Loftfordshire

Michaelaface

Aaah, I see, that explains it. Yeah it's not a bad effort, but a little heavy too in my opinion. But then I have the view that weathering should be somewhat subtle when applied. Others do love to go for a hugely mucky effect. (my friend Russ did this old Lima model out so it was basically a pile of rust on wheels!)

I have a preference for the Tamiya weathering kits, as said. This is my Jinty.

PC130120.jpg

Full view picture, unfortunately it's very bright here today,

PC130122.jpg

First thing I did was effectively wash the whole model in a layer of "soot" from the kit. It dulls the whole model nicely and really shows up on the decals and the numbering, as you can see here.

PC130121.jpg

The running gear then gets a heavier wash in the rust colour that is available in the kit itself. It picks out details and actually works pretty well here. :)

One other thing I did, but cannot get a decent picture of, is the water tank covers and the side. I ran a little bit of water-based paint down the side (Citadel Paints, love the stuff) and then sponged the majority off, it leaves a very subtle white water mark. :D

hmm, well I'll try and find some suitable powders and give that a go then!

Nothing new to update on my layout just yet, aside from I finally have a job, it's only a christmas temp job, but I'm being considered to be kept on, either way this means I'll have some money to spend on the layout very soon, which means I'll be able to do a lot more soon too! =D

id say with your older/worn stock to keep it - i sold all mine last year that ive been collecting since 1995 when i was about 8 and now im trying to buy it back :P im finding excuses to use it! also a rake of maroon coaches dont half look good behind a black 9F :) - cracking layout so far by the way

• 5 weeks later...

Its been a while since I last updated properly

so what's new then

1) I have a job, this means that modelling time will now increase dramatically (got paid on Friday, bought stuff today, done quite a lot of work!)

2) Christmas happened, so new toys (Bachmann B1, Bachmann TPO coach, some Bachmann mark 1's, and some wagons)

3) Wages happened so more new toys icon_biggrin.gif (Bachmann Jinty, some more Bachmann mark 1's, and some more wagons! and paints and ballast)

4) Started weathering and ballasting the track, and also fixing it to the board, so no more screws!

here's an assortment of pictures, any questions ask away

IMAG0482.jpg

IMAG0483.jpg

IMAG0484.jpg

IMAG0521.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

May I say that for a youngster in their 20's (like me, though I am only three years off 30 :O ) I am suitably impressed with your work! The ballasting is indeed very neat and the trackwork looks very good. I take it from your video that you are running DCC and are using the Hornby system? I myself use the Bachmann Dynamis system for my layout, which is currently in storage but within the next couple of months will be set up in the railway room (garage) and I find it suitable for my needs as my layout is a LNER branchline terminus so I don't need to control several locos at once. How do you find the Hornby system?

I must state again that your modelling really does imoress me so kwwp up the good work madam! :)

• RMweb Premium

hmm, well I'll try and find some suitable powders and give that a go then!

Hi only just arrived here as been trawling the other forums for goodies!!

Very nice too... :yes:

Did you find any powders that you liked? I can reiterate Heruss's recommendation for the Tamiya ones, but I did find a set of weathering powders on Ebay, un-named and very cheap :imsohappy: that are good for practising...may be worth a look...

For some reason not all your posted images are showing in my browser but the ones I can see look very good; keep it up!!

That is some very nice and neat ballasting.

That ballasting looks great! Which track is that?

Thanks, I think the ballast size might be a bit too small, I've got a few other sizes I'm going to try out

the track is C&L flex track

I take it from your video that you are running DCC and are using the Hornby system? I myself use the Bachmann Dynamis system for my layout, which is currently in storage but within the next couple of months will be set up in the railway room (garage) and I find it suitable for my needs as my layout is a LNER branchline terminus so I don't need to control several locos at once. How do you find the Hornby system?

Yeah I have the Hornby, er whatever the cheapest one is, simply because it was the cheapest, might upgrade now I have more money

its basic and simple, I guess it does exactly all it set out to do, would like the ability to have more controls so I could change the speed of 2+ locos at the same time instead of constantly having to switch, also a wireless controller would be preferred too (I believe Bachmann do stuff that fulfils all that)

Hi only just arrived here as been trawling the other forums for goodies!!

Very nice too... :yes:

Did you find any powders that you liked? I can reiterate Heruss's recommendation for the Tamiya ones, but I did find a set of weathering powders on Ebay, un-named and very cheap :imsohappy: that are good for practising...may be worth a look...

For some reason not all your posted images are showing in my browser but the ones I can see look very good; keep it up!!

To be honest I've not actually looked, been focusing more on finishing my layout first, plus I'm far too scared of weather any of my new/newer stock in case I mess everything up

Loving all your progress, Track plan is good, did you say weather it was code 75 Peco or made by you guys...

guys? :S it's just me building this haha

the track is mainly C&L finescale flex track

the points and some of the sidings are peco code 75

and the fiddle yard is Hornby set track

• RMweb Premium

guys? :S it's just me building this haha

Far too early in the morning for some people :P ...

Regards the powders; it's worth having a try as you can just brush it all off afterwards if it's not what you want, there's no need to fix with clear varnish unless you want to keep it, and anyway you can start with something old and decrepit - is a good exercise to fill time waiting for glues and paints to dry on the main layout...go on, have a go!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hmm no idea what happened there? worked for me

well I made some progress a day later and never got round to posting, once again I have done more than this but nothing to document as of yet

but here we have some weathering attempts of some stock and some track weathering

IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

IMAG0525.jpg

and one of many projects I hope to complete at sometime before the word ends

IMAG0582.jpg

HI

Nice layout but please remove the screws, they detract from the great work you are doing..

If you use them to hold the track in place, then try drill a hole on each side of the sleepers and using a track pin..

Stuart-AU

HI

Nice layout but please remove the screws, they detract from the great work you are doing..

If you use them to hold the track in place, then try drill a hole on each side of the sleepers and using a track pin..

Stuart-AU

sigh, I've said this many times now, they are only temporary, in the sections of track that have been fixed down and ballasted they have been removed

• 2 months later...

Advice needed!

so today is my birthday and my girlfriend surprised me by buying me a Bachmann 3F (tender) I also have the day off work, so I though well this is the perfect time to give it a run!

now its been a while since I've been in the loft during the day, especially when its sunny, and I'd forgotten how hot it gets (you can probably tell where this is leading)

but basically the problem I had feared the most has happened, although only minor (atm anyway) my track is showing signs of warping, the other issue is that on days like today the heat of my loft is unbearable, I was in there for less than ten mins and I'm soaked with sweat

the only solutions I can think for this problem would be;

1) rebuild the layout in modular form (costly)

2) rebuild the layout in another location (practically impossible)

3) hope it doesn't be come a serious issue and carry on

atm 1 is looking like the best option as it means I'd be able to work on sections of the layout with out having to actually be in the loft, but is it all worth it?

are there any other options that I've missed?

• RMweb Premium

Other than the heat which is going to be unavoidable unless you can get some insulation and a skylight fitted, you could possibly add expansion gaps to sections of track, preferably on straight sections. You may need to add some additional droppers in but it should alleviate the issue a bit. It was an issue on my last layout to an extent, although I am lucky in that my loft is insulated and has two Velux windows which are open when it gets hot (the room doubles up as my office - I work from home)

Archived