Transpennine Upgrade : Manchester/Leeds

I hope so.

Kev.

What's actually happening at the overbridge at Ashton Station? I know the line's closed from Stalyvegas to Manchester; drove past yesterday and there's civils vehicles all round Turner Lane, in the station, and on the station car park. The bridges look patially demolished.

• RMweb Gold

What's actually happening at the overbridge at Ashton Station? I know the line's closed from Stalyvegas to Manchester; drove past yesterday and there's civils vehicles all round Turner Lane, in the station, and on the station car park. The bridges look patially demolished.

Last Sunday I was in Ashton and a low loader went past with a huge chunk of iron bridge that had been 'gas axed' off the railway.

I had assumed it was from the bridge over Turner lane as preparations had been going on for some time around it.

Before the possession, loads of sleepers had been placed alongside the tracks at Ashton station.

I'll try and get some pics but they'll be rubbish as they'll be taken from a lurching class142!

Kev.

A

Last Sunday I was in Ashton and a low loader went past with a huge chunk of iron bridge that had been 'gas axed' off the railway.

I had assumed it was from the bridge over Turner lane as preparations had been going on for some time around it.

Before the possession, loads of sleepers had been placed alongside the tracks at Ashton station.

I'll try and get some pics but they'll be rubbish as they'll be taken from a lurching class142!

Kev.

A blogger acquaintance of mine who lives in Dukinfield, reckons that there is a bit of track realignment going on, connected distantly with the electrification. Even after all these years, I still think it was a mistake to close the OAGB Jct.-Ashton Moss South Jct. curve.

I have an ex colleague who now drives for TPE, chatting the other day I mentioned the locohauled trains. No sign of any training yet and it's a 6 week programme, he's of the opinion that First could loose/hand in the keys. This could just be the excuse they want.

Edited by w124bob

DRS are currently preparing the first few 68s at Crewe Gresty Bridge. The first set of mk5s isn't even ready at the factory yet and has to go to Velim etc before training starts here so there isn't necessarily a problem at TPE.

I gave no doubt that First will be renegotiating their franchise payment profile as The contractual infrastructure improvements are either deferred or cancelled by HMG. So probably no 6th TPE per hour, IEP on diesel over the hills and north of Newcastle using more fuel, taking longer and needing more maintenance etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A

A blogger acquaintance of mine who lives in Dukinfield, reckons that there is a bit of track realignment going on, connected distantly with the electrification. Even after all these years, I still think it was a mistake to close the OAGB Jct.-Ashton Moss South Jct. curve.

On the other side of the country, Micklefield junction has recently been realigned as well, to allow higher speeds.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Loosely related to the Electrification of the line between Manchester and Leeds is the opening of the chord at Salford yesterday (Sunday the 10th of Dec 2017).

Saturday night I attended the works Xmas do and stayed in a hotel, in city centre Manchester, overnight.

The next morning I checked the timetable for trains back to Stalybridge and was intrigued to see a routing from Man-Victoria to Stalybridge via Oxford Rd.

Well, I thought, I'm up for that.

post-12815-0-09816300-1513023182.png

(Extract only)

Not something I'd seen on a destination board at Victoria before.

post-12815-0-19556400-1513023979_thumb.jpg

The trusty stead   hunk a junk   awful loathsome piece of..... appeared. This was a four car train with the trailing unit being a (not much better) class 150.

I choose to sit at the back in the 150 hoping that the window was clean.

post-12815-0-52829400-1513024016_thumb.jpg

There were quite a few "suits" present on the platform and the train came in well patronised.

Anyway, we were to use the new chord at Salford!

An absolute bonus for me as I had no idea Sunday was to be the first day of passenger use of this new route.

Already in the curve and just at the start of the rusty bridge.

post-12815-0-75972400-1513024043_thumb.jpg

...and the other side.

post-12815-0-47142300-1513024062_thumb.jpg

The whole time spent on the new railway was just a few 10s of seconds.

At Deansgate Station, a scheduled stop, we were delayed for 4 minutes while a Liverpool bound train cleared Platform 5 at Oxford Rd for us.

At Oxford Rd's platform 5 (the only bay platform there) we all alighted including toffs, photographers, TV crew, me and some others.

post-12815-0-18569800-1513024368_thumb.png

I don't know who the toffs were but they must have had a better ticket than me as the had the whole leading carriage reserved!

post-12815-0-45711600-1513023179_thumb.jpg

The connection (excuse the pun)? is that some of TPEs airport trains will use this route instead of running into Piccadilly and reversing there.

Kev.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well that is going to confuse me, the only trains to use Platform 5 (except during engineering possessions elsewhere) are the Manchester to Liverpool via Warrington Central stoppers.

Note to self: don't jump on any train anymore I don't want a ride to Stalyvegas

No you won't! - You'll end up somewhere on the Calder Valley line to Bradford / Leeds!

(I changed train to catch the usual Liverpool-Scarborough 12:07.)

In other news, the "masts are a marching" up Platting Bank and there now seems to be a permanently stabled 350-shunt (class 09!!! number 09 009) at the electrification siding, near Miles Platting station, at the site of the concrete works that used to receive the bogie ICI stone hoppers over many decades.

Kev,

No you won't! - You'll end up somewhere on the Calder Valley line to Bradford / Leeds!

