Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

My new ideal layout venue.

tetleys

It must be getting on for two years since I mentioned my intentions to build a new layout and I'm happy to report that within a few weeks I hope to make a start on the new baseboards. The current Mrs. Tetleys and I have been working every day for 18 months to get the new room ready. I should mention the delay has been caused by us having to build a three bedroom annex on the side.post-372-0-53877800-1324214255_thumb.jpg

Having spotted Gordon S. posts I could see the potential of having a dedicated room above the garage although the half walls do restrict base board height to 1.05m. Since our family has long since flown (or was pushed) out of the nest we no longer need four double bedrooms so we've down sized (by 4 sq.m. soon to be rectified when I build an attached workshop). The fourth bedroom is now the railway room and although I've made provision for an en-suite it has not been built, so the dimensions are 6.9m x 5.4 or 22'6" by 17'6" in old money. A small lobby gives access and acts as an 'air lock' from the rest of the house where visitors can be vetted, any 'rivet counter' can be dealt with by the in-built 'Murder Hole' in the ceiling, (Clever blokes those Normans).

post-372-0-61014000-1324214896_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-00345100-1324215086_thumb.jpg

The current Tetleys Mills is housed in a purpose built family /garden room of similar proportions but because it shares space I only have about 9'6" by 22'6", however since designing the new house around the railway I can occupy the whole room. I should point out that Mrs Tetleys supports my enthusiasm 110% although visitors to the building site always question why the first room to be roofed, plastered, painted, floored is always Dave's railway room? The answer is simply it's out on a limb above the garage so is easy to finish and move on to the rest of the house.

I have the good fortune to have been friends with Great Northern for a number of years including during his time modelling his previous Peterborough layout in his loft, Gilbert would be the first to admit that his new centrally heated layout room is a 'no brainer'. My own layout room is heated independently from the main house so any winter operation needs forward planning. The new layout room shares the main house heating which, because it is 21st century 'Eco' ground source heating is running 24 hours a day and costs very little to run. It does occupy a bit more space in the garage though.

post-372-0-39529600-1324215738_thumb.jpg

I have incorporated two large velux style windows and a south facing 1800mm conventional window so there is masses of natural light plus some solar heat gain during daytime. Since we built the house ourselves I was also able to greatly increase the size whilst reducing the centres of floor joists for added strength and rigidity. The floor is packed with 110mm of solid Kingspan plus 170mm of Rockwool plus another 340mm of Rockwool in the ceiling and I've sealed all the floor edges with silicone to prevent any chance of drafts. The floor is inexpensive laminate and I have most 'un-bedroom' square flourescent light banks. I just need to add the skirting and it's all systems go.

Tetleys,

You should have a lot of fun in that space!! I have a 20'x30' facility room separate from the main house, the main problem is keeping it cool. Just one question, what are the metal grilles on the ceiling for?

Cheers, Peter C.

Tetleys,

You should have a lot of fun in that space!! I have a 20'x30' facility room separate from the main house, the main problem is keeping it cool. Just one question, what are the metal grilles on the ceiling for?

Cheers, Peter C.

I have most 'un-bedroom' square flourescent light banks

Nice work, now the build is finished you can sit back, appreciate the work and start the real planning of the layout.

Of course I'm envious of he space. Shouldn't be as our big new extension is nearing completion - the only problem is an unyielding management that wants to use the 40 sq.m. as "room to entertain".

Looking forward to following your progress on the layout. I bet you must be getting desperate to open up some boxes and exercise a few trains.

So what are you waiting for, build, build BUILD!!! :)

Neil,

There's a small problem of 65 sq. m. of floor tiling on the ground floor to grout and a few shelves, plus a loft hatch to finish which will see all my current savings depleted so then I can break into my modelling piggy bank (no offence Neil) and buy the wood for the baseboards. I also need to build a 25m x 2m brick and stone boundary wall, a large patio, about 60m of timber fencing , and about 300 sq m of paved driveway, after which we will do some renovating on the present house in preperation for selling. But have no fear, once I get started on the new layout I'm sure it will progress pretty fast.

Fortunately my investment (and Julie's discomfort since handling glass fibre is not work for a man) in adding mega insulation works both ways so heat should not be a problem, although I admit the south facing window will have blinds on it and those windows plus the two Velux can be opened to ventilate.

Westerner,

Don't be jealous of the space available. I paid a fotune for what has turned out to be a nice building plot. It was £1200 !!!!!!!!!!

