Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What does RMweb actually mean to you?

Andy Y

Over a cup of tea today I stopped to reflect a little on RMweb and what it is rather than just ploughing on with whatever needed doing at that point, partly helped by the fact it's Thanksgiving in the U.S. so I couldn't communicate with the software company on the ongoing issues (which thankfully seem to be improving after some drastic measures).

From a wider perspective I think it's actually democratised the hobby here, made skills and knowledge more accessible to modellers and created a platform where different talents outside the scope of a selective editorship have been shown. It sits in a different place somewhere in between manufacturer, customer, retailer and publisher in a form of symbiotic relationship. Obviously there are parties in each of those areas who choose not to engage with the 'net or this site so it's certainly not all-encompassing but I feel it does now have a form of its own. It's been great to see events over the years, modelling projects that emerge in real time, people learning and passing on skills and the dialogue and relationships that form within a community.

Prompted by one of these spammy emails about search engine optimisation I though I'd use Alexa to see where RMweb sits in comparison with other key hobby sites and from the sites that I checked up on, I've probably missed out something significant, RMweb appears to be the ranked 4th in the model railway hobby sites around the world behind trains.com, katomodels.com and walthers.com. So when the site's playing up it's hardly any wonder some days.

This topic certainly isn't intended to be an invitation to blow smoke up anywhere (so please don't); I'm more interested to find out a few tales about RMweb has been an influence or help to someone and maybe find a few things that otherwise would never happened.

So, coming back to the thanksgiving bit I'd like to give thanks to everyone who's gone out of there way for someone, shown us something special and especially those who've helped keep the place going through thick and thin.

• RMweb Gold

RMWeb is warm. There are people on here I could hug (I'm very hetero, married, all that stuff, so no alternative agenda in that remark!). Lots of people I can respect. Lots of fine modelling. Lots of things I hadn't thought of. Lots of learning. Inspiration. Youngsters doing great things. Professional railwaymen - as I used to be (allegedly). And yes, there are people I avoid. Their attitude is always glass-half-empty, down-in-the-mouth - but they are a tiny minority, names will not be named, and sometimes they get better with acquaintance. I spend a lot of time on here - 'nuff said.

Its difficult to put a finger on a #1 meaning, however...

rmweb gives me an outlet in which I can discuss the hobby. Like many of us, all my friends have no such interest and being able to waffle on about the subject is a rare opportunity. I feel confident that I can ask a simple question and not be rediculed or called a boring sod. Being someone who is setting out on a new layout theres many things I don't know and wish to ask without being made to look a fool.

The rules are straightforward and easy to follow, my only criticism being the bandwidth issues as mentioned.

To me it is a place, a club, a community, and I don't half miss it when it's broken or I'm away. I don't profess to be much of a modeller, but I hope that some of my words have been of use to people.

The real magic is the immediacy of the content. It's a fair bet that bythe time I have fumbled my way through typing this someone faster will have beaten me to it! It has been a Godsend to me over the last three years which have been the most difficult of my life, and I say a great big thank you to Andy, the team and all members.

Ed

To me it is a place, a club, a community, and I don't half miss it when it's broken or I'm away. I don't profess to be much of a modeller, but I hope that some of my words have been of use to people.

I had a very long winded paragraph written up, but I think Ed's words express my feelings better than I can express them myself!

I would add to that, I discovered RMweb at a very dark time in my life, and in some respects the sudden re-emergence of my hobby in my life has been down to RMweb, and that has certainly kept me going through the dark times. In short, thank you RMweb.

Guest baldrick25

For me, joining RMWeb has widened my personal horizons considerably . Having been modelling/ pottering with model railways for 50 + years , my circle was at most a few other like minded souls, where trying new tricks, was fraught with problems and dead ends.

It taught me that I went from a tabletop modeller to a worldwide modeller, feeling confident to get to grips with the vagaries of DCC, automation, and taking them all completely in my stride. My modelling techniques advanced in leaps and bounds .

RMWeb is the first tab to be opened when the PC is powered up, and the last to closed, clicking 'view new content ' as and when its convenient. Its allowed me to find 'whats on' up and down the country, and allowed me to select which bits of that suit me personally. Of course I've made mistakes , who doesn't , but RMweb has been the springboard to get it right next time.

Going to Stafford last year for the RMWeb day allowed me to meet Andy, and others, and some of that enthusiasm has rubbed off on me. Can't wait for RMWeb Stafford 2012!

Good to see it going from strength to strength, and now with the addition of RMWeb Modelling Inspiration .... Wow what a belter that is.

