Converting a Hornby APT to DCC

mkwolf1877

I have converted my Hornby APT to DCC using three Bachmann 36-553 8-pin decoders. The diodes fitted to the front and rear cabs have to be removed plus the capacitor fitted to the motor. All the plugs will have to be cut off the decoders so the wires can be soldered to the existing APT wiring. For the motor, solder the grey and orange wires to the motor brush springs/clips and the red and black wires to the pickup wires. In each cab I used DCC Supplies bi-coloured LEDs (red/white), solder the red and black wires to the axle pick up wires and the yellow and blue wires to the LEDs. You will probably have to alter CV29 to change the direction of travel on all three decoders because when it is going forward (in my case, pantograph leading) you want the leading cab to show white lights and the rear cab red lights. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, all three vehicles will have to be programmed seperately. Wrap insulating tape/shrink fit over ends of all unused wires and ensure all wheel/axle pickups are clean. I converted mine over three years ago and have never had any problems.

I have converted my Hornby APT to DCC using three Bachmann 36-553 8-pin decoders. The diodes fitted to the front and rear cabs have to be removed plus the capacitor fitted to the motor. All the plugs will have to be cut off the decoders so the wires can be soldered to the existing APT wiring. For the motor, solder the grey and orange wires to the motor brush springs/clips and the red and black wires to the pickup wires. In each cab I used DCC Supplies bi-coloured LEDs (red/white), solder the red and black wires to the axle pick up wires and the yellow and blue wires to the LEDs. You will probably have to alter CV29 to change the direction of travel on all three decoders because when it is going forward (in my case, pantograph leading) you want the leading cab to show white lights and the rear cab red lights. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, all three vehicles will have to be programmed seperately. Wrap insulating tape/shrink fit over ends of all unused wires and ensure all wheel/axle pickups are clean. I converted mine over three years ago and have never had any problems.

Thank you :O)

Using the semi-permanent nature of the couplings; with the articulated wheelsets, in particular, you should also be able to extend interior lighting to the intermediate coaches, by adding copper-foil conductors to the push-fit half-bogies.

If you were to replace the original power-car couplings with the similar type used on the class142 railbus, which now have power connections, then you could also use just 1 decoder ... but as with many similar projects, the cost and difficulty of changing couplers v the extra 'basic' decoders needed, may mean the decoder route is cheaper ... I use the cheap Hornby decoder for such basic lighting.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-6674-0-31805600-1353369177_thumb.jpg

The Yellow lines denote places to cut wires.

The coloured boxes show which wire from the decoder goes where. Cover all joints with heatshrink if you can. The other decoder wires can be ignored, make sure they are well insulated from each other to prevent them shorting to anything they shouldn't.

The blue star is the place where these bogies sometimes have a metal lump that makes contact with the back of the brush tag. Bend the brush tag forward to make sure it is isolated from the bogie frame.

The piece of tape at the bottom is vital, it stops the brush covers shorting against the bogie flexicoil casting.

One last thing, the APT motor is a higher current motor than all other Hornby motors of the same type, it was made that way to be faster, make sure your decoder is man enough for the job.

Good luck and let us know when it works, the world needs more APTs, here is mine :imsohappy:

Andi

post-6674-0-31805600-1353369177_thumb.jpg

The Yellow lines denote places to cut wires.

The coloured boxes show which wire from the decoder goes where. Cover all joints with heatshrink if you can. The other decoder wires can be ignored, make sure they are well insulated from each other to prevent them shorting to anything they shouldn't.

The blue star is the place where these bogies sometimes have a metal lump that makes contact with the back of the brush tag. Bend the brush tag forward to make sure it is isolated from the bogie frame.

The piece of tape at the bottom is vital, it stops the brush covers shorting against the bogie flexicoil casting.

One last thing, the APT motor is a higher current motor than all other Hornby motors of the same type, it was made that way to be faster, make sure your decoder is man enough for the job.

Good luck and let us know when it works, the world needs more APTs, here is mine :imsohappy:

Andi

Many thanks for this Andy, got it done & runs like a dream! Runs better in one direction than the other tho! Considering the age of it I'm very pleased. May have to look at doing some more mods to it, may even put the Pan on lol.

Now for the lights, don't suppose anyone does a lighting kit?

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived