Class 455 conversion from 2x150

kintbury jon

Thanks. Things left to do are:

1) Tidy up the paintwork.

2) Add decals - i'd like to add Southwestern lines transfers but I don't think Replica ever did these.

3) Add some umper cables to the ends.

4) Fix mk6 motor bogie frames to the motor coach

5) Attempt to make the motor chassis not look like a 150!

6) Add glazing to the doors

7) Add shoes to the leading bogies.

In terms of paints used, I used Halfords car spray paints to do the white and blue. I used Ford Capri blue which was the lightest of the dark blue shades (if that makes sense). Other colours are painted by hand.

However, I contacted Bratchell to enquire about the availability of spare parts. I have received a package today which consists of:

4x bodies for the centre coach (to cover both coaches)

2x roof

2x gangway ends

2x motor bogie frames

Whilst this has increased the price at the moment, I hope that I will be able to get a little money back by selling the unwanted parts.

Just noticed this bit now, were Bratchell happy to sell you the parts? Id asked about buying 321 cabs before and they were reluctant

Just noticed this bit now, were Bratchell happy to sell you the parts? Id asked about buying 321 cabs before and they were reluctant

I had a similar experience asking for motor bogies. I think he prefers to only sell complete kits (or according to his website, only complete RTR models) - spare parts seem like too much trouble.

They sold me bodysides, roof and ends to do two intermediate coaches, plus bogie frame sides to do the motor bogies. It did come in at around £40 which might be why they were happy for a sale. It may be that you need to order a financially significant amount and bogies/cab ends son't add up to enough to make it worth while.

They sold me bodysides, roof and ends to do two intermediate coaches, plus bogie frame sides to do the motor bogies. It did come in at around £40 which might be why they were happy for a sale. It may be that you need to order a financially significant amount and bogies/cab ends son't add up to enough to make it worth while.

Should not be like that though, what if you had a kit and damaged a piece? Anyway, I wont dwell on the subject, looking at Bratchells site I can see why you have taken this route!

Ok, jobs 4 and 5 have been attempted.

I have dug out the chassis parts that I removed from the now trailer coaches. From looking at a few photos I have attempted to replicate the chassis using the parts that I have. I'm not to worried by the fact that it's not correct, the trailer coaches aren't correct either but they're good enough for me.

The mark 6 motor bogies have been fixed on top of the heavily filed down Bachmann bogies. The photos emphasise the work required on the paintwork, i'll do this once i've located a suitably thin paint prush. The black on the rooves is going to need redoing as the paint is wearing off where the ridges are. Nevermind, all good fun!

post-1105-0-81584000-1332938252_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-44644300-1332938303_thumb.jpg

Having now gone the easy (but expensive) route and ordered a Bratchell 455, the chances have just gone up astronomically that Bachmann (or Hornby) will announce a rtr 455 next year!!

Jon, your 455 is really taking shape now. Keep up the good work.

The photos emphasise the work required on the paintwork, i'll do this once i've located a suitably thin paint prush. The black on the rooves is going to need redoing as the paint is wearing off where the ridges are. Nevermind, all good fun!

Use Tamiya masking tape for the retouching, should prevent bleeds

• 4 months later...

And five months later i've got off my backside and actually done something!

Have detailed the end using various bits of pipework to make the end have that 455 feel. The unit had to be numbered first as the pipes have to obscure the numbers on the left side.

post-1105-0-19147200-1344975326_thumb.jpg

The lit end

post-1105-0-55515900-1344975377_thumb.jpg

There are times when I wonder whether I have too many trains - I probably do! A line up of my NSE liveried EMUs from left to right, 6225, 3588, 3470, 1305, 6416, 5907 and ED 73126.

post-1105-0-01014600-1344975587_thumb.jpg

Neat job, though really your jumper cable on the LH side should be shaped to avoid the lights - see http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages%20EMU/Recognition%20EMU/IllusEMU_455.html It looks slightly strange, but you can see the reasoning behind it. Also note that part of the raised surround to the cab is cut away in the lower half to provide space for some vertical handrails (Both in 2nd, 3rd & 4th pictures).

Quite often the jumper cable is not put back on the cradle (lazy lot shunters :angel: ) and will hang over the lights so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

That model looks brilliant and I cant wait for the forthcoming announcement about the RTR model! :locomotive:

Archived