Crianlarich

grow45

For many years

It was rare for crews to traverse the whole WHL, typically they would swap trains at one of the mid crossing points like Crianlarich. If there was no off setting freight then for many years there was a practice of stabling freight and even the locomotive at Crianlarich  for a day or so pending a crew to take it forward. The original crew would ride the cushions back to wherever they had come from.

I remember chatting to a WHL driver in the late '80's and he was getting on for retirement age and had joined the railways aged 16 at Fort William Shed. In his 48 years on the railway he'd never worked south of Ardlui making his total route knowledge Ardlui - Mallaig, less than 130 miles.

• RMweb Gold

Returning to those engineers coaches for a moment, this is my N scale RMB still missing its numbers etc at the moment on my still early days under construction Scottish BLT layout:

attachicon.gif20170908_170934.jpg

RMB looks good if a little pristine for something resting in the Crianlarich climate!. What basis did you decide upon the number of windows to blank out?. From the departmentals.com picture showing the opposite side, none of the windows are blanked off. Ernie Brack's picture of the same side as your picture shows only 2 windows admittedly both of which are blanked off.  

• RMweb Premium

It's still unfinished at the moment, as you say, still way too clean! I found a picture somewhere of the blanked out windows side a while back, may have been Flickr but cannot be certain.

I will check when I get home later.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

I remember chatting to a WHL driver in the late '80's and he was getting on for retirement age and had joined the railways aged 16 at Fort William Shed. In his 48 years on the railway he'd never worked south of Ardlui making his total route knowledge Ardlui - Mallaig, less than 130 miles.

I can think of worse places to have worked for 48 years

For many years

It was rare for crews to traverse the whole WHL, typically they would swap trains at one of the mid crossing points like Crianlarich. If there was no off setting freight then for many years there was a practice of stabling freight and even the locomotive at Crianlarich  for a day or so pending a crew to take it forward. The original crew would ride the cushions back to wherever they had come from.

Thanks very much for the information :)

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I have found the copy of the picture that I used as the basis for the RMB's blanked out side windows, I have however been unable to trace the original online source in order to provide a link, it may be that it was lost in the recent Photobucket implosion so for now I am posting it here for information only.  Mod's feel free to delete this if there is any issue here with copyright or if you are the original owner then let me know and I will knock it on the head.

post-6910-0-80750700-1504965311_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello

I have found the copy of the picture that I used as the basis for the RMB's blanked out side windows, I have however been unable to trace the original online source in order to provide a link, it may be that it was lost in the recent Photobucket implosion so for now I am posting it here for information only.  Mod's feel free to delete this if there is any issue here with copyright or if you are the original owner then let me know and I will knock it on the head.

attachicon.gif7687024424_a750dbf06d_b.jpg

Thanks John

The picture is very useful, I shall use the detail and blank out the windows when I get round to reassembling the RMB

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Hi John,

This is one from Ernie Brack...

Always useful for Scottish stuff!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/with/72157687544793485

Link given is to the Albums page on FlickR as he has more than just Scottish stuff available.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

the missing one was maybe lost in the Fotopic implosion - Irishswissernie's was only one of the amazing collections that disappeared. considering the size of some of them, it's probably inevitable that some pics got missed when they were put back on the 'net. Thing is, there were some favourite Fotopics that never got back online at all - i think a lot of folk probably thought 'I'm not doing all that again!'

Hello

Yes this is one of mine, Due to one of my copyright holders being advised that I was selling his images for profit (totally wrong of course), I removed some 28,000 images from Flickr until this issue had been resolved as I didn't want him  at his time of life being upset. This has now been sorted out. Unfortunately shortly after removal my computer crashed and I lost the original Flickr files but not the images which are scattered in numerous folders. 

The West Highland & Callender & Oban Albums are now back, greatly enhanced by images copyright of the ARMSTRONG Railway Photographic Trust+ photographer.

This RMB photo is from September 1985 and as a 'quickfix' as there are quite a few other images which havn't been put back on, I have uploaded the original trip as a separate folder:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157686481907854

I quite like it as it gives a particular 'Time snapshot'

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At the annual Warley show in 2016 I bought an airbrush and compressor which, until now, has sat in its box because I have been frightened to use it! Over the last few days I managed to bite the bullet and with the assistance of George Dent's 'Airbrushing for railway modellers' book, I connected everything up, mixed some paint and got spraying. Fortunately Armageddon did not happen and after a few lengths of spraying track with sleeper grime to get a feel, my confidence increased and I managed to get a layer of paint onto the RMB and sleeper. I think a second coat will be required and so I have not replaced the glazing yet or added any weathering; however I am very pleased with the results. 

