The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

I saw a version (different sign) of that in a different thread and the supposition was it was for the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday (Fat Tuesday[?]) when a lot of pancake suppers are given. Our church used to do that, at least before the lockdown.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

it was for the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday (Fat Tuesday[?]) when a lot of pancake suppers are given.

Dave, Mardi Gras (literally "Fat Tuesday") is know as Shrove Tuesday and "Pancake Day" in the UK.  (Pancakes being cooked in fat/oil.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Dave, Mardi Gras (literally "Fat Tuesday") is know as Shrove Tuesday and "Pancake Day" in the UK.  (Pancakes being cooked in fat/oil.)

Same over here, I just could not remember the correct name.

• Like 3

On 23/02/2023 at 18:40, J. S. Bach said:

I saw a version (different sign) of that in a different thread and the supposition was it was for the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday (Fat Tuesday[?]) when a lot of pancake suppers are given. Our church used to do that, at least before the lockdown.

My late Father in Law was best described  as "rather intolerant".  I remember my wife winding him up by telling him that to ensure that the ethnic groups did not feel left out, every other Pancake Tuesday would be called Chipati Tuesday, talk about lighting the blue touch paper🤣

Jim

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

My late Father in Law was best described  as "rather intolerant".  I remember my wife winding him up by telling him that to ensure that the ethnic groups did not feel left out, every other Pancake Tuesday would be called Chipati Tuesday, talk about lighting the blue touch paper🤣

Jim

We've got one of these up the pub, and if he's not ranting against political correctness, thereby proving the need for political correctness, it's still about the EU, which he is still convinced is running the UK government from Brussels; Brexit is a conpiracy theory.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We've got one of these up the pub, and if he's not ranting against political correctness, thereby proving the need for political correctness, it's still about the EU, which he is still convinced is running the UK government from Brussels; Brexit is a conpiracy theory.

When are people like that going to realise the major flaw in their ranting...     the EU couldn't run a tap, let alone run the UK Gov't, which doesn't even know what a tap is.

UK gov't credibility doesn't improve when their choice of clean energy source to 'back' was and still is, wind farms.  Clearly, not one voice in the green leather polishing factory, has indicated that they payed the slightest interest to their Physics or Geography lessons at very basic science level.  

Not to rant, it's pointless, but consideration of energy levels available from, the obvious, free energy sources {generally seen as Sun, Sea, Wind} and their predictable availability, in the UK, makes their devoted support for major areas of wind farms a mockery of their collective{?}  ability for logical reasoning / physics / true costs.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't rememeber if i posted this before, but if i did then it was wiped out with the great image loss and is worth repeating. Watchet, west Somerset.

Another case of stating the obvious.

Ian

421455243_20211013_135934(1).jpg.40cf190a322b480ad2cf070bd3d06d70.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 7