Loco shed line numbering.

OldNick

I have a query with regard tyo the numbering of lines in MPDs. I'm not talking about the shed code itself, but the numbering seen on loco shed walls above the doors.

Was there a standard as to how this was carried out?

Some photos I've seen show the numbers not starting at 1 - does thios mean that the lower numebrs were on anotehr shed at the same location? or, alternatively, would outside lines be counted into the numbers?

I'm looking at London Midland Region, British Railways, if there were regional or company differences in practice.

Thanks

Generally (but there's always an exception) it was the 'roads' that were numbered (or named)

So, you may have "No.1 Road" ending at the blocks alongside a three road shed, through which "No.2 Road, No.3 Road and No.4 Road" passed.

Then at the other side of the shed you could have "No.5 Road" which (e.g.) could also be known as the "Sand Road" or 'turntable road' depending or perhaps it is used to store locos awaiting overhaul and could be called the 'dead road'.

I think you may find the roads numbered allocated by either the person who drew up the plans for the depot, or from long established practices, sometimes based upon use, position, historical significance or event etc.

Brian R

Some numbering started from the main. But as said above and I agree I have never seen a hard and fast "company" rule on the subject.

The same applied to the numbering of each shed at an MPD the term "new" was often used though in some cases the shad was far from "new" and was in fact the "first". I believe it was more usual to number roads in a roundhouse than in a traditional shed. Some may well have been numbered based on the signalling diagram and were more to do with how each road was accessed.

Of all the depots I've worked at, I can think of only a couple that didn't follow the main pattern Kenton described at the start of his post. That is, 'One Road' being nearest the main line, through to 'N-Road' furthest away. These included every line accessible from the throat irrespective of use, for example 'Six Road' might be a through line passing between the running shed and the fuel point, 'One' might be loco stabling, 'Two to Five' shed roads, and 'Seven' fuel.

I think, but am not 100% certain, that Quail Maps identify the numbered roads in so far as they are described locally. It might be worth checking a couple out.

The exceptions I've noticed have been where certain lines have had semi-official nicknames instead of numbers, 'The Slots' being a pair of long stabling roads for LHCS sets only, 'The Coal Yard' referring to a fan of stabling sidings for DMUs that had no shore supply available.

• RMweb Gold

The exceptions I've noticed have been where certain lines have had semi-official nicknames instead of numbers,

But even then the roads might be logically numbered. I think of The Garden at Stew Lane, which had about 6 roads, numbered within it, or The Cabbage Patch in the same area, which had #1 & 2 sidings.

I certainly concur that the road nearest the running line was almost invariably #1 - unless it had a specific designation like reception loop etc.

If it's of any help, the shed I'm modelling has the roads numbered thus: 1-8 from right to left (when viewed from the front) with an additional "back road" which is to the right of road 1 and the main running lines are to the left of road 8. This one is ex-LMS by the way.....

Regards,

Nice to see the dear old Cabbage Patch get a mention.

Ravenclyffe has a road known as 'The Rhubarb'

Andi

The HRD at Wembley was generally referred to as The Gardens whilst roofless and full of buddleia, yet technically still fully commissioned (well, Railtrack were taking payments based on that premise). On the latter basis it officially comprised Three to Six Roads!

Some may well have been numbered based on the signalling diagram and were more to do with how each road was accessed.

I doubt that many 'shed' roads were on signalling diagrams as they were not signalled.

So - would the numbered roads be just those used for stabling, or would they include those used for servicing? coaling? holding coal and ash wagons?

All roads, be they loco, carriage or wagon sidings would probably have had numbers but equally probably some would have had local names as well to make life easier for the uninitiated. As has been said already they started from the running line and worked away form there.

• RMweb Gold

Just to to the complexity, roads aren't always numbered, they can also be letters such as A-road, B-road, C-road. Of course this maybe a modern system, so I maybe wrong!

Simon

On the other hand you're probably quite right, some letter identifications go back quite a long time although I'm not sure about pre-war in this sort of usage?

• RMweb Gold

One line at Ipswich loco (the one opposite the station, not the one the other side of the tunnel that is now flat(s)) has always been known as 'Round The Corner'

Andi

Archived