Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

HULL & BARNSLEY Rly Signalbox.

I have watched your progress with interest,mainly as I am picking ideas .However I read with interest that you like me resort to computer printing.I have found out the hard way, always give anything you print a coat of matt varnish one quick brush over and leave to dry.otherwise the slightest moisture and everything runs green.Its amazing where the moisture comes from a drop of sweat in summer moist hands etc.

Peter, thanks for your kind comments, yes, natural light is a big improvement.

Very little to do now, add the finials and the final weathering. To save time, I have sourced some cast finials, I have put the box to oneside until they arrive.

At the moment back to signals, two LMS "tubes" and a Higland Rly lattice Lower Quadrant.

Pleased to hear you have made a full recovery and now back at work. Yours, Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick,

I have to say I do like the modelling stand, was that built from scratch,its very much like a beer can :-)

The rear view of the box is very nice at least we can take photos of the rear of buildings as nobody else did in real life and why would they but for us who want to model all sides of a building we need such information.

looking forward to more pics Mick and I particularly like the natural look of colour.

cheers

Peter

Hi Mick,

I have to say I do like the modelling stand, was that built from scratch,its very much like a beer can :-)

The rear view of the box is very nice at least we can take photos of the rear of buildings as nobody else did in real life and why would they but for us who want to model all sides of a building we need such information.

looking forward to more pics Mick and I particularly like the natural look of colour.

cheers

Peter

PDear Peter, thanks for your reply. I'm thinking off marketing my special design of model stand, I do have a ready supply of the "Blanks". Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mick,

Good to see the finished box, (apart from final weathering), at last. It certainly captures how boxes were looking in the era you're modelling. I look forward to seeing pictures of the box in situ on the layout sometime.

With refernece to an earlier comment someone made, about not modelling what can't be seen. My own view, is that is that if you have the information, then model all that you can. I think that the satisfaction that gives is well worth the extra effort.

Look forward to seeing you at York on Sunday Mick.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Hi Mick,

Dave, thanks for your constructive comments. As for unseen detail, a loco or a piece of rolling stock add the detail, it will be seen from all angles and in use will eventualy be turned.

The signal box will be in such a posisition on the layout that only the front can be seen. In the event of it being reused or a change of plan the missing details can easily be added.

Point of interest, are we the only two on here actualy modelling the H&B?

See you Sunday. Best Wishes, Mick.

Good to see the finished box, (apart from final weathering), at last. It certainly captures how boxes were looking in the era you're modelling. I look forward to seeing pictures of the box in situ on the layout sometime.

With refernece to an earlier comment someone made, about not modelling what can't be seen. My own view, is that is that if you have the information, then model all that you can. I think that the satisfaction that gives is well worth the extra effort.

Look forward to seeing you at York on Sunday Mick.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Hi Mick,

To take up your point about you and I being the only ones on here modelling the Hull & Barnsley Railway, I suspect that it's largely due to the lack of readily available locomotives and rolling stock, if you want to model the H & B period up to it's absorption by the NER in 1922. However if you want to model ex H & B lines up until their closure in the late 50's / early 60's, then there's no excuse, as witnessed by you modelling the early 60's period, when WD 2-8-0's were the mainstay of the loco fleet. As both you and I know it was a wonderfully atmoshpheric railway. I think another reason for it not being modelled, is down to the fact that it hasn't been written about or even photographed to the extent that other railways have.

As I found out to my advantage when I first posted an appeal on Templot for information on H & B track work, you very kindly replied to my query, and were and have continued to be very helpful in all matters H & B. So my advice for anyone out there who want's to model something a bit different, because it certainly was that, then I could do no better than recommend that you get in touch with Mick Nicholson, via this site. He really is a mine of information and the probability is that if Mick doesn't know, then he probably knows a man who does!

To get back to the question of locomotives, I know for a fact that Paul Gram of Zenith works is going to release a range of Hull & Barnsley etched locomotive kits through Laurie Griffin in 7mm scale and through Roxey Mouldings in 4mm scale.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Mick,now that you have just about finished Spring Bank West signal box, you can start modelling the end of Eastella Drive with a young lad with blond hair and an Eastfield Road Juniors tie sneaking under the lineside fence to get a better look at those new-fangled green diesels which were just starting to appear and which made funny honking noises.

The memories flood back!

Ian (just old enough to remember the G5s on push-pulls going past the end of his garden!)

Mick,now that you have just about finished Spring Bank West signal box, you can start modelling the end of Eastella Drive with a young lad with blond hair and an Eastfield Road Juniors tie sneaking under the lineside fence to get a better look at those new-fangled green diesels which were just starting to appear and which made funny honking noises.

The memories flood back!

Ian (just old enough to remember the G5s on push-pulls going past the end of his garden!)

Ian, I well remember the S Howden service, and way back c1953 my late father lifting me up to the block bell in Springbank North cabin to put "Push an Pull" On Line to Walton Street. Who would have known then that forty years on I would be signalling trains legally over the same junction.

Attached picture is not at "Your Street End", but best I could lay my hands on, in anycase only about two miles west of your old place. Best Wishes, Mick.

post-702-0-42905200-1334133202_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Ian, I well remember the S Howden service, and way back c1953 my late father lifting me up to the block bell in Springbank North cabin to put "Push an Pull" On Line to Walton Street. Who would have known then that forty years on I would be signalling trains legally over the same junction.

Attached picture is not at "Your Street End", but best I could lay my hands on, in anycase only about two miles east of your old place. Best Wishes, Mick.

Sorry to be pedantic (it's a gift, they say :beee: ) but surely it should be two miles WEST of Eastella drive?

Being shown round my father's insurance office did not have quite the same excitement for a 5 year old as signaling a push and pull!

Thanks for the memory.

Ian

Paul, that's how I got it wrong, I got the singular and pural arse about face. Whatever, the are both "Wild" and like a good drink. I will have to keep away from them, I have a layout to build, and at 63 turned, time is not on my side. Mick.

Paul, that's how I got it wrong, I got the singular and pural arse about face. Whatever, the are both "Wild" and like a good drink. I will have to keep away from them, I have a layout to build, and at 63 turned, time is not on my side. Mick.

Just one wild woman would do me!

Ian