Ruby Road. Somewhere in the Southwest.

ess1uk

There are a few points over board joints that will need tweaking on the plan above.

Also I think there is a lot of empty space in the middle.

The fiddle yard on the right may need extending as I might struggle to get a full length train on.

So much for a small layout!

Edited by ess1uk

I wonder if that space, in the middle, may turn out to get a number of items to occupy it    .........

There's are a few points over board joints that will need tweaking on the plan above.
Also I think there is a lot of empty space in the middle.
The fiddle yard on the right may need extending as I might struggle to get a full length train on.
So much for a small layout!

..........    I also wonder if the space for the Run-around might also turn out to be useful, when it comes to the practicality of shunting stuff in and out of the sidings.  I found on the "Shunting Puzzle" that solutions had to include space for the Shunter as well as the wagons, in the Head Shunt. That "empty space" you refer to - might just fill up, with rolling stock, somewhat sooner than might be immediately be apparent.     ....     :scratchhead: 

There are a number of other items which would have to find a place somewhere on your scene, like Signal Box, Shunter's Huts,Signals, Sheds, the odd bush, weeds, workers earning their money - chatting, leaning on spades - and some open space to reflect reality of a shunting yard   ......................     :locomotive:

• Like 2

Yeah I was going to put a couple of huts etc plus turning space for trucks etc so it won't be completely empty.

Wondered about a signal box, did think that the yard would be controlled by either an off scene box or ground hand points?

Could do it like Eastfield yard here in Peterborough that has it's own box despite being near the PSB.

• Like 1

playing about again

for now i am just going to fill the space with 2 sidings 

post-11924-0-66644800-1416862915.jpg

they probably wont be connected to the fiddle yard (however that looks) but appear to continue under the scenic break (a bridge)

feedback please 

• Like 3

playing about again

for now i am just going to fill the space with 2 sidings 

attachicon.gifRuby Road sidings 2.jpg

they probably wont be connected to the fiddle yard (however that looks) but appear to continue under the scenic break (a bridge)

feedback please 

Looking good, one thing i'd personally change is making the run round loop bigger to accept longer trains, I'm no good with trackplan software but this is what i mean.

post-6774-0-25279100-1416864353_thumb.png

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

The longer curved part of the run round loop holds 4 PWA vans which are the longest wagons I have.
It's true that the loco would have to stop on the double slip to uncouple but that's not too much of an issue.
The longest siding (bottom left) also holds the 4 PWAs.

pictures of rough mock up to follow.

post-11924-0-21111900-1417036504_thumb.jpg

post-11924-0-25621800-1417036523_thumb.jpg

post-11924-0-50786400-1417036665_thumb.jpg

post-11924-0-54353000-1417036689_thumb.jpg

post-11924-0-41101200-1417036478_thumb.jpg

light not good in the garage

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 7

I've seen them.

I do want some yard lights but not massive towers.

Too big and would dwarf the layout.

Looking for some southern region style lamps if you have any ideas where I could get some from?

I'm not sure what Southern yard lamps are like, but Gaugemaster do a nice little range called 'Trainsave'.

They have 2 different types of yard light, one with a ladder (the same as in my Speedlink depot area), and a new style one that's available as a single, double and a wall mounted one.

Here is a link to the page, scroll down, the new ones are near the bottom of the page.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=brand~~690~~brand%20category~~1270~~category%20scale~~%ACoo%AC~~scale&style=&andor=&method=kws&strType=#11

I'll be thinking of a few of these for Wrexbury Marsh, as I think they're quite good value.

Jinty ;-)

in need of some grot i think ;)

The OAA, OBA and MSV have just had a quick blast of Railmatch frame dirt.

See how they look tomorrow

Edit.

They can't be OBA?

They must both be OAA?

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 3

Hopefully they will be A ok.

Regardless have dropped in to wish you and yours a

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Merry Xmas to you and Kal too.

Just checked the wagons, not too bad in daylight.

They need a wash with really thin black paint to run into the grooves where the planks are supposed to be to finish, but looking ok otherwise. :)

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 3

:sungum:  :sungum:    MERRY CHRISTMAS ...   :sungum:  :sungum: 

Merry Xmas to you and Kal too.
Just checked the wagons, not too bad in daylight.
They need a wash with really thin black paint to run into the grooves where the planks are supposed to be to finish, but looking ok otherwise. :)

.....   and a small request for pictures of the Wagons  ....   :sungum: