59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

Well Ian,where do i start,all i can say is my present tipple is Bengal tiger (just got back from a pleasent afternoon drinking it ,hic),but what i can say , their is NO bad beer, just some are better than others,that is my opinion,i not forcing anyone to try it or saying this is the right way or wrong, i'm sure you would agree, Ian.(twisting his arm)

I beg to differ about no bad beer:

post-7591-0-10738100-1408917916.jpg

:jester:  :O

Well Ian,where do i start,all i can say is my present tipple is Bengal tiger (just got back from a pleasent afternoon drinking it ,hic),but what i can say , their is NO bad beer, just some are better than others,that is my opinion,i not forcing anyone to try it or saying this is the right way or wrong, i'm sure you would agree, Ian.(twisting his arm)

Ray

Ray, you may be interested in my religion. The church of the fermented grain. :angel:

As I mentioned in the beer thread, there are bad beers. Mostly due to production or serving failures. A nice pint of Moor Hop can be ruined if a lazy landlord decides to dump finings into the cask. (unfined and deliberately cloudy beer)

If you like the Sixpoint Bengali Tiger, I've got good and bad news for you. The brewery has recently changed the recipe slightly and rebranded it as just "Bengali". (6.5% instead of 6.4% as a result)  My understanding from my tame bar manager is that 'spoons are going to phase out the Sixpoint cans once current stocks are depleted and will be serving their 3 beers from keg instead. No more half dozen takeaways @ £11.93 for me. :cry: The upside is 'spoons are planning to introduce more of the so called craft beers as the Sixpoint experiment has done better in most locations than originally expected.

• Like 1

Andrew

Only started drinking bengali tiger because of the poor choice in my local spoons (10 pumps,3 abbots,1 ruddles,1cider and 3 available soons),don't know if we''ll get them on draft in our neck of the woods!(we've only just got water!!)

On the modeling side done very little,(weathered 2 s1's,here's some photo's of the pair on the local) just can't seem to get going.

post-13979-0-47961000-1409310182_thumb.jpg

415-420 arriving with the morning local

post-13979-0-58871700-1409310211_thumb.jpg

due to the length of the train some cars were left the other side of Rust st

post-13979-0-91970300-1409310222_thumb.jpg

Backing the 2 loaded hoppers past ICU Mirrors (dog still barking at that mirror) up the spur to Central Hospital (they still have a coal fired boiler)

post-13979-0-46999200-1409310234_thumb.jpg

next job, picking up loaded gon from team track and placing it in train

post-13979-0-86139100-1409310244_thumb.jpg

droping a box car at Tino Tools

post-13979-0-27955700-1409310260_thumb.jpg

Now over to switch 3 Crowns

post-13979-0-87199100-1409310274_thumb.jpg

spotting a 40' (were ever i moved that bloke was always in the picture)

post-13979-0-89375100-1409310290_thumb.jpg

Last job picking a box car from Goldberger doll (bit quite today,but wait till it's Christmas)

post-13979-0-43242900-1409310308_thumb.jpg

Train made up,brake test done,time for a cupper before they set off

post-13979-0-91051600-1409310320_thumb.jpg

Heading back across Rust st,nearly done for the day,just a Reefer to pick up on the way back.

I'm out at Shipley on the 20/21 November,if any ones in the area come and say hello.

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 8

Pete asked..

Ian, you’d be good to explain the Exhibition scene - I’ve never built a layout to be exhibited. How would your planning change for a permanently erected layout in a purpose built environment?

The ultimate is someone like me .... building a 26ft x 10ft layout inside a 13ft x 8ft shed !  Can only be operated at exhibitions or if I hire the local church hall !  Expensive, but cheaper than moving to a (much) bigger house !!

Paul

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 1 month later...

