Help with bridge design.

Hi all. I am currently in the early stages of my layout construction. I have just finished a corner baseboard section, and have made it of 'open frame' construction.

I am a bit stuck as to how to go about the next bit. My idea, is that the ends of the platforms rest on a retaining wall, and then the retaining wall somehow leads onto a girder bridge, spanning the four running lines.

I am not very good at visualising things, and wondered if anyone else has maybes modelled, or seen a similar sort of prototype situation.

I have a mountain of books and magazines to look through, but so far have not come across anything thats inspired me.

Any help or links to photographs would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lee

post-7202-0-91797900-1323591793.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Trowbridge station has something close to what you are describing. It is only 2 tracks though and the retaining wall is only on one of the platforms. In this case the platform continues beyond the bridge but is not used and is not accessible. In the centre of the bridge is a supporting pillar. Unfortunately this appears to be a very un photogenic bridge. Having done a quick search I have only found a couple of images showing the bridge and these only show parts not the full thing.

Lee, terminating your platforms with large square section abutments (the near side one standing on the triangular piece of ply in the middle of the picture, matching item the other side) standing at least the height of the depth of the girder if this is to be a plain beam bridge, would be one way. If you go for the simple beam, depth of the structural girder wants to be about a seventh of the length of the span.

• RMweb Gold

If i understand what you want correctly, then Taunton may fit the bill. The station is elevated and the platforms run out over a girder bridge over the road. It is all quite interesting - there are walls along the back of the platform with windows which look down onto the road. The whole bridge has recently been refurbished and i snow quite smart. look on google earth and tell me if this is what you are thinking of - if so, then i have loads of pics.

If i understand what you want correctly, then Taunton may fit the bill. The station is elevated and the platforms run out over a girder bridge over the road. It is all quite interesting - there are walls along the back of the platform with windows which look down onto the road. The whole bridge has recently been refurbished and i snow quite smart. look on google earth and tell me if this is what you are thinking of - if so, then i have loads of pics.

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have just looked at a couple of photos of Taunton, the bridge end looks like it might be nigh on perfect, the girder bridge, and raised abutements are just what I am looking for. Any photographs of this would prove immensley useful.

Kind regards,

Lee.

This is another of those topics where company and geographical area makes some difference to how the bridge will look. For example the Midland had a very distinctive design of girder bridge. If you can tell us this then somebody may suggest a location with the appropriate architectural style.

If you find a bridge that you like the look of that doesn't have the span you require then all you need to do is adjust the span and then adjust the depth of the beam/ girder by the same amount. This isn't entirely structurally correct but span / depth ratios are used by civil engineers as a quick approximation when doing an initial appraisal of a proposed bridge and they are accurate enough to provide something that looks the part. The other thing I have always found with bridges is that getting the rivet detail correct adds a lot to appearance. The downside of this is that there are lots of rivets on bridges (far more than on locos). I hope this helps.

Another place to look is both Snow Hill Station and Wolverhampton.

The latter only just overlaps the road (last few feet of platform 4) while the Snow Hill platforms actually cross two roads while the original station reached St Paul's tram stop and thus crossed four roads.

Moor Street also crosses roads (and also the approach roads for New Street), with 3 bridges underneath

Archived