B1, D49, Austin Seven, Crab and 2 Compound's.....

Stationmaster :

Nice to see it underway Larry - and to think that Floquil primer was my first serious attempt at spray-painting
I really do wish I had not tried to strip it as your finish was good enough to be sanded down. As it is now, I dont expect a Bachmann surface finish although I must say the mottled appearance on the smokebox is pretty convincing.

Clecklewyke :

I'm amused to see a D49 here. I would not have thought it could have got over the hill from Leeds to Lees, at least, not with a decent load. They were designed for fast light trains in flat country, like my home-town, Hull.

I like these secondary LNWR lines: any chance of some pictures of your layout?

I was dead keen to have a D49 but common sense clicked in over Xmas and I'm selling it. The layout was sawn up three years ago and is still waiting to be built again.

Brian777999 :

How did you remove the pipe work from the smoke box and boiler ?
I assume you are referring to the Compound? The moulded pipework was removed with a scalpel while any three-dimentional stuff was prised off.
  • Like 1

Today has been a day of detailing and sorting out the coupling rods. The leading sand & steam pipes were bent up from handrail wire and soldered in place. They have had to be cut back a bit to allow the chassis to be removed. I lost a snifter valve and robbed one of my Hornby christmas tree (4F).

I'm not sure what the large boxes are between the running plate and the leading sandboxes, but I formed these from thick styrene sheet and some round sprue. Handgrabs were added above the leading foot steps and lanp irons added. I built a Gibson 7F etched cab this morning but decided it was too much trouble to replace the existing cab. An etched rivetted smokebox wrapper was considered too but I couldnt get the chimney off. New cab handrails were also fitted plus an etched wood cab floor and a cab backhead from the 4F. Buffers came from the spares box....

post-6680-0-42615700-1325875574.jpg

The loco in red oxide primer awaiting another sanding down.....

post-6680-0-68635700-1325875568.jpg

• Like 3

Mickler, you are a comedian.... :clapping_mini: Removal of both the old boiler handrails gave the opportunity to sand the boiler down in places denied to me before. New handrails are of larger diameter as per the prototype and the miscreant hole has been attended to.....

post-6680-0-16820200-1325883567.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That compound is breathtaking......but you're a brave man taking a scalpel to the NRM model

Great stuff keep it coming please.

Rgds.......Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice choice of Compound Coachman! Lovely job you've done as well.

Trafford Park's 41181 is on my (rather too long) list of locos to build in 2mm.

By the way where did you get the RHG Simpson photos from? I'm always on the lookout for 1950s views of Trafford Park and the surrounding bits of the CLC.

Simon

By the way where did you get the RHG Simpson photos from?

I must have started buying them of Mr.Simpson in the 1960s or 70's. The notes on the back of one of his LMS Compound photos reminds me I used his photos to illustate one of my articles on BR steam liveries in a 1970's magazine, probably Model Railway Constructor.

What is next,......(?)

With a S&DJR 2-8-0 body, Deeley Tender and valegear going spare, anything could happen... ^_^

My earlier efforts to get the original Cotswold chassis motorised failed and so a RTR Bachmann chassis looked like a good bet, however, I freely admit I questioned my judgement several times when cutting up a £107.00 S&DJR 2-8-0 just to use its chassis.

The fact is Lees MPD supplied the locos for the area I propose to model and as they happened to have several Fowler 0-8-0's for the big jobs, a model of one was really a must. Am I pleased with the finished model? I'll say. A bit of work over the Xmas hols has provided me with two locos I have always wanted to own, the Fowler Compound and 0-8-0. I take some outdoor phots in the morning.....

post-6680-0-47683400-1325970418.jpg

Photo Jim Davenport, courtesy Brian Green.

post-6680-0-36972800-1325970192.jpg

• Like 13

2 loco's im after myself, the compound looks superb, i could never do the lining so im still holding out on Bachmann doing a br black one.

the Austin 7, im seriously in the market for one of them, either the cotswold kit which i cant find, and do the same as yourself with the Bachmann s&d chassis which is a good idea, the only other one i know is the Gibson one which i dont think is available,tried ringing them before to check but no joy yet.

3rd option is wait and see if Bachmann announce it in March but not holding my breath on that one.

There is/was a Jidenco kit, later released by Falcon, not sure about current availability. Not a bad kit thought it had an error in the etching of the cab roof rear, lower, corner. Not insurmountable, I'll post a photo of a complete one when I get home.

Tying up loose ends today. One of my 'Crab' 2-6-0s had donated its Fowler panelled tender to the LMS Compound conversion. But before preparing a new Tender I replaced the fine wire boiler handrail on the firemans side with thicker brass rod. See photo of prototype by R H G Simpson...

post-6680-0-66486700-1326306425.jpgpost-6680-0-85673300-1326306429.jpg

If when removing the Bachmann handrail one of the metal knobs breaks off, drill a fine hole in the centre of it before drilling the knob out...

post-6680-0-50668300-1326306749.jpg

The .75" brass rod with split pins squeed around it to form handrail knobs and cut short....

post-6680-0-65976400-1326306750.jpg

New handrail held in place with Loctite...

post-6680-0-35243700-1326306754.jpg

The 'Crab' now had a rivetted tender in LMS crimson lake livery which needed repainting in BR lined black. I deliberately left the L M S in place so that the image would show through the BR black paint as it often did on the real thing. I lined it in BR mixed traffic and added the fine yellow lining to the cabside lining as well. Finally it was fitted with a set of coal rails from the spares box....

post-6680-0-05909000-1326306758.jpgpost-6680-0-88743800-1326306762.jpg

• Like 8

As a postscript to the Fowler 7F 0-8-0, I bought a LNER Class 04 2-8-0 today and its the same wheelbase and appears to be the same chassis as under the S&DJR 2-8-0. This info might be useful to someone contemplating an 0-8-0 and needs a GCR tender after the conversion....

post-6680-0-71996800-1326479615.jpg

• Like 4

Near enough, as prototypically the 7F has a larger gap between the front, and second set of drivers by 4 inches (1mm -ish), the rest being near enough the same. Certainly not big enough to worry about. Excellent thread 'coach', very useful.

Edited by bike2steam