Jons Workbench

Its nice to see how far the tooling has come with Heljans' 33, the original bogies didn't have as fine detail on them. The Vi 47 looks good too, the parts supplied for the most part look nice, although fine wire for the cab handrails etc is better than Vi-s odd looking flat-ish looking ones

NL

Hi Nick -  yes , one thing than stands out  on the Vi 47s  , if the handrails aren't painted you can see a grooved effect along the edges - due to them being etched from thick flat sheet. Its disguised a little on the ones painted white or yellow as the paint fills the grooves, but then of course it makes them appear a little thicker. 

The new detail on the 33 bogies is nice . Id like to think I'm very careful with my toys models,  but as i'm discovering , the plastic used for the sanding pipes is far too brittle and not really up to even the most delicate handling. 

More updates when I've finished Jury Service 

tfn

Jon 

• Like 1

Good afternoon, 

hopefully the pictures explains how the gangway is made - I chopped the Lima coach end into three bits , and added the 'rubber' bit from a rectangle of the thickest plasticard I had to hand , i think its 2mm thick -  with the edges rounded off  and sprayed satin black - while the paint was still tacky i worked in some weathering powder so its not pure black.

post-6893-0-61148400-1436094162.jpg

A couple of quick photos of 33207 - literally just out of the paint shop having been varnished -  - and when the varnish is dry I can put the glazing back in. The bufferheads need a bit more work  too - I've not put the final grease splat on them yet. I'm pleased how this little 33 has come out - but as Ive said earlier , mainly because the base model is a good'un. The weathering is mostly enamels , with mig powders worked in 'wet' 

post-6893-0-18425400-1436094723_thumb.jpg

post-6893-0-85462200-1436094765_thumb.jpg

Jon

• Like 8

Thanks!

That's an excellent tip for making the MK3's look better - I'm going to have a go with some of mine and see how they look.

Your 33/2 is looking fantastic - Are you going to fit the original glazing or put in in some laserglaze?

cheers

Will

Have to agree with Alex,

33207 looks great. I remember seeing the loco back in the day but my only pic is of the loco stabled at Woking.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-62706600-1436184247.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks all,

Peter , your photo clearly shows something that nearly caught me out when i was researching 33207 - around the time 207 gained its high intensity headlight the tail lights were removed. More luck than judgement that I decided to model it before headlights. Your photo also shows nicely how the ends of the handrails on the cabfront are painted black. I have a pair of the new retooled 33/0s (In construction livery too)to work on too, but they are on the naughty step at the moment!

Tfn

Jon

Edited by 43179
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks all,

Peter , your photo clearly shows something that nearly caught me out when i was researching 33207 - around the time 207 gained its high intensity headlight the tail lights were removed. More luck than judgement that I decided to model it before headlights. Your photo also shows nicely how the ends of the handrails on the cabfront are painted black. I have a pair of the new retooled 33/0s (In construction livery too)to work on too, but they are on the naughty step at the moment!

Tfn

Jon

Hi Jon,

I hadn't noticed the black on the handrails, and  I am afraid to tell you but something that is quite common on a lot of class 33s is the removal of the tail lights after a collision some locos have none at all some one on one side some with both missing from one end but not the other. So here is the bad news on 33207. it had at some point had the tail lamps removed from the fan end and not the other. There are a few pics of the loco on Flickr which show the loco in Construction livery without headlight but tail lamps one end and not the other. 

Sorry about the bad news I did it years ago on a lima model of 33059. What the plan with your other Cromptons?

Cheers Peter.

• Informative/Useful 1

aha! well I've learned something there about the tail lights -    i think I've tended to not notice them when they are there , but notice when the aren't there (if that makes sense?!)

Will see if i can retrospectively remove them as it would be a nice feature to have modelled correctly . Were the tail lights ever used on the real things - ive never seen photos of them 'in action' so to speak

jN

Sorry Peter , didnt answer  your last question before  -  I'm trying to fix the livery errors on the new 33/0s - the construction ones are particularly bad - there is issues with the logos and numbers, the position of the flint grey on the sides and the colors themselves, the position of the bodyside windows (i think) , and warning panels/black windscreens have the opposite problem to 33202 ,  this varied between locos though. I've been trying to get away with a partial repaint but its looking like it would be easier to start from scratch. 

I'm a bit rusty with class 33s (class 50s are just better) , but it seems on triple grey ones , the bottom edge of the black windscreens doesn't always line up with the bottom edge of the flint grey - i.e the two color boundaries aren't always at the same height.

