HULL & BARNSLEY Rly Signalbox.

The windows were bricked up for blast damage, also the "Locking Room" became the signalman's air raid shelter. Mick.

Two options, print them on the computer, or use Slater's plastic letters, that if still available. The former looks "Flat" and the later is far too thick, but I can probably "Thin" them. Mick.

• RMweb Premium

I used Slaters letters for the Teesdale signal box and also on another box for the club layout. I don't think that I bothered to thin them.

I woll get around to posting photos on my Teesdale thread but I have not got a photo of it yet.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

Hi Mick,

definatley better the latter nameboard, it really looks the part Mick.

Very nice photo there and unusual pose.

cheers

Peter

The model is stood on top of an empty Hienz soup tin, at the time of my photo, I'd not supped a glass or two, so I could't use the usual beer can.

Certainly, the smaller lettering and name board is a vast improvement. Mick.

Cracking job, my old mate. As 7mm Mick observed, above, now you'll have to build the rest of the layout to go around the signal box. As to the signals for your layout, there's a very good book by some character called Mick Nicholson, all about building 4mm (and 7mm) signals. :sungum:

Cheers

Mike

As the prototype photo shows, my lettering and original name board was far two big, another go tonight, and I think a good improvement. Best Wishes, Mick.

At the risk of being a real pedant, you could probably take the letter size down a little further Mick; just comparing the start and end points of Sculcoates Junction with Sallyfield Junction. Certainly the lettering on the most recent nameboard has come out very well for colour.

Cheers

Mike

Lovely work mate, the second name board does look better, All you need now is a layout to put it on......

ATB Mick

The baseboards are in place and likewise two 12 x 16 ovals of plain line. I will not quote the obvious, and I do have all the signals. Stock will not be a problem, I have shelfs full of it. You will recall some years ago my workshop was stacked high with unopened boxes, and then of course there was the "Secret Stach". Best Wishes, Mick.

At the risk of being a real pedant, you could probably take the letter size down a little further Mick; just comparing the start and end points of Sculcoates Junction with Sallyfield Junction. Certainly the lettering on the most recent nameboard has come out very well for colour.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for your kind comments and observations. Yes you are right, the nameboard still needs to be "Shot Down" more. Thanks for telling me, it is so easy to "Become Blind" to the wrongs of one's own work. Best Wishes, Mick.

Cheers

Mike

Had another go at the name board and reduced it a little more. I now think a better a job. Mike thanks for your observations, unlike "The Old Days" there are now very few of the realthing to look at. Best Wishes, Mick.

post-702-0-62320000-1328990379_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Third time lucky! The lettering is looking good now. I have done pretty much the same for the nameboards for a certain signal box at Babworth. Just looking at the real box, although the letters look ever so flat, the border looks to stand much more proud. What do you think of the idea of a sliver of thin plasticard around the edge? Again, looking at the real one, is the nameboard border actually black? It probably should be and it might just be the light reflecting oddly but the border of the nameboard looks nearer the signal box corner post colour than the lettering colour. Summat to think about!

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by t-b-g

Mick,

I have a horrible feeling you've told me this before.

Gently reclines into the chair by the fire and asks the nurse to tuck his blanket in...

Ian

Our youngest daughter works in a care home. It is down Albert Avenue, I'm sure you know the area from the day's of your misguided youth and the time spent in Hull. I will ask her to keep an eye on you, I may as well keep it in the family.

By the way, do you recall the hit single from the '80's "Ride Sally Ride"? Best Wishes, Mick.

Good stuff, Mick. You swept past me at Donny this weekend and I never caught up with you to say hello. There was a chap on the LNER forum asking about your R1 - I've told him to get in touch.

Sorry I missed you at Doncaster, it would have been nice to catch up. Thanks, for kind words re signalbox, a bit to go yet, I should keep away from "Those Wild Women", and spend more time at my workbench. Best Wishes, Mick.

post-702-0-83099000-1329253806_thumb.jpg

Added a little more detail and touched up the paint. The sheet of corrugated iron on the landing needs some work, looked OK to the eye but terrible in picture. Weathering down the ridge tiles and the roof boards is an improvement. Now time for a few pints and those "Wild Women". Mick.

• Like 6