Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What does RMweb actually mean to you?

Andy Y

Appologies if this has been said before but for me it is the first place I go when I log on to the internet. It's the best place to get advice and inspiration and I can look at it all when it suits me! I lead , like i'm sure most others, a very busy life and am not able to commit myself to a modelling club so the RMweb is perfect. There is so much advice on almost everything and everyone is really friendly and open.

Rmweb long may it reign!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Appologies if this has been said before but for me it is the first place I go when I log on to the internet. It's the best place to get advice and inspiration and I can look at it all when it suits me! I lead , like i'm sure most others, a very busy life and am not able to commit myself to a modelling club so the RMweb is perfect. There is so much advice on almost everything and everyone is really friendly and open.

Rmweb long may it reign!!!!

I think you've just about summed up my feelings!

I belong to a (very) small club, but generally prefer to do my own thing - I find RMWeb a very useful source of information that it would take ages to find elsewhere, assuming said info is available in the first place. It's also refreshing to see so much REAL modelling going on!

Andy,

I feel it's like one big railway modelling family.

Sharing information, seeing some wonderful examples of modelling - inspiration, frustration, let off steam at times.

All in a very well mannered group.

Downside - spend too much time on it.

Best wishes,

Peter

You could say that, i am the toddler that trys to grab a vase and gets my hand smacked :( :)

I also think of it as more of a perfect neighbour hood

RMweb is a great place for those of us who like trains (any sort of trains) to compare notes

We have great modellers, professional railway persons, artists, who are all willing to swap some info.... then you get people like me who are all and none of them who just like being able to add a bit and leanrn a lot

^This is good.

Well, posting my modelling efforts on RMweb has improved my confidence no end, it also keeps my interest alive in the hobby, previously I would start a project and it would sit for months until something rekindled my interest briefly or an exhibition came up and it needed finishing. There are also some people on here who really know their stuff and have the type of information available that you can't get from books, or it would take hundreds of pounds in the finding, the amount of knowledge on this forum is amazing when you look at it.

There is also MI, which is probably the most rounded modelling magazine I've found to date, and I would happily pay for.

So, what's next Andy, RMweb: The Movie?

As has been said, the RM Web is considered to be (a big) model railway club, I also consider it to be an imalgamation of all the modellling magazines available. It is great to be able to follow projects during the building, and to comment or ask advice on what has been done, seeing layouts that you may not be able to see because of distances or because the owners do not exhibit their work, also to get previews/reviews of exhibitions that people have attended. Andy deserves all the praise he gets from running the site and developing it to what it is today.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Its a club without commitment, a large pool of modelling talent to continually inspire and impress me, as well as providing the encouragement to keep going with my modest efforts. However the the biggest plus for me is the new friends I have made both virtual and personal. I now have 'train friends' as SWMBO puts it, something I have never had the chance of before within our circle of friends, I now have people I can visit exhibitions and the real railway with which makes it far more enjoyable.

Cheers Andy I owe you one! :)

Taking note of both comments above, I would still be happy to subscribe, but i'm not saying it needs to be obligatory, and if I am subscribing I do not expect any special privildges.

This site, Andy Y and the moderators, and all the members are a very valuble resourse and I would think that those that can or wish to provide funding could.

If you look in the 'important admin notices' section you will see that for the last two years Andy has organised a forum fundraising raffle. Associated with that is a donation mechanism which I assume still functions with or without a raffle:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/Donate.htm

If you look in the 'important admin notices' section you will see that for the last two years Andy has organised a forum fundraising raffle. Associated with that is a donation mechanism which I assume still functions with or without a raffle:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/Donate.htm

Thanks for that link - I've added it to my favorites!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Echoing earlier posts this is the first site, I always log onto.I stopped taking magazines yrs ago, and used to potter with the hobby. Only occassionally taking the obligatory magazine usually the christmas issues.I discoverd a whole new world, when I first joined the old forum.

.Not realising how much the hobby has advanced since I was a member of my last club(Birtley model railway club) back in the eighties.

Again echoing earlier posts it is one big happy family and SO INSPIRATIONAL!!

Thanks Guys

For me, it's my "local" model railway club and I share all the positive feelings expressed by so many other RMWebbers. I've made some good chums on RMWeb and I appreciate the feedback I get on my modelling efforts (it's a lonely job modelling GWR in Switzerland :this: but someone's got to do it...)

RMWeb works well 98% of the time, although for the remaining 2% sometimes I think people can get on their "hobby horses" and sometimes criticism can deviate from what I'd consider appropriate (i.e. fact-based, objective and non-confontational), but these things are certainly NOT representative of RMWeb at its best.

As for elitism, I think the only elitism RMWeb encourages is that of the very highest standard of modelling.

F

p.s. I'd like to thank Olddudders for the promotion to Oncologist, :smoke: Alas, I am a rather more prosaic oncology drug developer (although I do know loads about oncology drugs...)

• RMweb Gold

RMweb has helped me to get as far as I have with my model railway, but has also prevented me getting further. I wouldn't have known how to build baseboards, lay track, started mucking about with scenery, fitted decoders, lights......... the list goes on. Unfortunately, it's taken a long time to read stuff, and I get stuck in the threads, and whilst I'm learning stuff, I'm not doing stuff.

Long live the community!

Archived