The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cybergibber

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

A sign of decay in the use of the English language. At this time of the year,it makes me cringe to witness the term 'Crimbo' when referring to what is the season of The Nativity on this forum and not Match Of The Day.

That one's been around for years - long before 'puters that were small enough to fit in a Transit van.

I thought Religion was a banned topic of conversation ?

Seriously though there are many folk who shun the whole concept of Xmas or Winter Solstice Holiday or call it what you will. Probably many more would question your assertion of a nativity. So Match of the Day is fine by me. Though must say I respect your point of difference just don't expect everyone to follow your belief pattern.

I'm wondering what Christmas actually has to do with religion these days... Certainly more to do with material than spiritual wealth.

As for Crimbo, it dates well back into the seventies to my knowledge, possibly even earlier than that.

According to Collins Dictionary it dates back at least until 1920's

Origin - slang - it is a variant of the word Crimble which is a nickname also given to the holiday time because of Chris Cringle (amother name for Santa Claus.) which, ssssh, we all know is real!

• RMweb Premium

I prefer Crimbleytide...................

However, referring to the celebration of the birth of the special one (and I don't mean Jose Mourinho), how about Crimbotivity as a compromise?

Cheers,

Mick

(I'll probably be busy on the 25th helping out at wife's work)

As It's all a bit of happy delusional fun that perks us all up over the darkest days of the year..

Does it really matter what anyone calls it?

I am not an aetheist, far, far from it - but the more weird names for it the merrier it seems to get! :rolleyes:

I got into trouble with my grandaughters school teacher the other day because I told her what Christmas is about and who Santa Clause is (no, not your parents putting stuff under the tree), and she went away quite happy having asked why is Christmas in December and not in August when its nice and warm. I didn't overdo the religion, not being any particular flavour myself, just the "facts" as it were, and her teacher told me off because they don't like parents deviating form the official line that "Christmas is a holiday where some people give presents"!!!

A sign of decay in the use of the English language. At this time of the year,it makes me cringe to witness the term 'Crimbo' when referring to what is the season of The Nativity on this forum and not Match Of The Day.

Not really, Language, and grammar, are always subject to change, with new words coming and going - when they stop doing so they become moribund and their usage dies out - think how many people still speak Latin (yes, I know that it has influenced the development of many other language), Ancient Egyptian, or Babylonian- and who is to say that their pronounciation is correctly done. English, in its many and varied forms is one of the more constantly evolving ones - and long may it remain so.

I got into trouble with my grandaughters school teacher the other day because I told her what Christmas is about and who Santa Clause is (no, not your parents putting stuff under the tree), and she went away quite happy having asked why is Christmas in December and not in August when its nice and warm. I didn't overdo the religion, not being any particular flavour myself, just the "facts" as it were, and her teacher told me off because they don't like parents deviating form the official line that "Christmas is a holiday where some people give presents"!!!

Political correctness, and dogma, gone mad!

so you're not allowed to tell your children what you believe / feel to be true / important and instead have to go with a sanitised version that in trying not to offend people actuall offends those people due to tiptoeing round them while they couldn't care?

did we wake up in cold war russia this morning?

quick, hide, the statsi are coming.

sorry

Accepting that some people do and some people don't and certainly not wanting to break any rules on religious posting...thought it might be worth sharing something from yesterday.

We took the children to see Father Christmas yesterday at the charming Rural Life Centre near Farnham. For those of you that don't know it, it has a light railway, salvaged buildings, including a tiny chapel and cricket pavilion. As a by-the-by it has the wooded Germanic forest from the opening scene of Gladiator as a back scene. Well worth a visit.

What was the first thing my two did after they received their presents from Father Christmas? They spotted the chapel, went in to explore, saw a nativity scene and made sure the baby Jesus had a good look at their presents. Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh was supplemented by a Corgi #77A bus routed to Euston (via Bethlehem).

Now, this post might just amount to a pile of cybegibber, but amongst all our grown-up cynicism, maybe it's worth stepping back and observing how our children see Christmas. Now, I'm not religious - far from it - but I'm quite happy that my two littleuns have a good understanding of the traditional meaning of Christmas, rather than some version approved of by politically correct do-gooders.

So, obviously I'm not going to put a picture of them up. But maybe you'd like to see this picture of "Elouise" which took us up to see Father Christmas.

So, whatever your preference, I'd like to wish you all a Happy and Peaceful Christmas. And happy modelling and fellowship in 2012.

post-4299-0-90930600-1324209672_thumb.jpg

Archived