59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

• RMweb Gold

Ray,

Make some "dummy" cross bucks for the ones that would face toward the backscene - no one is going to see that they have no "RAILROAD CROSSING" text on them from the front. :)

Then use the two you already have as the forward facing ones - save you some money :D

...... and some also have a small sign attached to the post below the crossbuck telling how many tracks there are to be crossed

sorry this is not terribly clear, but it is the best I could do at short notice

post-6688-0-59182500-1400230591.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the imput.

Ian

them's the photo's i found,which were no help,until Nicks explaination. :O

Daniel

all ready done that with the other cross buck,will have to make a new one :nono:

Jack

take a look at the photo on the previous page, done that :declare:

Well got to go soon and pack the layout in the car,so we can get a early start, for a early setup and of to the pub hotel!!

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 2

If you put a crossbuck on both sides of the track (it is a bit of distance between the tracks) then you will have to remove the 2 tracks number plate since there is only one track between the signs.

Hi Ray

I think Andy means a single cross-buck on each side of each track, the guy in the black car could stop at the warehouse in between. If someone else moved the car for him they wouldn't have seen the cross-buck.

Nick

If you put a crossbuck on both sides of the track (it is a bit of distance between the tracks) then you will have to remove the 2 tracks number plate since there is only one track between the signs.

Yes and yes.

Andy

The current Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) states "Where the distance between tracks, measured along the highway between the inside rails, exceeds 100 feet, additional signs or other appropriate traffic control devices should be used to inform approaching road users of the long distance to cross the tracks."

Some example signs are at http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part8/fig8b_04_longdesc.htm

The 1948 MUTCD contained similar language: "The distance that should be assumed to separate tracks before an additional crossing sign is considered necessary is 100 feet, unless local conditions require otherwise." https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawkins/MUTCD-History_files/1948%20MUTCD/1948-Pt1b_Signs_Warning_Guide.pdf see section 89.

Well i've done it,i've final won something,the only other thing i've ever won was a wet teashirt competition and that was by default, someone knocked my pint over and i couldn't stop crying all night!!

post-13979-0-82241800-1400448408_thumb.jpg

Thank to all the L&Y DCC members and committee who voted my layout best in show,i'm really chuffed,all that hard work has payed off.

Also thanks to the paying public for all the kind comments(it looks better than the photo's). For a change it was nice to talk to people who were interested in American railroads and the techniques i'd used to create my slice of America and not once did i hear "it's only another American layout"

Time to celebrate with a cup of tea(had enough beer for the weekend,with the Barrow gang and the Oldham lads and the rest of us jameaters!!!)

Ray

P.S sorry about the cheesey smile

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 16

Please say hi when you do attend Dave, I'll be there exhibiting Cane River as well. :)

Always nice to meet fellow RMWebbers. :D

But I totally agree, I'm just pondering how I can sneak away from my layout for a bit to gawp at all the incredible layouts which will be there - including 59th and Rust - one of the layouts that got me back into US modelling and has inspired me soooooooo many times in so many different ways. :)

Also thanks to the paying public for all the kind comments(it looks better than the photo's). For a change it was nice to talk to people who were interested in American railroads and the techniques i'd used to create my slice of America and not once did i hear "it's only another American layout"

Ray

Andy, This refers to "Educating" the public - it is standard practice at UK shows to have punters walk past saying " Don't bother with that - it's just another American layout!"

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, for the kind comments,hope you all won't be disapointed when you see it at TVNAM.

The wife gave my trophy pride of place,on the back of the little boys room door,seeing i spend a lot of time in there!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stinker:

See you at Tvnam, hope to have the crossbucks done by then!

now i can say"just another award winning American layout" :declare:  :jester:

Ray

• Like 2

Hooray for Ray! Very well deserved.

You have a great eye, man c/w skilled fingers!

Oo,er, mother.........

I’d jolly well like to see this layout, in person.

Also one of the most entertaining threads on RMWeb. Double Whammy.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Stupid American piece of hyperbole removed....

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

Surely an airfare is more attractive than a few years on death row, followed by a terminal experience? ;)

I’d wait until I got to the UK - a couple of years free B&B instead.................. :drag:

Best, Pete.