Well done to AndyY for the foresight and persistence. , Its much appreciated.

What a nice, warm, positive topic. The short answer to what it means to me is that it is my modelling club. I come here for advice, inspiration and encouragement, and seem to get the addition of news, reviews and a free magazine now as well!

It has certainly evolved over the years I've been using the site, and hasn't been better than it is now in my view. We seem to have an open, positive atmosphere, with very few of the silly threads we saw a few years back.

When I look back at my modelling skills when I joined the site compared to now, I can hand on heart say this website drove that improvement, so thanks to Andy and everyone who contributes each day!

David

• RMweb Premium

For me, particularly recently with my unemployment and seemingly useless job prospects, RMweb has been a helpful support. Even though modelling has had to take a very distant back seat, it has a community that is in general supportive, thoughtful and helpful. Even when I've made posts that haven't been in tune with most people, they haven't completely lambasted me. I only wish my own personality was more capable of being sociable, but that is something I will always struggle with. If I've come across as cold or weak I can only apologize. There are some members I'd like to thank personally but won't do here for fear of embarrassing them, and one or two who may think me awkward or problematic, to them, again, I can only apologize.

Right now the most useful aspect has been the Marketplace. Instead of having to sell things to all and sundry via eBay, it has allowed me to sell more specifically to railway modellers. The recent cull of my items has been fairly successful (although the wagons and coaches have been a bit slow). It still needs a few bits improving and it was suffering with the recent server issues, but overall it's been a positive selling experience for me.

Most of all though, I'd like to thank Andy Y for continuing with the RMweb concept. Long may it continue, and not be a burden to him.

RMweb is a place where I'm surrounded by like minded people who appraise my achievements, give fair and constructive feedback

It is also somewhere I can and have showcased my modelling ability/inability and has spurred me on in times of total crap such as when I was made redundant and was not too far from selling the lot!

It has taught me that there are many individuals like me who with a bit of encouragement can achieve Great little things !!!

Thank you Andy :)

To me, RMweb is a natural place to share ideas and seek information. It is always there when I'm waiting for paint to dry, or when Mrs. coach is hogging the Tele. It's my local. The biggies for me are the immediacy and the images. The product reviews have come such a long way in the past 12 months, for example, the sight of a non-waggling Compound convinced me I should be spending with the NRM. No picture in the world would show that. What does RMweb mean to me? Quite a lot actually.

With Andy at the helm and the rest of us his shipmates, the good ship RM has been sailing on through unchartered waters for quite a few years and discoved many new territories. Few folk have had to dance at the gratings or walked the plank of late and so with a good wind and a jolly captain, we have much to look forward to.

Well Andy its all thanks to you that we have a fantastic place for meeting as said a community where we all have a common ground and all enjoy talking about railways in all shapes and form. I have met loads of great people who have helped me with problems or who have pointed out different techniques . And I think with out RMweb I wouldn't be the modeller that I am (Well getting better) Also i think RMweb has also broken barriers and encouraged younger members to join in with our fantastic hobby something which i am a big believer in. And that its something we should be proud of.

Big thank you from me.

Scott

While I think most of what I feel about here, has already been said (5 7? more time since I started this!)

- I have made some great friends on here, learned a lot, been inspired a lot, tried a few things I've never tackled before ("knowing" that I know something but actually doing (& proving!) before I tell anyone about it!) and hopefully, passed a small amount of knowledge back.

What else? Oh yes!

I've been able to help occasional people out with the odd item I had spare and been able to get hold of some things that I've wanted!

I've even nearly started layouts based in the following locations;

Scotland,

Cumbria,

Ireland,

Australia - all because of great things I've seen here!

I'm on here with my first cuppa of the day, the last cuppa and often, a few in-between.

As Ian (Olddudders) said, RMweb is a warm and friendly place and I'd struggle without it (even needing a fix when abroad!).

So, THANKS RMWeb and all who make her possible!

Cheers,

John E.

thanks to Andy and everyone who contributes each day!

Absolutely, a big thank you to those who spend time above and beyond the call of duty generally fettling the mysterious workings of RMWeb, and also to those who, after grappling with some modelling challenge (that may, or may not have worked out right!) take an extra half an hour to communicate their triumphs and frustrations! An important thing that you are unlikely to see in printed magazines is the development of other peoples skills in real time.