Well I am originally from Yorkshire. It was sold as a paddock when I bought my original building plot back in 1986 but you wouldn't have put your mother in law in there much less a horse, it was just a rubbish tip. As for energy, we've always enjoyed hard work just not working for an employer so we took early retirement and I'm still only a slip of a lad of 61.

If I can find a couple more minutes I'll post a track plan of the new layout.

...A small lobby gives access and acts as an 'air lock' from the rest of the house where visitors can be vetted, any 'rivet counter' can be dealt with by the in-built 'Murder Hole' in the ceiling, ...

Does that mean all the layout construction materials have to come in via the small lobby? That's the one small disadvantage I can see in your 50 some (scale) acres of modelling domain.

Does that mean all the layout construction materials have to come in via the small lobby? That's the one small disadvantage I can see in your 50 some (scale) acres of modelling domain.

It is less than ideal, at present I can just step outside, walk down the side of the house to the garage for tools and wood working and modelling mess generally wasn't a problem. The lobby in question is just a 2' 9" (slightly wider than the average) doorway so access is OK. I'll make the baseboards and the supporting legs in the garage as handy size modules and build them in the layout room. The current ground floor based layout uses mega strong and over spec'd supports and baseboards but even with the extra strong floor it is too heavy to transfer. Another negative is that any landscaping gunge will need to be brought upstairs over a new carpet so I may just need to get working at warp speed and try and get as much completed before we occupy the house an have carpets fitted to the stairs.

Dave,

we have only met once,but I know your quite a large guy in physical terms and trained to look after yourself,but your either 1. Very Lucky. 2. Very Brave. or 3. Very Foolish.and I quote

" It must be getting on for two years since I mentioned my intentions to build a new layout and I'm happy to report that within a few weeks I hope to make a start on the new baseboards. The current Mrs. Tetleys and I have been working every day for 18 months to get the new room ready. I should mention the delay has been caused by us having to build a three bedroom annex on the side"

I once also read that one of the reasons for marrying the lady,was that her father had a cement mixer.

To me my current car is that one that I will be replacing when its clapped out or past its sell by date. Julie I am talking about a car to try and illustrate my point,there is no reference to any living person.

As I said above 1,2 or 3.

I rest my case.

I do of course know the name of a good lawyer near Bingham, but then so do you.

Good Luck with the new layout and a very Merry Xmas & Prosperous, Happy New Year to you :wacko: and Julie.

Regards,Derek.

Dave,

we have only met once,but I know your quite a large guy in physical terms and trained to look after yourself,but your either 1. Very Lucky. 2. Very Brave. or 3. Very Foolish.and I quote

" It must be getting on for two years since I mentioned my intentions to build a new layout and I'm happy to report that within a few weeks I hope to make a start on the new baseboards. The current Mrs. Tetleys and I have been working every day for 18 months to get the new room ready. I should mention the delay has been caused by us having to build a three bedroom annex on the side"

I once also read that one of the reasons for marrying the lady,was that her father had a cement mixer.

To me my current car is that one that I will be replacing when its clapped out or past its sell by date. Julie I am talking about a car to try and illustrate my point,there is no reference to any living person.

As I said above 1,2 or 3.

I rest my case.

I do of course know the name of a good lawyer near Bingham, but then so do you.

Good Luck with the new layout and a very Merry Xmas & Prosperous, Happy New Year to you :wacko: and Julie.

Regards,Derek.

Derek,

Very well written and your analogy of changing THE CURRENT.... when it's old and clapped out hits the spot perfectly. I actually nicked the term from Terry Wogan who also refers to his beloved as 'The CURRENT Mrs Wogan'.

I met Julie when she was a civilian employee of Lincolnshire Police and I was a Police Inspector and I was invited to 'Save a starving civvy', she understands that she's still on probation although once I retired from the police in 1998 I told her she needn't call me 'SIR' anymore, 'MR. SHAKESPEARE' was quite sufficient.

Since you haven't met The Current Mrs Shakespeare you won't realise that we live life at a laugh a minute and the two of us constitute the whole of 'Team Shakespeare' she being my 'straight man' for all the joking and tongue in cheek chauvanist one liners. We don't fear growing old, only Growing up.

Julie is a keen gardener and plants need water but I'm a Yorkshire man AND we're on a meter so here's a picture of the solution.

Second thoughts I can't find how to post another image.

