N Scale Clay Hoods

• RMweb Premium

They can be converted but they are not quite correct (however given the scale this might not be a problem). Remember the hoods only came in after 73? before that they were flat sheeted.

Not really. You would be better off using the Parkwood kit available through the NGS. This is a decent representation of the BR china clay wagons.

For making the Hoods, one of the monthly magazines published a free download from Scalescenes to make 00 hoods. Just print it out at 51% scale and it should be perfect for N gauge. :)

Thanks chaps,

It's a shame you have to join the NGS to make use of their shop, every time I think of ordering something from them I end up being put off by having to pay £20.

I think I'll try the Peco 5 Plank wagon kit which you can find very cheap, I have found some for £3 and then use the Scalescenes printed hoods. I want a longish clay wagon rake and currently CDAs are £12-16, so at £3 a wagon the hoods look a far better option financially!

Plus once in a rake of 18 on my layout I'm sure they'll look ok despite any errors in bearing type, buffers etc

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Aren't the Peco wagons the wrong length as well? I would second the Parkside option as well.

The NGS is £15 isn't it, though perhaps an extra fiver as a one off for new members?

Cheers, Mike

Yes, £15 per year + £5 admin for new members.

I'd join if they had a none magazine membership option, maybe £5 a year, as I am not really interested in the majority of articles in them and I guess most of the £15 goes into the printing and distribution of the magazine.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jack,

I joined the NGS for the kits, not the journal.

But apart from getting access to exclusive kits, I worked out that even if I binned every copy of the journal unread, the discounts in the shop on useful things like TPM detailing packs (compared to ordering them from other suppliers) save me the cost of membership - and in 15 years of membership this has proved to be the case most years.

Having said that, what is it about the journal that disappoints? Have you seen many copies? I know the editor works very hard to make it appeal to as many members as possible, and in recent years the use of colour, and pagination, have increased considerably. It would be helpful to know where it falls down.

To me, joining the NGS seems like a no-brainer, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?! I'm always interested to hear the reasons for not joining; it may be that we can address these to make the NGS more appealing across the spectrum of enthusiasts. This is not entirely altruistic; the bigger the NGS, the more revenue it has, and the more new kits we can produce!

cheers

Ben A.

(NGS VP)

Why are you not interested in the journal? This is a comment I have heard before, which as an advertiser I find a little worrying.

http://www.ukmodelsh..._Model_Railways in Cornwall has had Peco do several runs of clay hoods for them. He does them both open and closed and earlier flat sheet.

Hi Jack,

I joined the NGS for the kits, not the journal.

But apart from getting access to exclusive kits, I worked out that even if I binned every copy of the journal unread, the discounts in the shop on useful things like TPM detailing packs (compared to ordering them from other suppliers) save me the cost of membership - and in 15 years of membership this has proved to be the case most years.

Having said that, what is it about the journal that disappoints? Have you seen many copies? I know the editor works very hard to make it appeal to as many members as possible, and in recent years the use of colour, and pagination, have increased considerably. It would be helpful to know where it falls down.

To me, joining the NGS seems like a no-brainer, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?! I'm always interested to hear the reasons for not joining; it may be that we can address these to make the NGS more appealing across the spectrum of enthusiasts. This is not entirely altruistic; the bigger the NGS, the more revenue it has, and the more new kits we can produce!

cheers

Ben A.

(NGS VP)

It's not that I think it is expensive as such, but each time I come to buy something normally I think "well, I could order 4 of those wagons from the NGS, but with the £20 I'll save not joinging the NGS I could get 6 of these other wagons from Hattons.".

I had a flick through several journals, though it was 3 or 4 years ago. The problem I had was that in each one there was only one article or sometimes none of real interest to me, though some other articles did have tips or ideas, which although not directly pertaining to my interests, could have been adapted to do so. But it seemed like getting it was a bit potluck as to whether it would have much of interest to me in each issue. It's not poorly put together or anything like that, it is just that it is aimed at a more general audience. Because of this If I was joining the NGS it would be purely for the shop and anything in the magazines of interest I'd regard as a bonus. I suspect sooner or later I will I have a big enough shopping list for the NGS shop that I will join.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to suggest joining the N gauge society and getting the Parkwood model kits to be honest.

The clayhoods were specific for the traffic to Fowey docks and as such had end doors one end for the tipper, which the Peco wagons don't have. I might be wrong but I think the Peco ones are a 10ft chassis whilst the hoods are 9th.

Your standard of modelling is very high indeed (looking at your 3-printed wagons) and I think it would be a shame not to continue that standard on your hoods, which of course are THE iconic wagon for Cornish clay.

I've built a rake of 12 up from the kits and they were pretty easy to build and look half decent even with my skills! I'll try to post sone pics today.

Finally I'd second joining the Society. The journal has improved loads recently but mainly the shop is brilliant for all those hard to find bits. There's also a fair few other kits of interest to us clay modellers.

Here's a couple of pics of my clayhoods. The first shows some being shunted in the works, and my first attempt at weathering. The hoods were made by first making a plastic former to the right shape, glueing it in place, and then covered in masking tape, folded for the ends. It was then painted with rail match 'ECC blue' paint. I've still got to add the buffers (not sold with the kit, I brought some Parkside Dundas ones).

post-9774-0-14783300-1325537956_thumb.jpg

The second shows a rake (I've built 12) being pulled behind a blue 37. Classic cornish traction!

post-9774-0-08613800-1325538038_thumb.jpg

Archived