Class 455 conversion from 2x150

kintbury jon

OK things have changed somewhat but some progress...

The 150 kits were not as good as i'd hoped and did not match the Bratchell centre car sides at all.

Instead, I thought sod it and purchased two Bachmann 150's in Arriva livery for a good price.

They have just arrived and I have done some dismantling to see what can be done with them.

Picking out the glazing out of the DMSL, i'm delighted to see that the glazing fits into the Bratchell body exactly. I think that the bodies look good together, the main difference being the difference in the sliding door windows (correct for the 150 though the 455 had smaller windows).

post-1105-0-29043400-1325775723_thumb.jpg

I have two motor coaches at the moment but only require one. By luck a Lima mark 2 chassis seems to fit well but would require bogies and various mods.

post-1105-0-13210000-1325775738_thumb.jpg

Starting to look like a 4-car EMU, Jon, and a good bit of luck with those windows!

You could probably sell your spare chassis on Ebay for a decent price; that's what I intend to do with mine. As for your Lima chassis, I'm sure this will be fine once the correct 'motor' bogies and underframe equipment have ben fitted. If you do run into difficulty, a simple chassis could be made from a sheet of thick plastic.

Cheers,

Will

Couldn't resist trying it out. Formation is:

1) Standard class 150 Dummy car (lighting is connected to the motor coach)

2) 150 motor coach with Bratchell bodyshell on top

3) Lima chassis with Bratchell bodyshell on top (taped together!)

4) Standard class 150 Dummy car (no lighting)

Lots to go and I will need 6 extra pieces of glazing. I may end up not glazing one side of the motor coach until I source them (though it will be a while before I get to that stage!)

MOV05139.MPG

I think that the bodies look good together, the main difference being the difference in the sliding door windows (correct for the 150 though the 455 had smaller windows).

If you model (45)5920 that one has the deeper windows on all the doors, 5918 has deeper windows on the vestibule (cab) doors.

I'm planning to use the Lima chassis for the intermediate trailer coach. I'll need to ge hold of some suitable bogies for it though. Class 156 trailer bogies would do - they may be available as spares though as it's now a Hornby product.

The power car bogies are quite different to the other trailer coaches, the nearest 'close' approximation being the Class 158/Mk.3 DVT bogies; not an exact match, but they would fool most people having the correct twin springs per axlebox and a similar frame shape.

I like this, Jon. I have been thinking along the same lines, having a spare 150 myself. What I have been toying with is to reduce that massive chassis weight on the motor coach, perhaps cutting it down to around one quarter of the chassis length. Will have to have a closer look.

I like this, Jon. I have been thinking along the same lines, having a spare 150 myself. What I have been toying with is to reduce that massive chassis weight on the motor coach, perhaps cutting it down to around one quarter of the chassis length. Will have to have a closer look.

Aah but it's one less interior that I have to sort out!

I'm using the two trailer interiors for the driving coaches but will need to make up an extra one for the intermediate trailer. Interesting to see that Bachmann made a mess of the seating as it's 3+3 instead of 2+3. The seating bay nearest the cab will also need rotating 90 degress though that's all way down my list at the moment!

Right, a little progress today with one of the DTSOs.

Thanks to Jim SW, I have a pack of parts to detail the unit. As some of you may have noticed the class 150 has different sized doors to the 455, I am using the etched doors to plate over the Bachmann doors. First picture shows the filed down parts:

post-1105-0-26316500-1326208521_thumb.jpg

And the second photo shows the etched doors on top. (Spot the place where I slipped with my filing to the right of the single door!)

post-1105-0-67784300-1326208631_thumb.jpg

Very happy with the outcome.

Note that the Arriva logos have beeen removed, they come of very easily by gently scratching with a flat edge from a knife.

Progress will be slow now as work starts to take over.

Due to the success of selling the unwanted parts from the two 150's. I have bought a third 150 (through the forum) and hope to make use of the trailer chassis, interior plus some of the glazing.

Third 150 arrived today. Have raided a few bits off it already! The trailer chassis is going to go with one of the Bratchell TSO bodies. Have removed a fair chunk of the underframe parts and think it looks a lot better. Have got to the stage where i'm not sure which other bits to remove!

post-1105-0-12508300-1326320778_thumb.jpg

Am not worried if a few bits are in the wring place but would like a reasonable representation of the 455 chassis. Have got plenty of side photos of the MSO, does anyone have any close up photos of the TSO or DTSO?

Third 150 arrived today. Have raided a few bits off it already! The trailer chassis is going to go with one of the Bratchell TSO bodies. Have removed a fair chunk of the underframe parts and think it looks a lot better. Have got to the stage where i'm not sure which other bits to remove!

post-1105-0-12508300-1326320778_thumb.jpg

Am not worried if a few bits are in the wring place but would like a reasonable representation of the 455 chassis. Have got plenty of side photos of the MSO, does anyone have any close up photos of the TSO or DTSO?

Hi,

These 2 pics are both from the DTSO. Hope they help.

Cheers

Tom

post-7290-0-42422000-1326326242_thumb.jpg

post-7290-0-95020900-1326326346_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This project had come to a halt as i've been dabbling in a bit of French n-gauge, but this weekend I did a bit of painting. Have sprayed the bodies white and also the blue. The masking for the blue isn't good so i'll need to touch various bits with white paint. I think i'll do it at the end after the red and grey stripes have been added (by hand). Painting has always been a weakness of mine but hopefully it will look a bit better when sorted.

post-1105-0-57356300-1332102159_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-82255200-1332102185_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon,

Looking good! Wish I'd done one of these instead of a 325...

If it's not too late, there are still some Class 150 details remaining on the lower bodyside (I think they are fuel filler caps etc.) which you might want to remove depending on the level of detail you'd like to achieve.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for that. I had filled in a few bits but missed these! I do wonder whethe I haven't gone low enough (in terms of height) with the blue but will see how it all ends up when I apply the red and grey. I plan to hand paint the red and grey stripes as I have found the transfers more problematical (and expensive!)

Archived