What size stable ...?

What size stable does the coalman's horse need?

Maybe a strange question, but I'm trying to create a stable for the coalman's horse in the 1940s-1950s? Now I can go measure stables, but round here they're for multi-occupancy horses.

I can get the stable door dimensions from current catalogues, but don't want to give too little floor area.

In the scenario the horse will be in the stable because the wagon wheel has fallen off and the cart's under repair.

Modern loose boxes, usually of timber construction, would be 12' x 12' as a minimum (that's not to say that there are not some built a little smaller to fit a tight location). They are called loose boxes because the horses are free to move and lie down in them. Usually built in a row, or as a larger L or U shaped block, the stable doors open onto a yard. An American stable has 'stalls' of a similar size but housed under a large span roof, the stalls opening out onto an access area within the overall stable structure with a large single access door to the outside.

However, working horses in the past, were often kept in much smaller stalls. These would be a narrow construction, brick walled or iron framed, housed in a larger structure and the horse would be tethered all night. As a consequence of their evolution as prey animals, horses can sleep standing up and need just a few minutes a day to lie down for a deep sleep. So, as long as they can lie down briefly, they are fine.

Your coal man could have housed his horse in a surprisingly small space.

Goodness me Coombe Bartin, the same question has been rolling around inside my head for a moth (edit - month, but....) or two, and I'm just catching up with some questions and bang, you've got there before me.

I have a brick building on the layout that could be used as a Stable, but I wasn't sure about the size, Unfortunately 12' x 12' internal size seems to be a couple of feet more than the building I have. Looks like another building will have to be made now - that's if I want to be kind to animals. Mind you as the horse is white metal, it won't actually need to lie down, but I have to pretend.........

I feel another trawl through old photos of goods yards etc., coming on.

Then I suppose I shall have to have a Hay loft for the feed etc., and a water trough outside. Perhaps I will update the layout to motor vehicles.......

Agreed, as I said, 12' x 12' is what you'll find as a standard in most stable company's catalogues but they'll custom build to fit a tight location. We had some at a previous house 12' x 10'. 10' x 10' is perfectly adequate. 'Pet' horses today are usually 'spoiled' in comparison to work horses of years past.

• RMweb Gold

Stables are the size you build 'em. We inherited a 10 x 10-ish stable, but when we had a bit of money, we bought a pair of 12 x 12s. To the coalman, this horse is his prize asset - no horse means no delivery, no income, no dinner. Plenty of straw in olden times - wood-shavings more common these days, maybe - and a decent diet and Dobbin will thrive on hard work.

12'x12'...horse box

10'x10'...pony box

18'x12'...corner or foaling box.

My daughter does horses; I just pay the bills.

The area I'm modelling had over 100 working horses on the dock and railway in the 20s. My model is set in the 50s; I'm told I'll have to build stables as a retirement home...............

I would agree that 10 to 12 feet square sounds about right for a loose box style stable. All the recommendations I have found online seem to be around that range.

From http://www.newc.co.uk the UK guidance is that minimum space should be as follows:

"27 The British Horse Society recommend the following minimum stable sizes. They are adopted in the Welsh and Scottish equine Codes of

Practice:

Horses - 12' x 12' (3.65m x 3.65m)

Large Horses - 12' x 14' (3.65m x 4.25m)

Ponies and donkeys -10' x 10' (3.05m x 3.05m)

Large Ponies - 10' x 12' (3.05m x 3.65m)"

and from the same source

"288 The EU defined minimum space allowances for horses being transported by road or rail under EU Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005 are:

Adult horses 1.75m2 (0.7 x 2.5m)

Young horses (6-24 months) 1.2m2 (0.6 x 2m) (for journeys of up to 48 hours)

Young horses (6-24 months) 2.4m2 (1.2 x 2m) (for journeys over 48 hours)

Ponies (under 144 cm) 1 m2 (0.6 x 1.8m)

Foals (0-6 months) 1.4m2 (1 x 1.4m)"

David

Archived