Wickham Trolleys

There are quite a few photos around the net but not sure about S&D heritage.

The n-brass kit is a great kit to build. I have done both the Type 27 trailer and the trolley (so have others) and they have been shown on RMWeb. The Trailer is a real challenge to motorise (the trolley is not much easier)

I have another Trolley (4mm/OO9) to build soon (probably mid January if scheduled kits go to plan) and I will try to remember to make the effort to take photos and put up a topic on here.

BTW They are n/s etches not brass and you need that extra strength as some parts are very delicate.

Also, were they numbered ?, surely they must have been.

Yes they were and there are two refernece books that are well worth getting hold of:

Wickham of Ware a history of D Wickham & Co Ltd. by J Cooper (Rockingham Press) ISBN 1-873468-40-7

The Wickham Works List by K Gunner & M Kennard (Dennis Duck Publications) 2004 ISBN 0-9549199-2-0

The latter volume is exactly what it says on the tin and is an unindexed list of all products of Wickham (not only the Type 27 and their variants with delivery dates and locations.

I will have a quick scan through later but it is a very very long list and the font face is tiny.

DC Kits do a motorised and/or unmotorised kit of the Type 27 Gangers Trolley. Links below.

Not sure if the Type 27 ever saw service on the S&DJR. Others may know. The motorised version uses a Bull Ant motor with a 20:1 gearbox and 7mm N/S RP110 wheelsets at 15.5mm wheelbase.

Unmotorised

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dc_kits/kits/locomotives_coaches_departmental/wickham_s_type_27_motorised_ganger_trolley_kit_trailor_unmotorised_.php

Motorised

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dc_kits/kits/locomotives_coaches_departmental/wickham_s_type_27_motorised_ganger_trolley_kit_.php

Have quickly checked glanced through the Works List and there is no S&D delivery (though of course in BR times they could have been delivered BR(WR) or BR(SR) as a number were.

Putting a BullAnt on a lightweight resin body at 20:1 might be just about uncontrollable. The n/s version IMO is sharper in definition and a 2mm mechanism should suffice. The whitemetal one comes up on ebay now and then (I just missed out on a recent auction for one) I have seen one on a layout and it was quite good. The added weight of w/m helps with traction.

There were some details of motorising a 4mm version on my workbench thread on the old forum - but I just tried to access the old forum to post a link but it wouldn't come up.

I used a Nigel Lawton Lister kit, regauged to standard gauge.

DC Kits do a motorised and/or unmotorised kit of the Type 27 Gangers Trolley. Links below.

Not sure if the Type 27 ever saw service on the S&DJR. Others may know. The motorised version uses a Bull Ant motor with a 20:1 gearbox and 7mm N/S RP110 wheelsets at 15.5mm wheelbase.

Unmotorised

http://www.dckits-de...nmotorised_.php

Motorised

http://www.dckits-de...rolley_kit_.php

DC Kits have some Ready to Run ones painted & ready to go for £85.00. Contact charlie@dckits.co.uk of ordering info!

Just to let you have some idea of what ypu are letting yourself in for with the n-brass kit here is what the frets look like. It is important to remember that this is a small prototype to start with. Some of those parts are difficult to get off the fret let alone fold up or solder. Not a kit for beginners new to handling a soldering stick.

frets2.jpg

Well thanks everyone for all that. It looks as though I've got several options to think through, though it must be a motorised one. I Certainly agree that weight is a prime consideration, as it's not going to run well if it's not heavy enough. How heavy is a N gauge 0-6-0 RTR tank loco though ?.

I had in mind to put the new ZTC262 tiny decoder in it, that'll add some weight, I think not.

I have at last found the evidence of them on the S&D that I was looking for, in colour too :

1. The Somerset & Dorset Remembered Part 1 by Hugh Ballantyne. Page 78, a yellow one in the cattle dock siding at Shepton Mallett on 27.7.63 . I suppose that 'adds up', there was a PW Dept there, wasn't there ?

2. The Somerset & Dorset Remembered Part 2. Page 20, a maroon one (that's a surprise) in the 'back road' off the turntable at Evercreech Junction on 19.2.66 . It seems to have a BR 'lozenge' type logo on the front above the cab windows just below the roof line too.

Motorising it will be a tad difficult, if you look to the left of the penny in the photo the oblong bit with two "wings" attached is the engine covering, this is the only enclosed part of the vehicle! the rest is open space and any motor will be visible.

At least this is the type with the Ford side valve 10HP engine and therefore a bonnet, the earlier ones had a JAP V twin air cooled motor under the centre cross seat with nowhere for the modeller to hide the propulsion mechanism.

One particular modification you may consider modelling is, one trolley I knew had a front screen panel shaped like a Ford Anglia rear window, this was the result of a combination of a steep hill, a trailer (over)loaded with sand and the exhaust falling off and becoming tangled in the brake levers.

Wagon buffers are the same height as Wickham windows.

Referring back to the DC Kits Wickham Trolley - I built one a while back with the Bull Ant motor and it runs ok - does tend to stall over dead-frog points though but I guess we would all do that if our wheelbase was only 15.5 mm. Because of the motor assembly you have to build it as with the modelled canvas screens lowered down over the sides to hide the motor. But all-in-all I'm happy with it.

Motorising it will be a tad difficult, if you look to the left of the penny in the photo the oblong bit with two "wings" attached is the engine covering, this is the only enclosed part of the vehicle! the rest is open space and any motor will be visible.

Not so difficult as it first seems - or at least for OO9 (check out my thread on the RT Models Lister and you will get a clue) nothing required above the floorboards. But I also know it can be done in OO with the judicious positioning of a toolbox and seats.

The biggest problem in both cases is to get some added weight into it. At least the Lister was made of w/m. I certainly do not want the canvas sides as I think it detracts from the appeal of the Type 27.

The engines used were quite varied over the whole range of trolleys. Then of course there were the "Austin 7" variety. It is quite astounding when you read through the list, just how many went abroad. Certainly doing their bit for this country's balance of payments.

It is quite astounding when you read through the list, just how many went abroad. Certainly doing their bit for this country's balance of payments.

Yes, we used to use these (type 40 IIRC) for our signal techs in Zambia, maybe you can see them on the list.

post-3169-0-35799400-1323088625_thumb.jpg

Then later, needing something cheaper we got these French ones with Renault engines, good fun at around 50kph.

post-3169-0-08276000-1323088762.jpg

Regards

Keith

Yes, we used to use these (type 40 IIRC) for our signal techs in Zambia, maybe you can see them on the list.

Well over 20 assorted Wickhams (mostly 17T(trailers) and 18) went to Zambia via the Crown Agents for the Colonies in 1968/9 and another batch in 6/1970 again 18A and 17T. Four 27D (one closed) went direst to Zambia Railways in 8/82

I couldn't spot any others going to Zambia but could have easily missed them as the list, as said above, is not really searchable (some day some (lunatic person might make it available on the net. Though I expect there would be someone screaming of copyright issues. :(

The Type 40's were built intermittently from 1938-78 in at least 2 versions.

...I have at last found the evidence of them on the S&D that I was looking for, in colour too...

Just noticed a red one sitting in the middle line at Evercreech Junction on 15/5/1967 in the frontispiece of Jeffery Grayer's Sabotaged and Defeated Revisited.

Nick

Archived