(I changed train to catch the usual Liverpool-Scarborough 12:07.)

In other news, the "masts are a marching" up Platting Bank and there now seems to be a permanently stabled 350-shunt (class 09!!! number 09 009) at the electrification siding, near Miles Platting station, at the site of the concrete works that used to receive the bogie ICI stone hoppers over many decades.

Kev,

formerly known as collyhurst street sidings 

• RMweb Premium

Loosely related to the Electrification of the line between Manchester and Leeds is the opening of the chord at Salford yesterday (Sunday the 10th of Dec 2017).

Saturday night I attended the works Xmas do and stayed in a hotel, in city centre Manchester, overnight.

The next morning I checked the timetable for trains back to Stalybridge and was intrigued to see a routing from Man-Victoria to Stalybridge via Oxford Rd.

Well, I thought, I'm up for that.

attachicon.gifSunday101217a.png

(Extract only)

Not something I'd seen on a destination board at Victoria before.

attachicon.gif20171210_113549.jpg

The trusty stead   hunk a junk   awful loathsome piece of..... appeared. This was a four car train with the trailing unit being a (not much better) class 150.

I choose to sit at the back in the 150 hoping that the window was clean.

attachicon.gif20171210_113853.jpg

There were quite a few "suits" present on the platform and the train came in well patronised.

Anyway, we were to use the new chord at Salford!

An absolute bonus for me as I had no idea Sunday was to be the first day of passenger use of this new route.

Already in the curve and just at the start of the rusty bridge.

attachicon.gif20171210_114415(0).jpg

...and the other side.

attachicon.gif20171210_114420.jpg

The whole time spent on the new railway was just a few 10s of seconds.

At Deansgate Station, a scheduled stop, we were delayed for 4 minutes while a Liverpool bound train cleared Platform 5 at Oxford Rd for us.

At Oxford Rd's platform 5 (the only bay platform there) we all alighted including toffs, photographers, TV crew, me and some others.

attachicon.gif20171210_115457a.png

I don't know who the toffs were but they must have had a better ticket than me as the had the whole leading carriage reserved!

attachicon.gif20171210_115745.jpg

The connection (excuse the pun)? is that some of TPEs airport trains will use this route instead of running into Piccadilly and reversing there.

Kev.

You absolute star, what brilliant coverage of this unique event for Manchester (hope you did not have a hangover).

• 1 month later...

Had trip into Manchester from Newton for Hyde today, off to Central Library. Noticed a couple of civil engineering vehicles on the Mayfield Station site; a stone train propelling into the yard at Ashbury's; and what looks like vegetation clearance between Hyde Junction and Guide Bridge East, on the site of what were the Dewsnap yard reception roads; any ideas on the last?

• RMweb Premium

No idea about those works but there is mention in the latest Modern Railways to say that the grid connector just east of Stalybridge has been commissioned and will be able to supply power t the Manchester Victoria area as well as the future Trans Pennine electrification.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Had trip into Manchester from Newton for Hyde today, off to Central Library. Noticed a couple of civil engineering vehicles on the Mayfield Station site; a stone train propelling into the yard at Ashbury's; and what looks like vegetation clearance between Hyde Junction and Guide Bridge East, on the site of what were the Dewsnap yard reception roads; any ideas on the last?

No idea, but I wonder if they found that old semaphore signal that was still in there.

The stone train was possibly the one from Briggs Sidings to Ashburys I saw when i was driving through Buxton at lunch time. 

Just been announced again this week, transport funding for the NW, NE, Yorkshire and Humberside is 2.5 times LESS per person than that allocated to London and the SE.

That's PER PERSON too...........

Continues to disgust me. The Northern Power House is renamed the Northern Poorhouse.

Having driven from Manchester to Liverpool today I can state it is not only the railways that are underfunded, potholes everywhere including on the motorways.

Whilst the Government gladly spends money upgrading motorways to 'Smart' status aka covering the network with speed cameras it is letting the rest of the network crumble.

There needs to be a fundamental cross party debate on how a rich country like ours has insufficient funds to keep everything in good order health, social, transport and infrastructure - maybe more consumption based taxation.

Having driven from Manchester to Liverpool today I can state it is not only the railways that are underfunded, potholes everywhere including on the motorways.

Whilst the Government gladly spends money upgrading motorways to 'Smart' status aka covering the network with speed cameras it is letting the rest of the network crumble.

There needs to be a fundamental cross party debate on how a rich country like ours has insufficient funds to keep everything in good order health, social, transport and infrastructure - maybe more consumption based taxation.

Totally agree with you on this post and whilst we might well be a rich country there are too many greedy pigs in the trough which leaves nothing of the basic repairs. 

• RMweb Gold

M6 and M60 surface around Manchester is a joke for a motorway, but probably better than most main roads in the area. The Snake Pass road is heading south again on the east side descent, much more and it will end up like the Mam Tor road.. 

M6 and M60 surface around Manchester is a joke for a motorway, but probably better than most main roads in the area. The Snake Pass road is heading south again on the east side descent, much more and it will end up like the Mam Tor road.. 

living on the western side of the pennines i can state that this is pretty much standard on all the main  cross pennine roads 50mph limit  on pothole strewn patched up badly maintained flooded "highway"upto the yorks border then boom 100yds into yorkshire and its  NSL and a smooth well drained highway thats a pleasure to drive along