Most of all it makes the modelling world around you bigger, and smaller, at the same time. One minute, you can be in Australia, the next watching an update from a show you went to, showing a layout in a corner you somehow missed!

the world getting 'smaller' can have unexpected consequences.. I managed to electronically 'bump into' an ex work colleague and good friend who had moved to a distant southern end of the country, via RMWeb, who otherwise I might have lost contact with or seen once in a blue moon. This character (he knows who he is) has spurred me on enormously by constantly raising the bar modelling wise and giving me something to strive for, which is the same for so much of what appears online here!

Guest dilbert

In a nutshell :

• A place where people from a diverse backgrounds can share their interest in model railways
  • no geographical boundaries in both the literal and modelling sense
  • covers a wide range of subjects (a website is the only media that can cope with this)
  • ask a question, it's rare that you won't get a reply
  • etc...

I well recall the incarnation (and subsequent rebirths) of RMweb in March 2005 - a fledgling newcomer somewhere out on the fringe. RMweb has progressively become mainstream in a positive way and moved significantly towards the centre without losing some of that fringe mentality - hopefully, looking to the future, this continues... dilbert

Rm web means many thing to me. The fellow modellers always find to help out people with answers even to the most mondane questions, no matter what the question there is always an answer and always full of praise to fellow modellers. I would also like to add that it fells like one big family and its number one to me As the rm web family grows I'm sure it will eventually become number one on the world wide web .

I've probably missed out something significant, RMweb appears to be the ranked 4th in the model railway hobby sites around the world behind trains.com, katomodels.com and walthers.com.

Wow! Going into nostalgia mode, I can remember RMweb 1.5, when we had less than a thousand members and it was very easy to keep up with the unread topics - hasn't it changed!

I've met some great people through the site, and it has had an influence on my modelling to date, I'd not have had several photos and an article published in the national magazines without it. In short, it's the only club I've ever joined, and probably the only one that I ever will! And wot Mickey said :)

Having been a member of the various RMWebs since it grew out of the dissatisfaction of a forum where you couldn't post photos, plans etc (and probably having the smallest post count in all those years!!) it has

- given me somewhere to post my amateurish attempts at modelling

- somewhere to ask for help - which is always freely given and often goes the extra mile

- somewhere where I can offer help/advice with my limited knowledge - which is a nice feeling to give something back

- a source of inspiration

- taken up too much modelling time

there are probably many more things, but I'm not the best person for putting things into words - so thanks everyone :)

Andy,

For me its an exhibition I can attend whenever I want, and can even exhibit my own work for others to see from time to time. Rather than waste modelling time, I would say the opposite - often a good dig around this site inspires me to pick up the paintbrush and powders and get stuck in when inspiration levels are low.

I've dipped in and out from the early versions onwards and my modelling is better for it - without question.

• RMweb Gold

Much of what I want to say ghas already been said, but I will add:

Since finding RMWeb I've got back into modelling instead of thinking about it.

I've gained a lot of inspiration from the work of others.

I hope my photos sometimes help others, as others help me (often unwittingly).

Probably the first and last site I visit each day (as well as many times in between).

Far far better than any club I've ever belonged to - friendly, helpful and polite..

David

Edited because (as usual) I can't spell when I type.

• RMweb Gold

As others have said, it's having the ability to make contact with all levels of knowledge from all over the world. I'm quite often amazed at the threads discussing the intricacies of underframes or rollerbearings on wagons, to the in-depth discussions about railway procedure, to the methods used to scratch-build a loco. RMweb gives me the chance to converse with those that have this knowledge, or just to read their words. How many books would I need to achieve the same ?

RMweb also gives me a platform to show my own modelling - and the encouragement, help and advice to improve what I do.

At first, Andy's thread about the future of retailers, with having to carry so much stock, seemed to me to be outside the boundries of what RMweb was about, but as I read the posts, and understood the perpective, I can see that RMweb is bigger than 'just' a modelling website - it is a large and effective mouthpiece which can, and does, influence all areas of the hobby.

So thanks, not only to Andy & the team who provide the facility, but to each and every member who has made a positve contribution over the years - without you all, it is nothing.

I'll chip in whilst awaiting Thanksgiving Dinner:

ⶠCompanionship of like-minded individuals without joining a club. Me and clubs do not get on!

â· Exchange of information (make sure it is not all one-way).

⸠Ditto of ideas.

âž Photographs and Video sharing.

⺠Confidence gaining.

â» A mouthpiece for our hobby.

â¼ My main interests lay in North American operations but I love UK stuff too, not many Forums cover all the angles like RMWeb - that is a real God-send when 4,000 miles away.

â½ I'll probably think of something else too but no one will harass me for doing so.....

Dinner beckons.

Best, Pete.

Archived