Model Rail 165

Downer

This sort of info is almost impossible to embargo once it goes out in a published medium.

It might be worth PMing Andy for his thoughts. RMWeb normally honours information embargos. However in the past this has been waived if the information has been published in a widely accessible place.

• RMweb Premium

I remember this happening before - was it last year - and it was the printer's fault for clearing all their jobs before the Christmas break and they thought they were doing MR a favour by sending the copies out earlier than the due date :nono:

Mike

edit for typo

• RMweb Gold

Actually it seems to happen every year - at least with sub copies (of which mine, among others, has yet to arrive). In fact it seems to happen so regularly one begins to wonder .... But then in the 'old days' 'Railway Modeller' always tended to be early at Christmas because Santa clashed with its normal publication date.

It might be worth PMing Andy for his thoughts. RMWeb normally honours information embargos. However in the past this has been waived if the information has been published in a widely accessible place.

I'd posted this in the Speculation thread a little earlier.

It is a difficult one as I know efforts have been made to keep things under wraps and we've been able to do that over previous years but if it is on the loose (not received a subs copy yet anyway) it's going to be very difficult given the length of time between now and 3rd January. I honestly can't devote our time to hovering over a delete button 24 hours a day for just under two weeks but I won't be particularly amused if there's someone wetting themselves to be the first and blurt stuff out and spoil what other people are prepared to wait for.

Conversely the extension of the embargo date beyond the norm is the foundation of the problem.

You're right; we do honour any embargoes but I can't slap a super-injunction on anyone mentioning x,y and z on here if it's on a shop shelf. I think the best hope of holding out for a degree of decorum here is to rotten egg the first one to tear in through the door with their pants wet whilst stifling schoolboy sniggers at their misfortune in getting caught. ;)

Please let's not get into any discourse on whether anything's right or wrong and have any falling out about it. It's just a fact of life and it's only toy trains(ets).

MR 164 stated that the publication date for MR 165 was 29 December, so it's eight days early. I too have a copy but I am not participating in wishlist speculation this year and nor will I mention the relevant contents. As some may know, I have been lending a hand to the 2012 Poll, the development of which has involved a huge amount of analysis of gaps in current ranges and what seem likely to be the most viable models, so I have done more than enough wishlisting for the year, and probably enough for the next decade too.

Aside from the Hornby 2012 programme, the issue has lots of in-depth reviews including the Bachmann Derby Lightweight (blue example pictured) and 350, Dapol 10000, Hornby and Bachmann B1s, Farish 4-CEP (I thought it was a 00 one when I saw the photos!) Gresley non-gangwayed stock and more. Looks to be a very good issue.

MR 164 stated that the publication date for MR 165 was 29 December, so it's eight days early.

Hi,

If it was on sale on 29th December, the subscribers would get their copies 3 or 4 days before, meaning slap bang in the middle of Christmas, so the distribution people people started sending them out early so that they don't get caught in the Christmas post.

Simon

Managed to get this today and had a quick flick through. I couldn't find any mention of the 2011 diorama challenge though which was quite disappointing.

The Hornby announcement looks interesting and the round up of new models displayed at Warley will keep me occupied this evening.

Cheers

Martin

Managed to get this today and had a quick flick through. I couldn't find any mention of the 2011 diorama challenge though which was quite disappointing.

Hi,

I couldn't either, was dissappointed as well, but I'm sure Andy has enough on his plate at the moment, we'll see the results soon enough!

Otherwise a good issue.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived