Lincoln Central Station

arff999

• 2 weeks later...

Cant wait to see the hole thing working and have the trains running on it only ever seen old vids and pics of Lincoln station as it used to be so well looking forward to it hope to see you there.

From Adam

• 1 month later...

John,

I trust your nearly ready for the Lincoln Show on Saturday the 1st June & Sunday 2nd June at Washington. That's near Lincoln not DC by the way folks.

Bad news for you John after that last remark is that I will come and say hello on the Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing Lincoln Central and Gowt's Bridge (an old friend) again.

Looks a cracking smaller & more friendly show than many of the large ones.

Regards,Derek (Del).

Washingborough I think?

John,

I trust your nearly ready for the Lincoln Show on Saturday the 1st June & Sunday 2nd June at Washington. That's near Lincoln not DC by the way folks.

Bad news for you John after that last remark is that I will come and say hello on the Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing Lincoln Central and Gowt's Bridge (an old friend) again.

Looks a cracking smaller & more friendly show than many of the large ones.

Regards,Derek (Del).

I think it's Washingborough, we've got one of those and a Waddington, but no Washington ;)

• RMweb Premium

Its been many a long year since I last arrived at Lincoln Central for what was an annnual holiday with relatives who lived (at various times) in a couple of the villages on the outskirts of the city.

Although the current Station layout is somewhat different from those days, your layout is recognisable to me. Don't know if I'll ever get to see it 'in the flesh', depending on how far North you ever exhibit, but congratulations on what looks to be a marvellous layout.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

John

Cleefy wrote:-

I think it's Washingborough, we've got one of those and a Waddington, but no Washington ;).

Thank you,  your quite correct of course.

I think that's what comes of rushing.  Just wanted to give the show a Plug.

Regards, Del.

Hi Del

Had to look back through the thread to see were Washington came from

reading your latter post I can now see :mail:

Hopefully should be a great show had a good time last year I like the museum location pity its not there this year  

(due to works taking place) but we will have to see how this location works out

Been busy getting things ready and checked a few little bits to sort out on Fri when we put it up nothing major though.

looks like we will had the island platform building in its half finished state sat roughly were it will be and also hoping Howards going to hang about a while in case any one wants to chat about building the structures

JOHN

Hi John

Its been many a long year since I last arrived at Lincoln Central for what was an annnual holiday with relatives who lived (at various times) in a couple of the villages on the outskirts of the city.

Although the current Station layout is somewhat different from those days, your layout is recognisable to me. Don't know if I'll ever get to see it 'in the flesh', depending on how far North you ever exhibit, but congratulations on what looks to be a marvellous layout.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

John

You never know as were open to invites as time goes on more will be done towards finishing it but then again I guess something like this is never finished

JOHN

Thats a great view down the station throat.

Terry

Thanks Terry glad you like it hoe to have more pictures from the show

JOHN

• Like 1

John asked me to do a layout overview write-up. See what you all think;

“Now that would make a great model”.

Now how many times has someone either said or heard that statement? Those famous last words have caused no end of modellers to have sleepless nights, accelerated hair loss, irrational behaviour and the emptying of bank accounts. And why do we do it? Because we feel the pull and the compulsion of the modelling force, the force that takes over our thoughts and actions. And so it was that 3 years ago that a certain John Whiteside made the mistake of uttering those words, the words that finds you here today in front of this model of Lincoln Central. What seemed like a good idea at the time still seems like a good idea, but only if you look at it from 20ft away through squinted eyes! This started out as a 5yr plan and has seen many trials and tribulations, but we find ourselves 12 months ahead of schedule. John is a local boy and strangely enough has a history of fire engine fascination. So how did he end up into model railways, especially one of Lincoln Central?

“Now that would make a great model” he mistakenly said.

What you can see is the track plan from 1956 with the old Great Northern hotel being modelled at the High Street end and the construction of Pelham Bridge at the err…..Pelham Bridge end. We’re also going to model the Durham Ox crossing that was in place before the bridge was finished. Thoughts have been regularly turned toward the possibilities of modelling the lines from Lincoln St. Marks but that is something for the future. The original plans for the layout were to operate from steam in ’56 through the end of steam/dieselization in the ‘60’s through to the glorious era of that ultimate corporate livery of blue in the 70’s and beyond! Because of the amount of stock that would be needed the decision was taken to start operations from the late 60’s or the end of steam saving John a fortune in stock purchases.

Construction of the layout was pretty straightforward like most layouts with the only major difficulty being the fitting of set-track pieces to an authentic track plan. As with building any model layout some ideas worked brilliantly and some not so well. Compromises had to be often made and complete re-workings of ideas undertaken to allow us to reach the stage that you can see now. Despite its size and apparent complexity the layout can be assembled and operational by the two of us in less than two and a half hours. When it comes to packing up it can take less than 90 mins. Operationally it is possible for just the two of us to operate it and in certain circumstances one man and his dog. Johns other passion is electronics, especially of the modelling kind. Longer term the layout will be touch screen computer operated with full route setting and limited train automation in place. Working signals, DCC operation, moving people and the like add to the atmosphere and operation.

Not everything was done by just us two and a lot of other people were involved in the process without which we wouldn’t be where we are now. The layout has been exhibited a few times already and was always designed to be displayed as a work in progress until final completion. We don’t proclaim to be experts but we are enthusiasts. We’re happy to chat about all things railways, fire engines, airplanes and just about anything else. Please feel free to approach us and say hello, we don’t bite. Honest. We’re happy to talk and if you have any observations or criticisms then please tell us. All we ask is that you make them constructive because that way you’re being more helpful. Lastly we ask that you respect the layout by not touching anything or allowing any children to touch it. To some it may seem like a toy but to us it’s a labour of love, one that’s taken a lot of time and effort to achieve.

John still says “Now that would make a great model?” to which I say “Yeah! But I still think we should have done it in 7mm!”

All the best,

John Whiteside and Mark Paynter

• Like 3

jrg1-Hi a very entertaining thread.  I read that you are going to build the Durham Ox.  I have various photos of the roadside, if you are interested, but nothing of the rear (Black) walls.  Were they plain, or did they have windows?  I would appreciate any help here, as I am preparing a Sketchup drawing of the building