Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian, but there is no way I am scribing my own cobbles and setts; not for the street (which will be mainly out of view) and absolutely not for the goods yard as I'd still be doing it in 2030. As for the link to the HO cobbles, I personally reckon the Howard Scenics look better and have just the right amount of relief to them, e.g. hardly any. Out of curiosity, I've just measured the depth of the recess on the Wills cobbled sheets (I have a few left over from my previous layout) and it is 0.5mm which equates to 1.5" - a fair depth.

I'm going to take a look at the Freestone ones if the snow will let me get to Leamington Show on Saturday and hopefully they will be suitable.

Jason

I have followed this since you started to fill the corner in with the old Mill and then the houses up the hill and it has been great to see it grow and develop, I just wish I could keep up with your output. I don't know how you manage it with building a cart shed in between as well.

Those cobbles are looking good too, I just wish I had somewhere to put some on my layout bit I've not seen any on the photographs yet - maybe I just need to look harder.

I look forward to seeing more and am intending to get to Doncaster to get a closer look at your BCB work.

Jim

Hi Jason

As I mentioned in post #685 granite cobbles tend to have a glassy sheen which can be either green or brown depending on source. The best way to achieve it is to add two drops of mid green or brown to a jar of Humbrol SatinCote and coat the cobbles after all the weathering is done. This gives a subtle overall sheen to the cobbles without looking 'wet'. Have a look at the cobbles outside Lancaster Station in my thread. It's subtle but it is noticeable!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

Jason

I have been following this as I have been with Kirkby Luneside.

The level of detail you achieve is amazing and something that I endevour to teach myself.

I only have one complaint. That is, since your discussion about chimneys, I can't go anywhere without looking at the different types even though there will be none on my layout.

Great tutorial on how you construct your building and an excellent job on the cart shed for BCB.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments folks :)

Hi Jason

As I mentioned in post #685 granite cobbles tend to have a glassy sheen which can be either green or brown depending on source. The best way to achieve it is to add two drops of mid green or brown to a jar of Humbrol SatinCote and coat the cobbles after all the weathering is done. This gives a subtle overall sheen to the cobbles without looking 'wet'. Have a look at the cobbles outside Lancaster Station in my thread. It's subtle but it is noticeable!

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

I did actually paint a section up as you suggested but then I found the below photo and it looks pretty dull. I know that this is a long view but when you look up the street on the layout, this is (rightly or wrongly) what I want to achieve looks-wise, and they look matt and stone coloured. It's a bit patchy at the moment but I reckon it's getting there. Maybe it's the 30' rule coming into play?

BacupCobbles.jpg  Grass004.jpg

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

p.s. I know Lancaster Station forecourt so very well; I have walked up that road many thousands of times to go shopping, get drunk, etc. I also know the bushes off the side of the Morecambe platforms quite well, but that's not a story for a family forum :D :D

• RMweb Premium

I've all but finished off the cobbles (although the new ones at the top of the street need toning down a bit) and have also been messing around with my static grass applicator, trying to not go overboard.

I only noticed when I saw the photo how much greyer these cobbles are than the others, which is why I have glued down, blended in and flocked the banking before sorting them. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out though

Grassybits007.jpg

I 'made' some brambles from horsehair. 

Grassybits009.jpg

I need to make some gates and also weather the ballast a bit:

Grassybits001.jpg

Grassybits003.jpg

Grassybits005.jpg

The field near the mill. A bit too uniform at the moment:

Grassybits013.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Fiddly job no. 235 - cutting out, glueing on and then painting the back and edge of the totems. As per the prototype, the totems are attached over the ladder rests, meaning that I will need to model the moveable ladder that the lamplighter would have used - really looking forward to that :(

Totems002.jpg

Off to Leamington soon to deliver the BCB cart shed. Luckily, there has been no snow overnight and if anything, what is here seems to be thawing now.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Andy C / Steve, are these the correct chimney pots? They look a lot closer to me than the ones in the photo on the previous stage.

If they are, Freestone can do me a bulk lot at a discounted price and as they are only down the road, I can nip round to get them.

ChimneyPots004.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy C / Steve, are these the correct chimney pots? They look a lot closer to me than the ones in the photo on the previous stage.

If they are, Freestone can do me a bulk lot at a discounted price and as they are only down the road, I can nip round to get them.

Jason,

I think they're a great improvement on the plain ones, but would be even better with a square section rather than round.

Have you thought of making a Master by 3D-Printing and then have some Resin castings made from that?

Just need someone with a 3D CAD package to do the drawing.

All the Pillars for Lime Street Station were made by a similar technique (stereo lithography), and I believe Les Green is using the 3D-Printing method for some details for the Hotel Roof.

