Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

Great pics Jason, I am sure they will create a lot of interest and you may even get some commissions, the overall shot is really impressive and I just want to know; does it go strait into a fiddle yard or is there another side to the layout?

From that overall shot it reminds me of Frank Dyers Borchester Market, great stuff mate, well done YET AGAIN. :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Jason,

I agree wholeheartedly with all the positive comments made by others. You really have captured the essence of a grimy mill town and the railway set in its environment.

I very much look forward to the chance to see it in the flesh some time in the future.

Great modelling,

Dave.

Edited by Dave Holt

• RMweb Premium

You already know the answer to that, burger all :D

Cheers for popping by, was good to put the World to rights for a while (debt, PPPI, Bentleys, etc. You name it, we talked about it). Cheers for stepping whilst I nipped off for a gasper and a hot dog. Same to Frank who covered for me later, without being asked!

I had a great day, it still surprises me that people are interested in my shoddy efforts but people stopped of a look, chat and advice all day long. Questions were mainly about painting the stonework, what layout were they for, the Chopper thing I bought a while ago, what materials I used and why, and one chap asked which Metcalfe kits they were :D

• Like 4

Metcalfe? :no:  :no:  :no:  that's right up my STREET, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahahahhaa

Great stuff mate and I bet you talked all day without stopping for breath, hahah

Is there another side to Bacup? or is the overall pic all there is?

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

That's the lot Andy, 13' x 3' with the fiddle yard (when I build the replacement one) being off at 90 degrees in the top right hand corner. There will be an extra 1' something added to the station end to site the Lancashire Sock building at some point but it will be purely scenic.

• Like 1

Really like this Jason. How about a horse drawn coal wagon I remember these in the mid fifties in Reading.

Don

And into the mid-60's in many parts of the North-West! Alty's (coal merchants and funeral directors, believe it or not!) springs to mind in Blackburn. Slater's have a nice goods delivery dray (Kit 4A23) which is ideal but I'd forget the horse, rather better are the ones from Monty's Model's. Shire Horse (A17) with coalmen from the same (MSV40 & MSV41)!

Another thought is the rag-and-bone man with similar transport. A character all too common in the NW during that period!

Regards

Bill

Ok, so I was bored waiting for paint to dry and preparing gutters, etc.

The bloody bus, you know the one. The one that has been parked up by the shop, ready to go under the railway bridge for the past 18 months as the World around it has been created. It was there before the bridge was even built. Well, that whole time, it literally was parked up because there was no driver.

What a shocking state of affairs; a Ribble bus, miles from home, with no driver, no conductor and no passengers. Well, an advert was put in local rag for a driver and conductor and I am happy to say that we had three applicants, two who were successful. The driver used to work for Airfix as 'Man with pickaxe continuously held aloft' and the conductor, well I'm not sure what his previous job was. The unsuccessful applicant went for the position of driver but unfortunately, his arms were made of foam and as such, even after surgery, just weren't up to the job (even with Superglue, his arm wouldn't stay in position although when I got peeved and stuck his stupid arm to his face, shoulder first, it stuck fast and he looked like an elephant hybrid). His previous job had been with Hornby, as 'Short man who continually walks around carrying a wide box'.

Passengers, upon actually seeing a driver and conductor, flocked to get on and see whereabouts in the Ribble Valley this contraption would take them. All three of them. On board, we have short man with a bowler hat, badly moulded old woman and young woman with a bucket, although she left the bucket at home.

Disappointment awaits these keen daytrippers though, as it's a toy bus and therefore doesn't have an engine. They should have caught the DMU from the station instead, and enjoyed a thrilling 1/4 mile trip to the truncated Fiddle Yard next to my work laptop and some glue bottles. This is most definitely the age of the train.

(and yes, I will be doing a lot more work on the bus at some point ;) )

bus001_zps79f71957.jpg

bus002_zps194fa497.jpg

Seeing the Irwins advert on the bus reminded me that I have a photo of a tiled sign that was still fixed to the wall of one of their former shops (they were taken over by TESCO in about 1960ish).

It was in Birkenhead but if they had a store in Bacup it, or something like it, may have fitted to the shop.

post-6748-0-36588200-1379884741_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

-- One very small niggle - I  hesitate to mention it but it has cropped-up in another RM Web thread - for your steel coal wagons, (page 60. - Goods yard surface.),  the white stripe denoting the hinged end should not  run as a diagonal but the UPPER end should coincide with the line of the hinge.

- :-)

Edited by unclebobkt

You know, now that creosote has been banned for a long time,I've not much idea what old creosote looks like. Strangely I still remember the smell.

-- Creosote has been banned?  Good heavens - so what does one use to preserve timbering?

- The only alternative of wch. I know is 'Cuprinol.' - a ghastly green colour, if I mistake not?  But then possibly that, too,  has been banned,  as I believe that it's copper-based?

- You may see that I'm working my way through this thread, albeit slowly, (a couple or so weeks, to date.), - plenty of valuable info. and useful tips herein!  Plus, of course, all of those delightful and other threads mentioned; the main lines and branch lines of railway modelling,  (and of much else, besides.),.

It's the positioning of the upper end of the white diagonal which is being questioned. Yes, it does denote the end door and generally runs from the inner bottom corner of the end panel, up to the level of the end door hinge, which is a foot or so below the top of the wagon. However, though that was the standard positioning, I'm pretty sure I've read that some diagonals did run to the top corner as in Jason's models. I think it's been discussed on the forum more than once.

As for creosote and related products, it's banned for domestic/amateur use and for sale to the general public it is, however, still used by professionals and industry. Prolonged skin contact has been associated with various cancers, as are many other coke oven by-products.

• RMweb Premium

What with you Biking :O  and Jeff Hiking :no:  I feel like a couch patato :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: , I will have to get Dee to do me a coffee :beee: .

Bodgit :locomotive:

Hi Andy

Leave all this exercise stuff to them younguns....they will so learn that when it hurts it is time to give up.