59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

I wouldn't bother changing the colours on the shopping carts. The plastic coating on the handles didn't really become that common until the late 70's. Most times they were just chromed metal like the rest of the cart.

I recall a plastic wrap over the handle area, purely to provide grip (this would be late '60s - early '70s), but that wold have been on the bigger carts (trolleys). One thing about them is that, being (badly) chromed steel, they get rusty quickly when left outside for any length of time. This typically starts at the welded joints, flaking off the chrome as it progresses. Not that I expect you to model that, of course...

Adrian

Done my switch stands last night,there Central valley (dummy) with yellow targets,though there only small,but they just seem to finish the layout off.

post-13979-0-03567300-1353614041.jpg

post-13979-0-81462300-1353614055.jpg

Really going to have to get some people and vehicles.

Once there on i can start on the operational side of things,fancy using scenario style cards instead of waybills this will mean less paper work at exhibitions,will try and make each scenario last 30-40 minutes,the operator does 2 cards then changes operator,this way you can have time to look around the exhibition,which doesn't happen most of the time.

Ray

• Like 5

Ian

Always liked CSX,my first exhibition layout (Tomsville) many moons ago was CSX based,wasn't intending to buy any loco's, was looking for detailing parts,then looked in the glass display case and there it was smiling at me saying buy me,buy me.

boxed,full sound, all the bit still in plastic bags good price £115.

Ray

Doctors note:- need more will power,must resist,must resist!

• Like 1

Nooooooooooooooooo.

Step back from the layout, put the silly blue & grey thing back in its box. Moving 59th & Rust into the 90's would ruin the character of it. Build another one if you must but don't mess with this.

I remember an old saying: every artist needs someone to stand behind them with a "mallet" to let them know when they're finished.

Don't worry Andrew,i really got the B23-7 to run on "Franklin park","59th and Rust" won't get passed the mid 70's early Conrail,just had to try it on the layout,all the door spots are setup for 40/50ft box cars,couldn't use modern cars to big.

It's usually SWMBO that stands behind me,with rolling pin (flo out of handy cap) not mallet.!!!

Ray

• Like 3

Thinking of dragging "59th and Rust" into the 90's,only because i bought myself a early Christmas present,don't know if it will work yet will have to get some more longer cars out and have a play,all the detailing is done just need people and vehicles.(hope santa's good to me)

post-13979-0-86498900-1353950576_thumb.jpg

Ray

It would be very simple to bring the layout up to the 90s following US practice - scrape the board clean and plant weeds.

:jester:

• Like 3

Started to do some non-working lights on the buildings,and added a few workers going about there business,need some more people to do the street end.

Then it's down to vehicles looks like i'm going to have to send to the States for these, no one seems to have the vehicles i need in the UK.

post-13979-0-25752000-1354266029_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-56455900-1354266044_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-42949900-1354266056_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-14358300-1354266087_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-47417700-1354266102_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-33450500-1354266119_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 7

Ray said "Then it's down to vehicles looks like i'm going to have to send to the States for these, no one seems to have the vehicles i need in the UK."

What do you need? I have some that were bought for the 149th Street E Bronx layout, now dismantled, sitting not too far from my left shoulder - mainly trucks and trailers/piggybacks - if they are any use - all around 40's/50's era AFAIR they are made by Mini-metals You can see them in pst #310 on this page http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3354-jacks-in-or-shortliners-shortline/page__st__300 There might be a couple of cars too

Edited by shortliner

Boiler done for cradle car, just couplings to change on them,the plan is to run them with barrier cars,either flat cars or gondola's on each end.

post-13979-0-02936900-1354568648_thumb.jpg

One empty on to the layout and propelled up the cement branch and exchange for a loaded,and run it as a out of gauge load,because of the tight clearance etc.

Ray

• Like 2