Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

When do you realise you may have bought your last RTR loco?

I have just taken delivery of my GWR 175 Class 57 along with DRS & EWS Class 37's from Model Rail Kernow

In the New Year will come the DRS Twin pack from Rail Eclusive

Unless Hornby bring out a Class 67 to Class 60 Standards I think I can 99.9% say that I'll be focusing on Wagons or Coaches.

There are a couple of renumber and rename projects I might look at but only as an aside

I can see 2012 being the year of seriouys layout building and Rolling stock procurement !

Well, Mike, I don't know about my last RTR loco - as long as they keep making good 'uns I'll be buying. You raise a good point I think in that some of us put far too much emphasis on locos and not enough on the trains. I believe it's pretty important when buying a loco to have a fair idea of what it's going to pull so that on the layout the whole thing makes a convincing train. So, yes, let's do some work on those wagons and coaches.

John

Surely you would never rule out buying a future R-T-R release, unless you knew that your kit/scratch building technique is going to produce better results than the manufacturer, for a lower cost? Or if you had the inside industry knowledge to know that nothing else you want will be produced.

You might say that you have finished buying stock for a particular layout though, particularly if it were a small BLT - there is only so much stock that you can hold without a proportion of it starting to collect dust. If you have too many locos for an isolated branch line, it would lose its isolated feel! But then this wouldn't just apply to R-T-R locos, as you'd have no space for a kit-built one either!

When SWMBO or the bank finally cuts up my credit card and I can no longer earn enough on the street.

Perhaps it is already too late for the latter and I should concentrate of card preservation.

In my case it is kits rather than RTR - but the pain is the same.

I think once they start shovelling dirt onto my coffin, or stuffing it in a furnace (not sure if i want to go up in smoke yet), then you can safely say I won't be buying anymore rolling stock.

I have heard that it doesn't make much difference as long as you are really dead at the time.

Likewise, I'm not sure I can ever imagine not finding something out there I'd want to buy- particularly as the last few years have seen manfacturers taking on releases I'd never have dreamt of seeing even a few years back...

• RMweb Gold

I think once they start shovelling dirt onto my coffin, or stuffing it in a furnace (not sure if i want to go up in smoke yet), then you can safely say I won't be buying anymore rolling stock.

That's if you have remembered to cancel your pre orders :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

I'm certainly not skilled enough to scratchbuild anything to the level that current RTR locos have reached. So if I'm going to increase my motive power then it's certainly going to be RTR. The problem is, I keep telling myself "enough is enough - you DON'T need to buy anymore". But hey, what's logic in this hobby...I always find an excuse to acquire more locos and run them.

Only 5 this year, but 3F, B1 and B17 for starters, along with Kernow's Dapol Warship next year. Nope, hell will have to freeze over before I stop!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Well, I know I have bought my last RTR loco in OO because I have switched to O!

Currently RTR in O gauge is generally a bit rough or a bit too expensive compared to the price of a kit, besides I get far more enjoyment/satisfaction from kit building than I ever got from buy RTR stuff. Renumbering and detailing was fun, I remember when the first decent Horny Black 5 appeared and spending many months applying the Brassmasters detailing set, and then repainting, renumbering and weathering it. It recently went for a stupid amount of money on ebay!

I've kept my favourite project, a nasty 2nd hand Lima 50 that has been thoroughly detailed and painted as D400, I reckon it rivals the one that Hornby do now, but I bought 5 of those over the years!

Aside from changing scale there is one other factor that changed my buying habits - marriage, its like being single but without any spending money!

• RMweb Premium

I think I have enough locos for my proposed layout ( 1980s NSE London terminus ) but I cannot resist buying locos out of that period if they are so good! I have a class 15 and 17 plus a few steam that I like ( B1, J39, Black 5 and 9F! ) so.... I might even pre-order a BP!

I see peoples point I think I was having one of my almost 40 funny turns I guess what I meant was I'm getting to saturation point loco wise and theres only maybe a Super detailed Class 67 that I would look at.

I have a couple of renumber/rename projects but other than that it's going to be wagons all the way in 2012!

Well interesting OP. I agree with the above statement. You can easily get on the RTR bandwagon with the latest "must have" product.

But it all depends on what you want from the hobby surely.

One of the happiest modellers I knew was a chap who built buildings out card and brick paper. They were incredible models but must have cost only pennies in materials

So perhaps the wider question is - does buying everything you want make you happy?

Soap box put away.

Jack

every year I say that there is nothing more I need.

Yet every year I keep buying more stuff. I cant believe that I keep buying Steam locos only 2 years after I sold them all to go modern image.

I even brought a 00 Steam loco and I havent done 00 for 3 1/2 years.

Alistair

my plan for the layout that I didn't build (and have since realised i wouldn't' have managed to build it but thats a different story) would have simply had Black 5's, Ivatt tanks and Fowler tanks with the odd 4F as motive power, as such there wouldn't have been that much to buy, just many repeat purchases and re-numbering.

Motive power for my current layout is pretty much the same,

quite annoying that you can't get Ivatt tanks in 00 and can't get fowler tanks in N (although I think I'll be modelling in N for some time.)

Well, I would never say never but currently there is nothing really on the current market which takes my fancy. I currently own far too many locomotives for a small diorama but all locomotives which I thought keep till the day when the wife allows me to create a nice size loft layout.

• RMweb Gold

When I built this

post-6717-0-42477000-1323160397_thumb.jpg

and this

post-6717-0-02196300-1323160444_thumb.jpg

and this

post-6717-0-82796000-1323160508_thumb.jpg

Way more fun than opening a red or blue box ;)

OK, I bought a Bachmann standard 4 2-6-0 this year, second hand to convert to a class 3 and if I can get my hands on a BR1B/C/D tendered standard 5 at the right price I'll have that to do a Caprotti conversion .....

When I built this

post-6717-0-42477000-1323160397_thumb.jpg

and this

post-6717-0-02196300-1323160444_thumb.jpg

and this

post-6717-0-82796000-1323160508_thumb.jpg

Way more fun than opening a red or blue box ;)

OK, I bought a Bachmann standard 4 2-6-0 this year, second hand to convert to a class 3 and if I can get my hands on a BR1B/C/D tendered standard 5 at the right price I'll have that to do a Caprotti conversion .....

Says it all, thanks for sharing these fantastic projects.

Jack

• RMweb Premium

I haven't bought a RTR loco for years. I wasn't even tempted by the NRM GCR liveried O4 as it is a bit big for my layouts and needs a number of alterations to make it correct for GCR period, plus conversion to EM.

I have a kit built Q4 that does my heavy freight just nicely and I firmly agree with those who say that building is much more fun than buying!

Having said that, I may be tempted if a nice RTR N5, J10, J11 or D9/10/11 appeared. I have them all covered but I wouldn't say no to another one (or two!).

Tony

Archived