I cant help thinking Rail Exclusive would have done a better job!

jon

I decided to reward myself for completing jury service and bought this

post-6893-0-56363700-1436296735_thumb.jpg

I had one of these a few years back , but sold it , which was a mistake! It looks great in NSE.

I do find the con rods a little clumsy and spoiled by the screw heads on the middle set of wheels - plus the rear portion of the rod should be much chunkier than the rest.

Im not really sure if I want to build a whole new chassis (High Level) just to get better looking con rods. 

The etched radiator grille is a nice touch but the mesh is set too far back and always spoils the look of these nice little models - it reminds me of the Hornby 56 roof grilles.

post-6893-0-09435000-1436297045_thumb.jpg

Luckily its a dead easy fix - the mesh is glued onto a backing plate that in turn is glued on the inside of the bonnet. Mine was well and try glued - after taking a brave pill and some brute force the plate came off - I could then carefully push a blade between the mesh and the plate to separate the two . Next i glued in a spacer of black plasticard for the mesh to sit on thus bringing it forward , so now its nearly , but not quite flush with the surround that's part of the molded bodyshell. 

Looks much better, and it took me longer to type this than to do the job itself!

post-6893-0-55001700-1436297578_thumb.jpg

jon

• Like 9

The 03 is on the shelf for the moment as i have to get on with this:

post-6893-0-29220300-1436620321_thumb.jpg

Nearly ready for painting , a lovely kit from Make Your Mark Models - there's not much to say about it really - the instructions are perfect, parts are perfectly cast and it's a doddle to build. To get the most of out it you really need to research a specific prototype as the kit includes loads of alternative detailing parts to cover many variations on these cranes.

Nice.

jon  

• Like 4

Sorry Peter , didnt answer  your last question before  -  I'm trying to fix the livery errors on the new 33/0s - the construction ones are particularly bad - there is issues with the logos and numbers, the position of the flint grey on the sides and the colors themselves, the position of the bodyside windows (i think) , and warning panels/black windscreens have the opposite problem to 33202 ,  this varied between locos though. I've been trying to get away with a partial repaint but its looking like it would be easier to start from scratch. 

I'm a bit rusty with class 33s (class 50s are just better) , but it seems on triple grey ones , the bottom edge of the black windscreens doesn't always line up with the bottom edge of the flint grey - i.e the two color boundaries aren't always at the same height.

I cant help thinking Rail Exclusive would have done a better job!

jon

Hi Jon,

To be honest I haven't looked to closely at the triple grey ones as they are out of my time period but it is a pity Heljan have stuffed up the liveries Heljan seem to have problems with the numbers on other loco's too.

As for the tail lights I think when the class 33s first came out they were used but the Southern were happy with the centre window headcodes showing white numbers etc and the red blinds for the rear so the small tail lights went out of use.

Your twin crane wagon looks great I was looking the self propelled crane by the same guy they look to be a very nice kit.

Cheers Peter.

A couple of quick snaps this evening.

I've glazed the 33 this evening - the glazing is the original stuff but with marker pen run around the edges. I also slightly reduced the side of the glazing for the headcode panel so it fits more snugly , as this often shows up on Heljan 33s.

post-6893-0-97233200-1436733871_thumb.jpg

Done some painting on the crane too - tomorrow i have to tackle lots of wasp stripes on the ends.

post-6893-0-78675200-1436733937_thumb.jpg

tfn

Jon 

• Like 8

Back in 2012 I took my layout to Scaleforum - since I arrived home from the show it hasn't seen the light of day until now.

post-6893-0-41021700-1436788810_thumb.jpg

post-6893-0-27105200-1436789044_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist a little play , but now its back to work

tfn

Jon

Edited by 43179
  • Like 9

Hi Jo , Nice you spotted the cabin :) its one of my favourite little details - at some point it ended up sitting on a well wagon in one of the sidings -

visible here; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_08_2011/post-1161-0-32485600-1312497047_thumb.jpg

If i can get a positive ID on the actual wagon , then ill model it - i *think* its a weltrol of some kind. 

jon 

Hi Jon, it's a shame it got so faded. Tempting to use modeller's license and do one for baby Laira, though a little less faded!

Saying that, I've got a nice construction sector cabin spied at work to add to a future layout

jo

Thank you so much for posting that photo , its exactly what im trying to recreate - ill have to dig out my Bachmann 158. I stood by that fence looking at 50s many times when I was little.

Do you have any photos of the pair of snowploughs by chance :)

Regards

Jon