Loco and rolling stock lining

I am about to embark on self teaching of how to line out my kits . My question is will I be better off to invest in a Bob Moore pen or stick to my bow pens .I have read up on both but I could use some input from those that do it on a regular basis ........... ( loco lining that is ) Not leaving myself open with that with you lot :-)

Thanks martin

The Spoeror version does work the only problerm is that it is designed for 7mm and does not produce very fine lines in my experience and sold it on. I note he now lists "finer nibs" perhaps they produce better results for 4mm work ?

The Bob Moore version is much better for fine lines IMHO .

There is a recent thread on here re how to getting it to work.

If you are happy with your bow pens then stick with them and practice.

Bob Moore's lining pen was designed to run humbrol enamels neat, so the line put down was rich in colour. It was also designed to make lining consistant, you could do half the lining one day, have a break, come back the next day and straight away the lining would be to the same thickness. The pen design also means that it is very simple to follow edges, e.g. splashers or footplates. You can also use plasticard templates to draw around making panelled tenders etc simple to do. In full disclosure I have to say that I spent several years in the late 80's helping Bob demo the pen at various shows but no other interest now other than being an enthusiastic user.

Bob's design does make fine lines easier, he does produce a fine head but even the standard head can be used to good effect. This techniques probably works for the other pens as well but i have no experience of them so couldn't say. However if you use a template then use the pen to put down a line of one colour, eg. red. Then once dry load up the pen with the base colour eg black. Put a sleeve on the pen to offset it from the template and put down a black line that half overlays the red line. Your red line is now half the thickness originally produced.

I keep threatening to make a few videos on these techniques and I really should make the time to do it, in the meantime please feel free to ask any queries about Bob's lining pen and I'll do my best to respond.

Archived