7mm Deltic Nameplates

Were any of the class named before they got their small yellow warning panels,please. If so anyone know which ones?

Locos received the yellow warning panels in 1962 to 1963... beware there are six differnt patterns of panel. Locos named before that are 9001, 9003, 9007, 9009, 9012, 9015, 9018, 9020?... so you're ok with racehorses....

A check on regiments:9004 Named(n) 23/5/64, yellow panel(yp) Aug 62; 9013 n 16/1/63 yp by Feb 63 (dubious). Best bet would be 9004... or a racehorse... but best aviod 9020 as the dates are a little vague for when it got it yp.

All data from Deltic Demythology by Ian Strange... a true deltic enthusiats booklet available only from the author.

Jonathan,

thank you very much for that useful information.I am afraid I am a die in the wall Kettle enthusiast,but could not resist the Heljan Deltics. Hence lack of knowing where to look ,rather than laziness.

So its St Paddy or Ballymoss for this one! The one with the Yellow panel will be the other one.Need to research which one is right for the Heljan Model or get the airbrush working.

Kindest Regards,Derek.

PS edited for spelling mistake. Wil. Perhaps I should write a new one a bit smartish.

First three I saw. February 1962 iirc, D9003, Meld, on a northbound stopping express Doncaster, D9007, Pinza, on a southbound non stop, same place, D9020, Nimbus pristine in the paintshops having it's SYP done. I have a poor b&w of Pinza, given to me later in life by somoen on the platform that day.

According to one book I have, Nimbus was Finsbury Park's favourite loco, often put forward for any extra stuff., kept in a nice condition etc.

It ended up covering more miles than some of the others despite being younger.

Maybe that's why it was one of the first withdrawn and scrapped?

First three I saw. February 1962 iirc, D9003, Meld, on a northbound stopping express Doncaster, D9007, Pinza, on a southbound non stop, same place, D9020, Nimbus pristine in the paintshops having it's SYP done. I have a poor b&w of Pinza, given to me later in life by somoen on the platform that day.

According to one book I have, Nimbus was Finsbury Park's favourite loco, often put forward for any extra stuff., kept in a nice condition etc.

It ended up covering more miles than some of the others despite being younger.

Maybe that's why it was one of the first withdrawn and scrapped?

Jeff, the fact that you have a photo of Nimbus in the paintshop having its yellow panel applied is interesting as I don't believe there has been published evidence of this; it was thought that it went into traffic with it, but Ian strange's book casts some doubt... but your photo would sort that - can it be pinned to a date and confimed as prior to entry into service?

Nimbus's last working was 30th March 1978, St Paddy's was 24th March. Both were withdrawn on 5th Jan 1980, I thought I saw data recently that suggested that St P was scrapped first, but I suspect that I'm remembering that wrong; the photo on page 53 of the Rail Portfolio 3 "The Deltics" by Murray Browm shows Nimbus being dismantled with St Paddy sat on the adjacent road just beyond... it's not particularly definitive, but the evidence suggests that 20's being dismantled first.

I couldn't see the mileages-run listed... but I'm sure that Paul bettany's Chronicles of Napier website will have this written somewhere.

Jon

• 1 year later...

Don't know why I never replied to this, it might have been that I didn't see it.

Anyway, sadly, being only ten at the time, in fact nearly ten, I have no photo, just a memory.

They were the first three I saw, all namers.

As I fell asleep last night, this popped into my head, as did the following:

The trip would have been end of January/early February 1962. The school my dad was deputy head at ran two trips a year, January and June/July.

I remember "Nimbus" was in the paintshops. She was delivered ready painted, of course, so why else would she have been in there apart from to have the yellow panels done/

I cannot find any photos anywhere of "Nimbus" running without yellow panels, ergo, she was released to traffic WITH them.

Works for me.

(My last trip was June 1962. I missed the January '63 trip due to my dad having bronchitis, and they never went again, the works closing to steam loco repair during 1963....sad, indeed).

Archived