Yepeeeeee! :danced:  i done it, finally got myself a NYC caboose, only took me 2 years to find,but i would have missed it if it wasn't for Doctor Quinns vigilance,thanks Nick i owe you one. :declare:

post-13979-0-44119200-1412192160_thumb.jpg

The original owner has started some of the modifications,shortened the stack,moved the grabs irons nearer the body and added Titchy trains bettendorf trucks,which look ok,(they,ll do for now) but i think the Kadee 581 T section  bettendorf is the one i need?.

Had it a part (like a kid with a new toy) fully detail inside, which you can't see from the outside!!,needs couplers changed,(to do away with Trix swing coupler thingy) then brakes added on the 2 inside axles,last of all a load of weight, about 2.5 oz,then she just needs weathering and she ready for the road.

To say i'm happy is a understatement (little things amuse,little minds) don't you just love it when things like this happen :locomotive: ,i do,well i think this deserves a drink to celebrate.

Ray

• Like 7

What a difference a day makes, 24 little hou.............

post-13979-0-42140200-1412268613_thumb.jpg

Done most of the other modifications,(weights,grab irons) except couplers and roof walk,reading up on NYC 19000 caboose i found that there roof walks where only 4 boards wide and no gaps in between un-like the Trix one which has gaps and is 5 boards wide,i'm going to live with that till i have a chance to build a new one,it may cause a talking point at a exhibition,but to be honest don't think many people will notice (but i'm sure there will be one),she's all weathered and ready for the next time the layouts out at a exhibition, which is St Albans in January.

May see you there.

Ray

• Like 8

Honest Jordon, i only bought one!! and for the price you would have thought Trix would have got all the details right!!!,I'm laid up at the moment so i have a bit of time to do the caboose,but not much else!!!

post-13979-0-45087200-1412323353_thumb.jpg

Here she is in her first revenue earning service,doesn't she look bootifull!!!

Ray

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

On the weekend of 10/11th Jan i'll be in ST Albans for a drink exhibiting 59th and Rust.

I've finally finish adding sound to my last 2 locos i picked up at TVNAM (doesn't time fly),there weathered and raring to go,these will be the guys i'll be using over the weekend,you may see a common theme in these pictures.

post-13979-0-30267400-1418829756_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-44470500-1418829770_thumb.jpg

Have you got it yet????

post-13979-0-10040700-1418829783_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-34080100-1418829794_thumb.jpg

lots of burbling

If you at the exhibition call and say hello or even better take me over the road for a pint!!!!!!!!

Ray

• Like 6

This one:

31xhCxqIDBL.jpg

G Roberts Printing

That the one you meant Ray?

EDIT: There's also these two which are somewhat similar:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=WH933-3252&style=&strType=&Mcode=Walthers+Cornerstone+933-3252

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=WH933-3253&style=&strType=&Mcode=Walthers+Cornerstone+933-3253

Though Gaugemaster do tend to be on the expensive side for Walthers kits.

Edited by DanielB

I think it's high time I went back over this thread and got inspired ready for starting my urban micro build. :)

I did the very same thing last night :yes:

St. Albans..... don't bother with railway exhibitions much these days but may be worth the trip to see and hear this layout.

So you changing your name to AlcoMan then?

would love to visit for a few pints   to give you a hand but will be quite a few thousand feet up!!!

Funny but I was thinking of changing my name to Alcoman!

Alcanman.

ps Nice to be reminded of your great layout. Would love to hear those Alcos

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

I think it's high time I went back over this thread and got inspired ready for starting my urban micro build. :)

Reminds me to get back into gear with my micro layout!

Is scratchbuilt out of card,walthers do one (where i got my idea from) Geo Roberts printing,i think!! or city classic do something similar

Ray

Thanks Ray. Think i may have to "borrow" that building and use it.

All the best

Lloyd

Reading through this thread got me started on my micro last night. :)

I'm hoping to have the time to work out the amount of power feeds I'll need and to get the wires soldered to the rail joiners sometime this weekend.

Once that's done the rest of the trackwork should be easy - I hope!

Then I shall be shamelessly ripping off Ray's construction style for buildings and paving on 59th and Rust.

:P