is this airbrush compressor good for first time?

hello im looking for an air brush compressor.

this will by my first and i dont need anything too fancy. just somthing that does the job :)

im looking around and wanting to pay around £50 for one..

is this one any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160692403788&category=28111&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_951wt_1270

copied from the sale :

HIGH PERFORMANCE PROFESSIONAL SILENT AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR TC-20B

High Quality Multi-Use Compressor that Delivers Very High Air Flow and Maintains a Constant Working Air Pressure!

Features:

The TC-20B air compressor is an Oil-less Maintenance-Free 1/8HP Auto-Stop (Preset at 60 PSI), Thermal Protected unit with much higher quality standards built in than most other airbrush compressors on the market today. The TC-20B is designed to work only when you do. With this unique automatic on/off shutoff switch, it only operates when you are airbrushing. This "Air-On-Demand" feature allows the compressor to operate much cooler and avoid overheating problems that frequently plague other compressor models. The TC-20B delivers more air volume (CFM) and pressure (PSI) than any airbrush demands and is much quieter than its competitors. The unit has a water trap to ensure clean, dry air, and the true diaphragm regulator & Gauge which allows you to accurately control the air pressure to the airbrush from 0 to 60 PSI. The TC-20B compressor comes with a full air warranty and your assurance of the quality that you have come to expect with all of our fine airbrushing products.

Specifications:

• Type: Single Cylinder Piston Compressor
  • Power: 1/5 HP
  • Maximum pressure: 7bar(100PSI)
  • Air output per min./litres: 23L/min
  • Auto stop, start at 30 psi, stop at 60 psi (special pressure available)
  • Fitting: manometer; pressure regulator; air filter
  • Connections: with connection 1/8'' BSP

Together with an airbrush or spray gun it can be used for:

Common Applications:

• Illustration
  • Fine/Commercial Art
  • Photo Retouching
  • Custom Automotive
  • Motorcycle Graphics
  • T-Shirts/Textiles
  • Nails & Cosmetics
  • Miniatures
  • Taxidermy/Lures
  • Models/RC's/Trains
  • Hobbies and Crafts
  • Students

thanks dan

We've had a number of compressor threads here in the past month - scanning them may be helpful rather then making a decision based ona single eBay site

And if you're starting out in airbrushing (like I am) you may find George Dent's book a good one to have around (before you spend any money on kit)

Dent, G, (2011) Airbrushing for Railway Modellers. Marlborough: Crowood Press. ISBN 978-1-84797-265-1 £18.99

It looks ok, and it does have the water trap (essential). However, it isn't something I'd buy since I'm not a fan of single-piston tankless compressors, partly because they run all the time I'm airbrushing, but primarily because they don't have a way of smoothing the pulses out of the airflow. I use small air-tool compressor with a 3-gal tank for my airbrushing (but I do it in the garage where the noise of it refilling the tank is less of an issue).

Adrian

Dan

I have not bothered to look up the links given to you, but as I have replied to atleast 3 threads at least one of my replies should be there. I have one of these but it came with 2 airbrushes. Not used mine for ages as been busy with other things, but got it out last night and had no trouble painting a loco. I am very pleased with mine

It looks ok, and it does have the water trap (essential). However, it isn't something I'd buy since I'm not a fan of single-piston tankless compressors, partly because they run all the time I'm airbrushing, but primarily because they don't have a way of smoothing the pulses out of the airflow. I use small air-tool compressor with a 3-gal tank for my airbrushing (but I do it in the garage where the noise of it refilling the tank is less of an issue).

Adrian

Most of these small compressors only cut in when you use the brush. Mine certainly does. The water trap and air hose act as a very small reservoir and smooth out the pulses quite well. above all though it pays to actually run them in for about half an hour as they do hunt quite badly when new.

if you spray in an environment that suffers change in temperature then condensation will be the biggest problem. Usefully, most of the small compressors now available are mainly plastic which really helps and the tank actually surrounds the compressor.

Best results are from brush quality, technique, paint quality and mixing with appropriate thinners rather than compressor choice.

Hi i brought one of these 2 years ago and ive got no complaints i use an iawata airbrush and spray loco's,rollingstock,track,1:24 scale model cars with excellent results hobbycraft do one similar for £179 i paid £69 for mine so yours will be a bargin.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting thread because I am looking to get get back into airbrsuhing. About 25 years ago I had a cheap as chips Badger airbrush and a compressor out of an old fridge that my old Dad (now sadly gone) put together for me. It worked a treat and had great results. I was expecting others to have suggested the homemade recovered compressor route and I'm suprised to see no one mention it.

Archived