59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

Why would you demolish such a great layout! I've loved this thread and will one day build a US themed layout, inspired by layouts such as this.

However, I keep getting drawn to Randgust's kit site and his N gauge logging loco kits!

post-13979-0-25183400-1401447159_thumb.jpg

It usually the case, when you see any new railway equipment being installed (signal,trackwork etc) it's always a signed die for that branch line,so just as the MOW gangs have finished putting the new (secondhand ones) crossbucks up,it won't be long before it's all gone and made into a parking lot for the new proposed shopping mall!!!!!.

Though i have heard rumours there's a petition going around against the closure,this may give it a stay of execution,see it while you can!!

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 9

It's started!!!!

post-13979-0-14252000-1401614225_thumb.jpg

Someone's leaked a document to the press,it was all over the front page of the local rag,needless to say the local do goodders are out protesting,typical of them they all arrived in cars!!!,(instead of the train)

next they'll be camping in the yard and tying themselves to the tree!!.

A local reporter asked the residents of Rust st there opinion.one resident said "don't know where they've all come from there not from round here" another was happy the railroad was closing as she said "i may be able to get my washing out to dry and not have it covered in diesel smoke!!".

Just goes to show what can happen when rumours get out of control!!

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

post-13979-0-87297300-1402339103_thumb.jpg

With all the protests done and dusted and with a resounding win for the public at large and one in the eye for the accountants,normal service has resumed.

It's time to start putting things away in there boxes and start my check list to make sure i don't forget something,this will be the first of many and i still manage to forget things!!!!!

See you all on Saturday,lets hope it's a good one and there's loads of heads through the doors!

Ray

p.s only 4 days to go!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Long Island Jack any relation to Lackawanna Larry?

Sorry to start off like that, been following your layout from the start and just become a member now I can congratulate you on an excellent job mate.

I have to tell you I have a folder with all your photos in it for my own personal use lots of good ideas.

Thanks Ray for taking the time to post that marathon thread.

Neville (in West Australia)

• 4 weeks later...

Long Island Jack any relation to Lackawanna Larry?

Sorry to start off like that, been following your layout from the start and just become a member now I can congratulate you on an excellent job mate.

I have to tell you I have a folder with all your photos in it for my own personal use lots of good ideas.

Thanks Ray for taking the time to post that marathon thread.

Neville (in West Australia)

Neville

Glad you like my epic and you got some good ideas,we can all learn from each other,here's a couple more photo's for your folder.

post-13979-0-37462600-1408567181_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-39186400-1408567194_thumb.jpg

On a bit of a downer with modeling at the present,done now't for months,(even tried the planning on the beer mat routine while in the pub,to no avail,but won't let it beat me,i'll keep trying at the pub!!!) hopefully when the layouts at Shipley in September it may give me my mojo back.

Ray

• Like 4

This "lack of mojo” seems to happen to the majority of us from time to time, Ray. I know it happens to me - I’ve thought that it is because I have many interests (well, more than one) and my focus seems to switch from one interest to another at almost regular intervals. I usually cycle between Guns, Motorbikes, Railroads and Painting (as in Watercolour).

I wonder if it is similar to anyone who is not totally single-minded?

Best, Pete.

I'll hold my hand up and say yes.

My interest wavers between my various hobbies, but when I am focusing on whichever holds my attention at that time, my focus is pretty all consuming!

At the moment I'm drifting back toward my xbox, but I'm trying - so far in vain - to find something to inspire my attention back to my model railroads. :)

Beer certainly goes hand in hand................I forgot Guitars and Fishing in my list, d’oh....

Ian, you’d be good to explain the Exhibition scene - I’ve never built a layout to be exhibited. How would your planning change for a permanently erected layout in a purpose built environment? Would you then, say, hand build track? Would you stretch out the building process for maximum satisfaction? It’s the total build that gets to me not the operating.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Pete

If Is ever get my shed built then there will be a semi permanent layout in there but I would always build to allow moving it. I have done handbuilt track on layouts for exhibitions. In fact my first exhibition layout was all handbuilt track.

I love building with the operating coming second.

I guess Ray enjoys building as much as me and the beer side of it is very similar!!!

No modelling the next few days as my photography mojo is working due yo the nice moody skies.

Ian

I enjoy building layouts,also enjoy doing exhibition,especially the social side and meeting up with friends,i also love beer!!!

As to would i do anything different building a permanent layout,no,i'm quiet happy with what i do and how i do it,sure things could be done better, like track,detailing stock etc,put these things aren't at the top of my list,some people say that track is everything and must be so so,thats there choice and i'm not the one to knock them, i'm happy with code 100/83.

Detailing stock just means more to break of,i've lost count how many grab irons i've had to glue back on.

It's all down to ones personal tastes and abilities,most of the above only show up when you start taking photos and at the end of the day it's a hobby,not a profession for me,i'm not saying what i do is right,but i'm also not saying this is the way to go either,if we did everything by the book, how long would it take to build that layout,part of the fun is building it,but also part is operating it,taking a few short cuts on the way(ready to run track/stock) helps us(me) to get to our goal.

Now where do i start on beer..................!

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 3

Well Ian,where do i start,all i can say is my present tipple is Bengal tiger (just got back from a pleasent afternoon drinking it ,hic),but what i can say , their is NO bad beer, just some are better than others,that is my opinion,i not forcing anyone to try it or saying this is the right way or wrong, i'm sure you would agree, Ian.(twisting his arm)

Again it's all down to ones personal taste,some like lager,some like wine,thats their choice.

We all need educating along the way,but if someone likes lager/wine/tea(or code 100 track) who are we to say thats wrong,why not let them enjoy what they enjoy,life really is to short.

Don't get me started on relig..............................,not interested!!!!!!!!!!

Ray