Unit Models did the resin casting of the pillars for us.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Steve. I did chat to Ian at Langley who said he could make them up for me, although I would need to make a master in brass. He then talked about lathes, sweating on the details, etc., and my eyes glazed over and I went to my happy place, e.g. A bit out of my skill range and a lot of work/hassle/ cash for something that most people wouldn't notice. I like your suggestion though, and will look into that.

Hi Gordon,

It was a question of space, and I had the row of houses spare so wanted to use them (plus I wanted the mill and north light factory there). The houses were initially intended to go at the front of the layout but then I changed my mind as I wanted the row to climb the hill earlier, so built the replacements with the pub instead. The area you can see is actually the widest part at the back of the layout as the station sits diagonally across the board, which is why I could only put one carriage siding in without everything looking too cramped.

To be honest, you can't really see much in that area anyway as the station blocks the view a fair bit and in reality, the road past the station climbs the hill to the right rather than to the left (as I have done - another feature that is pretty hard to see). If I had made it climb to the right, the back scene of the houses and mill would have been difficult due to the eaves of the attic roof.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason,

I've just returned from a quick visit to the East Lancs Rly at Bury, which of course is what's left of the branch to Bacup.

On the way I spotted these chimney pots silhouetted against the sky in Haslingden, which is only five miles or so from Bacup.

post-3984-0-13687800-1358697666.jpg

They are on a terrace of houses probably built a little later than the ones you're modelling, but still quite representative.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason

I have not been as lucky as Steve to have a visit to the East Lancs railway but I have been for a walk around Regent St, Co-operation St, and Industrial St with my little yellow mate from Google Maps and we think that the model castellated chimney pots you have look very much like the ones remaining on the houses.

As do the ones in Cooper St, Hammerton St. area. Even the big posh houses over the other side Burnley Road have a similar type.

I am really enjoying the developments on your layout.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks folks, looks like I may have found a winner, although after cutting, filing and drilling the current ones, maybe winning is not the correct term :)

Been quite busy today but nothing really to show for it from a photographic perspective. The totems under the canopy were hung down on rods, to be approximately the same height as the ones on the lamps, so I have been cutting out totems and affixing micro strip to them. Yet to be painted though, so not attached to the canopy yet. I did put the newly-totemed lamps and running in board on the platform though, as well as fully wire up all turnouts for the fiddle yard, and then just for something different to do, grassed the banking at the top of the row of houses.

It won't be long before I am ready to think about signals, at which point I will be pestering a few of you for advice; I'll be referring to your signal construction posts for sure Steve.

Oh, and as I now have some five-sided broaches, I prepared my Comet chasss for my old Airfix 4F. Isn't modelling great :D

• RMweb Premium

Encouraged by your post on KL I've nipped 40 miles down the road to Bacup. My goodness, you have grass on the layout. Andy P will love that. Loads of progress since I last looked. no wonder you think you'll be done in 6 months.

Excellent, as usual!

Jeff

Morning Jason, yes Jeff is right about the grass, I think you have it spot on mate, nice colouring and not overdone along the wall. I also liked the grass embankment above the wall in a previous set of pics with the teraced houses staggered up the hill.

And yes you and your chimney pots did get a mention on my station building painting vid on Trebudoc, I will have to look at Cornish pots to see how they should be otherwise I will have people on my back saying they are wrong. Mind you its not so bad for me as it is only 4 pots on the station and 1 on the Signal Box.

As a tip, when I used Wills Cobbles on Glen Roy I did not paint them I just used a dirty wash of thinners, (as in Trebudoc's Station Building Video) grey and a drop of brown to wash over the Cobbles. As you go along you can dip the brush into paint, then into the thinners to change the colour and consistancy so it does not all look the same.

Hope this helps,

Old Lune.

ChimneyPots004.jpg

Dude, nice pot(s)....

Like the cobbles too but there were less punning opportunities.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

thanks for the tip. The only slight problem I have is that the Howard Scenics cobbles are card and the base layer is therefore acrylic. It has soaked in (which is what I wanted) and when i used Andy C's 'wipe the paint across the surface' method, it has worked really well but I reckon that thinners may just knacker it up. I'll experiment with an off-cut.

It's all been about pot(s) and grass this weekend. I wonder if various drug agencies are picking up on this thread through search engines and then getting mightily confused as a result :D

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 2

Jason, which grass applicator do you have, you said it was a budget one? I have a Finescale Models one with the 4 inch sive and that is fairly good.

Andy, Senior Old Lune, and a fully paid up Member of the Monster Raving Lunester Party.

• Like 1