RMweb

What sort of thread is best to rig the Dapol crane ?

I have almost finished building and painting the Dapol OO gauge crane kit. What sort of thread would look best to rig this crane ? I have used chains on smaller cranes such as that made by Cambrian Models but the Dapol crane was fitted with steel cables. Most cotton is too thin and it would not hang properley. What have others used to get the right look ?

Would a type of fishing line or similar be better to avoid going fluffy after a while? I doubt you could make out the makeup of steel cable in 4mm for the one piece solid affair might work better.

That is the problem : Cotton would go fluffy like you said. There is polyester cotton but it is very thin and it does not look right. I have heard of people using fishing line but surely this is too stiff ? I can't see how it would ''hang'' properley but I do not know much about fishing line ! It is a pity that this type of crane did not use chain ; chain always looks great.

Edited by brian777999

I used a normal white cotton pulled between thumb and forefinger coated in a rusty brown Tamiya undiluted acrylic. It needs to be pulled through a couple of times to ensure its coated on sides. The acylic seems to slightly stiffen the cotton , seems to bind the fluffy threads together, such that with just the slightest weight of a small amount of lifting chain on the hook, it hangs realisticly, which fishing line would never do.

See http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

I think it is amazing that you still have a kit that you built 50 years ago !

Edited by brian777999

I have struck another problem......cranes are full of problems ! The winding drums have become stuck fast with paint. I cannot budge them with the plastic tool (it broke). I need to be able to turn these when it comes time to rig the crane and wind the cable around the drums. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by brian777999

Craft shops like Hobbycraft and The Range stock beading wire, (jewelry making craft area) I have some 34SWG/0.23mm (£1 for 24yds) 2 or 3 strands of that twisted together might do the trick. 38SWG/0.15mm wire would probably be even better, but I've only seen it as either insulated/enamelled or as part of 7 strand cable (7x0.15) which you'd have to unravel and re-twist up 2 or 3 strarnds

• Like 1

Craft shops like Hobbycraft and The Range stock beading wire, (jewelry making craft area) I have some 34SWG/0.23mm (£1 for 24yds) 2 or 3 strands of that twisted together might do the trick. 38SWG/0.15mm wire would probably be even better, but I've only seen it as either insulated/enamelled or as part of 7 strand cable (7x0.15) which you'd have to unravel and re-twist up 2 or 3 strarnds

There is also something called 'beading thread', which you'll find in the same part of the shop; this doesn't fray noticeably. I've used it to simulate rope for tying-down loads.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...
11 hours ago, ikcdab said:

I am building one of these but I have lost the instructions. Can anyone send me the rigging details or a scan of the instructions?

Thanks

Hi Ikcdab,

Here are two photos of my bashed Dapol crane shewing the rigging if it helps.

Paul Bartletts site is useful too:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbooth0-8-0

DSCF0510.JPG.5d97825e18e0da3b7dfaa40ba184e84b.JPG

DSCF0513.JPG.e66f9dcbdc685fe3fe9c3874756e4f89.JPG

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium

Don't use an RMWeb thread; it'll wander and drift all over the place.

if it gets too bad it'll get locked then nothing will move.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Did mine with a heavy duty brown thread (button?) back in 1995. Nothing special. just bought from the thread counter at Boyes in Whitby. No problem with that, however, it has been in a box in the damp garage for about 15 of the subsequent years (hence the white mould on the pictures attached to the PVA/paint mix) (NB Updated - Nov 2022; that white mould subsequently removed).

I during that time I've also lost the instructions on how to raise/lower the jib! I believe it needs a square tool, also lost. Unless I can get the paint off the cab unit to start again I may have to buy and build another one.  The chassis and jib painting I did I'm still fairly happy with but not the cab unit.

In these two pictures the thread was not under load.

Edit: The main problem is lack of weight in the hook to keep the thread taught.

IMG_0321-crop-and-adjust-sized.jpg

IMG_0318-crop-and-adjust-sized.jpg

Edited by john new
Photos reloaded post the site crash

Good evening Brian, Whipping silk/cotton from fishing tackle shops. Many grades available and it does not 'fluff' up. I am a sea angler who build's my own rod's from 'raw rod blanks'. Whipping my rod rings myself from the range of whipping 'silks' available from tackle shops. I am also a marine modeller and the same material is my first choice for light / medium rigging. For mooring ropes and such as I use tanned 'Cod-line'. Regards. Harry Lamb.       

Edited by harry lamb
  • Informative/Useful 1