Long Welded Rail train

87023Velocity

Hi,

Right in the process of getting all my information together for scratchbuilding the Cowans Boyd Long welded rail train, all 12 vehicles (this is for a set based in the 80's as the last one running now is 13 vehilcles iirc). I did start building one of the vehicles, but there is still an item which I am not to sure about.

Basically on the intermediate vehicles (Perch) what is the flooring/decking formed from???? Is it chequer plate or a mesh type construction? Did the flooring ever get changed during their working lives?

Thanks in advance

Simon

The flooring was made from expamet mesh grating.

By the way, the intermeadiate wagons, were always known as the secondaries, the primaries being the Chute wagon, Power wagon and Rail handling wagon.

Ringo

Thanks for that Ringo, the pictures I had seen, I wasn't too sure because of the angle they had been taken at. Your answer has helped me out a great deal.

Thanks icon_thumbsup2.gif

Simon

What scale will you be building it to Simon?

Ian G

Hi Ian,

This will be built in 4mm and would be modelled in empty condition, though I have been thinking of ways to model it loaded. Would look impresive in 7mm mind at 20 foot in length!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

This will be built in 4mm and would be modelled in empty condition, though I have been thinking of ways to model it loaded. Would look impresive in 7mm mind at 20 foot in length!

Simon

Hi Simon,

The Mostyn boys looked at modelling a CWR train. Dunno if they got anywhere - there was talk of using rubber section.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Simon,

The Mostyn boys looked at modelling a CWR train. Dunno if they got anywhere - there was talk of using rubber section.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for that Mick, will keep that in mind.

Just need to make a start on scratch building all those wagons! I think the most difficult to build will be the chute wagon, which will probably be best made out of brass to keep it rigid. Need to make a start..... after Chrimbo!

Simon

Hi,

Right in the process of getting all my information together for scratchbuilding the Cowans Boyd Long welded rail train, all 12 vehicles (this is for a set based in the 80's as the last one running now is 13 vehilcles iirc). I did start building one of the vehicles, but there is still an item which I am not to sure about.

Basically on the intermediate vehicles (Perch) what is the flooring/decking formed from???? Is it chequer plate or a mesh type construction? Did the flooring ever get changed during their working lives?

Thanks in advance

Simon

There are one or two shorter sets knocking about which are known as 'Putler' sets. 5 or 6 YEAs and a converted OBA plus VBA tool van.

Archived