Ah,

I think this is how I can post the image for the previous reply.

post-372-0-15522200-1324395503_thumb.jpg

This is how to treat a model railway wife! None of this "I'm only allowed the box room". ETC. Julie knows her place. I did lend her my best pick axe and coal shovel and to speed the job along I hoisted the spoil out of the hole using the blue nylon rope. (In reality she said her bum was smaller than mine so would fit in the excavation better). When she descended 2m deep she started speaking with an Australian accent so I thought it time to allow her out.

We now have a very productive well, perfectly adequate for plants and mixing cement or concrete though you wouldn't want to drink it.

Dave,

It seemed pretty obvious that Julie has a great sense of humour as your still alive!!! I assume you eat & sleep, at which times we are all vunerable. I actually agree 100% with the way you treat her as some of my early growing up was done in Doncaster, but going South for several years softened me up and I now unchain the "Wench" from the Kitchen Sink on her birthday and at Christmas. All my hard work and years of training get wasted when John Houlden is here and gets fed as he patronises her by eating up everything she cooks and not even testing it on the dog.

Border Collie that is not the Old One.

I find its far to easy to be good to them and then there no good to man or beast.

I suppose once the House is finished you will be hiring her out for well digging, even if its only to make her feel useful.

Kind Regards,

Derek.

Derek,

No need to hire her out for well digging, we've installed one of those old fashion but currently trendy ceiling mounted clothes drying racks so I've arranged for her to take in laundry.

Returning to safer territory, I've knocked up a rough and I do mean rough baseboard and track plans for the new room, I don't have access to Templot but I know a chap at Bingham that has, and he can use it.

post-372-0-76332900-1324399502_thumb.jpg

It may look like the remnants of last night's pasta dish but believe me it does work.

Despite Great Northern's best efforts to persuade me to model a prototype, in particlular Leeds Central the new layout will again be freelance West Riding somewhere in the Leeds, Wakefield and Bradford Exchange triangle. I want maximum running length with as much visible track for scenic work as possible without seeing tight 3' radius curves so tunnels and deep cuttings are a necessity. To make best use of the space available I have therefore made what my wife describes as a flattened pea-nut. The sloping low ceilings restrict head room so the operating well is central and I don't want to duck beneath boards except for maintenance or re-railing. The board shape and dimensions are more or less set in stone but the track may be fine tuned although the actual format will remain.

The black trackwork is at a constant level since gradients and main line trains do not mix well in OO I will include a 13' reverse curve viaduct and the whole of the top wall beneath the Velux windows will be storage track. There is a high level island platform with a pair of slow running lines that will serve as an extra pair of storage tracks for lengthy goods trains.

The red track will not be linked to the higher level main line at any point and there is no need since to do so would over-complicate operation for my preferred solo operation. Close scrutiny on the top right shows that there is a dumb bell return loop which effectively makes the twin tracks into one continuous circuit. Although I don't like gradients it is necessary to incorporate them on this secondary line but the train lengths of the more local trains will be more able to cope and the minimal height variation will not tax the locos too much.

I have not yet finalised the actual track layout and the stations will have sidings and minimal goods facilities since I've become more interested in watching trains slowly trundle past than shunting these days.

I welcome comments

Dave,

will you be sticking with Analogue Control or has a certain Gent had any influence on you with DCC. I assume the cost of chipping your fleet of Locomotives alone would make this prohibitive. Otherwise the plan looks very interesting. Good Luck.Do let us see your progress when you start.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

I was just wondering whether the photo of your wife in post 16 shows the lengths you've had to go to in order to secure enough DAS modelling clay for all those new buildings on Tetley Mills X (sorry, can't remember which version you are up to!)?

Seriously, I remember reading the Tetley Mills article in Model Rail 1. It was one of the things that got me back into the hobby. Your new space looks excellent and I don't doubt that many of us will be watching developments in "deepest Yorkshire" as you progress.

Jeff

Cutler 2579,

Analogue control only, I got tired of cutting a certain gent down from his loft rafters during his early frustrations with that DCC stuff although he and his visitors do seem to have it sorted.

Chris.

What VFR? I thought I'd move it to the new garage to over-winter only to discover that the Datatag alarm has yet again drained the battery to the point of no return. I've placed it on charge but I fear the battery, once flat will no longer take a re-charge and will require replacement. That means another £59 and it has lasted since April and approx. 5oo miles or less. I'd get the alarm disconnected but it's apparently a major job. I've got a couple of new winter tyres orderd for the Skoda so I might try for a replacement under warranty. Failing that I'll get it fitted with pedals.

Ex biker of Ancaster.

Archived