The RMB

post-24755-0-79376000-1506960033_thumb.jpg

The sleeper

post-24755-0-98987300-1506960040_thumb.jpg

In situ in sidings at Crianlarich

post-24755-0-05330100-1506960019_thumb.jpg

post-24755-0-05668100-1506960026_thumb.jpg

The Postman also delivered Crianlarich signal box, a laser cut card model from Dawson Hall. Next up from them is the station building which I hope to have by the end of October.  

post-24755-0-19747000-1506960047_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pway coach conversions 006.JPG

The Postman also delivered Crianlarich signal box, a laser cut card model from Dawson Hall. Next up from them is the station building which I hope to have by the end of October.  

attachicon.gifPway coach conversions 010.JPG

Can you give us more info on this please!

Always nice to see some 'proper' Scottish railway buildings becoming available.

• RMweb Gold

Station buildings and signal boxes on my WHL layout are made of card by Dawson Hall. You can find them at https://www.dawson-hall.com/xcart/

If you look half way down on the first page of my WHL 4 layout thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119560-west-highland-line-v4/page-1 you can see pictures of a WHL station building also designed and built by Dawson Hall. Given how fiddly scratch building is, I anticipated there being greater interest in these than I have experienced so far.

Edited by young37215

A question about the connecting spur from the C&O to the NB main line. 

How often was this used, before the closure of the Caledonian line east of Crianlarich?

Freight from Oban to NB destinations would surely be despatched swifter by working to a marshalling area such as Stirling or Perth, or Greenhill rather than down the WHR.  Unless there was much trans-shipment north I would not have thought it would have been used much. 

But no doubt someone knows differently.

Thanks

Sou west

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any better shots of the ex Mk1 RMB, the former 1817 and later DB977078 which resided at Crianlarich for many years please?

I have found this one https://www.flickr.com/photos/35138806@N08/3515115343 but would like to find a better shot of the rather home made looking number panel at the left hand end.  Also did this coach ever actually leave the yard at any time or was it a fairly permanent resident until it was binned?

Whilst wandering through Ernie Brack's wonderful WHL Flickr site, I found a picture of Bridge of Orchy which answers the 'did the coaches ever move' part of the above question. The picture is undated although on the basis that I cannot see any semaphores, I am inclined to think it is after 1986.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36536540725/in/album-72157684935256154/

Edited by young37215

How often was this used, before the closure of the Caledonian line east of Crianlarich?

Freight from Oban to NB destinations would surely be despatched swifter by working to a marshalling area such as Stirling or Perth, or Greenhill rather than down the WHR.  Unless there was much trans-shipment north I would not have thought it would have been used much. 

But no doubt someone knows differently.

Thanks

Sou west

I had wondered this myself, as it was purely for freight interchange the answer seems to have been "not very often". I would guess the WHR would be quicker direct to/from the yards around Glasgow than going via Stirling and being remarshalled into another train there possibly? And possibly for Fish traffic to Glasgow? I'm not aware that there were any interchange sidings between the 2 lines so it would be interesting to know the method of working.

I do know the "6 Lochs Land Cruise" DMU circular tours used it in the 60s.

Whilst wandering through Ernie Brack's wonderful WHL Flickr site, I found a picture of Bridge of Orchy which answers the 'did the coaches ever move' part of the above question. The picture is undated although on the basis that I cannot see any semaphores, I am inclined to think it is after 1986.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36536540725/in/album-72157684935256154/

I Have the date 11May85 WBHS Special to Fort William I think.

Ernie

• 2 months later...

This should link to an excerpt from "The West Highland Railway 120 Years" by John McGregor, with some information on use of the connection before closure east of Crianlarich - https://books.google.ca/books?id=XipmBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT82&lpg=PT82&dq=lner+to+oban&source=bl&ots=WVb0AiJBGk&sig=PthM9QSIoGRw1AnAgkOEUawbNSI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi9qqjJ-uzZAhUHxGMKHZZSDCc4ChDoATABegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=lner%20to%20oban&f=false

Edit - I thought I remembered this, but had to do a bit of digging to confirm it. The joint LNER/LMS Queen Street-Oban excursions in the 1930s were headed by the single ex-NBR D36 4-4-0 piloting a B12 4-6-0.

Edited by pH

Looks interesting, particularly the backscene. Can we please have more pictures and a little more detail?

post-31909-0-22780700-1521103110_thumb.jpegpost-31909-0-16449400-1521103056_thumb.jpegpost-31909-0-38144400-1521102964_thumb.jpegpost-31909-0-59545200-1521102841_thumb.jpeg

Thanks. Layout is oo gauge. DCC with sound. 10 feet long, 2 feet wide. Present day. Backscene is my own photo, a panoramic shot taken from WHW above Crianlarich on iPhone 6 and printed off 12 feet long by Exactaprint in Glasgow