about the Waverley Route around 1999 and later gave permission for WRHA to use his photos in the journals. A sadly missed chap.

This photo was used as the rear cover of journal 9, an amazing ten years ago almost to the month! I'd deduced the erroneous number of the A2, but can't fathom my reasoning for captioning the 40 as being on an express - especially as I'd seen the other, earlier, photo of it!

j09_cover.png