Corus / Tata Steel 'Trojan' shunter - an N gauge scratch build

Hi Ben, PGN

Thanks for the comments. Yes there was some interesting stuff on the show, it even led to mum commenting on the loco steps, having watched me fabricating mine the day before. The frames are just about there, I'll try to get some photos later or tomorrow, and I've spent today soldering up the handrails for the side walkways. I just need to do the end railings then they're all done

jo

Here we go then, the promised photos. The side railings were knocked up yesterday, and I've done the front and rear ones today. Doesn't look like much work, but they take forever! They're formed from 0.3mm nickel silver wire laid out over a drawing, soldered together using solder paint. The end uprights and top rail are bent from a single piece, with the verticals and centre horizontal bar soldered in place. It's surprisingly sturdy! A combination of Pritt Stick and Tamiya tape held the wire to the drawing produced from my initial CAD drawing. Apologies for any odd angles, its all just posed together at the moment

post-6899-0-81188200-1328478865_thumb.jpg

Here's the nearest angle to the model. I need to file down the fan grill a bit I think!

post-6899-0-19628200-1328478762_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-58258600-1328478878_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-87337300-1328479090_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-14266900-1328479101_thumb.jpg

As can be seen there are some gaps in the fit of parts, so I'm thinking perhaps of gluing it together neatly and filling, thus trapping the motor inside. Of course if the motor goes I'm stuck, but then what are the chances?

jo

Thanks for the comments guys, yes it certainly does look a lot more complete, it was looking rather bare without them. I was worried about mounting them on the solebar, but thanks to the strip along the bottom there's plenty of material to glue when the time comes.

As for the weather...got it in one! Time to get uploading some piccies me thinks...

jo

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the current state of play:

post-6899-0-78978900-1330562953_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-24450800-1330562960.jpg

Apologies for the wonky handrails, this is because they're not glued on yet. As the end on shot shows, the model also sports a 3 link coupling. This started out life as a cosmetic item based on a TPM screwlink, but it ended up being usuable, so means I can test haulage capacity without yet deciding on a coupling method to use.

post-6899-0-81280200-1330562937_thumb.jpg

I now have the chassis wired up as a test - it works perfectly. There's a strip of phosphor bronze on each side of the chassis, with a wire from each to the motor terminals. If anyone is familiar with the LifeLike switchers, my pickup system is based on that, with the bogie pickups rubbing on the bronze strips. A 9V battery and an offcut of track produced the following:

Sorry it's out of focus, but I'm so proud of it actually working!

Next up will be a load test on my test track, now the theory is proven.

jo

Thanks guys, next update should be post load test, all being well

Congratulations! That's recklessly close to the edge of the table though! :O

Nowt like living dangerously...I've got to be honest and didn't realise how close it'd got until I watched it back earlier, ignorance was bliss... :sungum:

jo

• 2 weeks later...

Load test is done - 5 bogies round a 9 inch oval. Not fantastic, so I've added as much sheet lead as possible, and there'll be more too once the cab interior is finalised. It managed about 8 wagons with this extra. It shouldn't need to deal with curves this tight in practise, let alone a pair of them, so I'm happy with that kind of loading. Here's some pictures in the sun today on Embankment Road. Not sure what it'd be doing here, mind....

post-6899-0-41239800-1331492462_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-98031000-1331492473_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-85954000-1331492491_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-56781900-1331492502_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-84372500-1331492511_thumb.jpg

These really exagerate the size of the model! I can't wait to get to the painting stage, it draws ever closers! Having the exhaust and white fillets by the steps really help to fill out the remaining gaps

jo

Hi Ben,

Nope, the stock was towed! I used the (unintentionally) operational three link mentioned a couple of posts previously.

I'm not sure what couplings to use at the moment, hence my use of the three link.

At the moment the moment my favourite is something based on this system http://www.rmweb.co....etic-couplings/ which I've liked since the day Jack showed me. I'm thinking short permanently coupled consists using either a bar coupling or Mathieson three links, with these every few wagons to enable splitting and joining as per operations at Margam.

post-6899-0-43980300-1331501198_thumb.jpg

Here the empty lime containers are being added to the back of a rake of steel wagons ready to head north

Semi fixed rakes would also help with wagon maintenance and reliability.

A rake of HTA coal hoppers is required, this'll use Microtrains in the bufferbeams along with a suitably modified 66, as per the buckeye throughout prototypes

I might do a BYA or two like this awell, with a couple of buckeye 66s, not just the one. Whatever happens, there'll be few, if any, rapidos

jo

That is a sweet scratch build there your doing and i find the loco ugly YET lovely lol - how does that work ???

post-6899-0-19628200-1328478762_thumb.jpg

Also i find it looks similar to the new German Voith_Gravita_10BB

post-14408-0-54242300-1331503489_thumb.jpg

Which is replacing the DB V90 -291/295 similar to the V90 294 below.

post-14408-0-85201500-1331503523.jpg

Ugly but exotic in away and a great build by you, keep up the hard work and in N scale aswell.

Cheers ken.

Hello Ken,

Thanks for posting, yes you're right, they've certainly got character despite the looks. That Voith loco has a good resemblance, and makes the Trojan look tiny!

jo

Your welcome Jo,

i Must admit with watching the Plattling Bahnhoff webcam ive come to love the DB V90 Cl 294, which in turn oddly given me the love appreciation of these BO BO Shunters in all shapes and sizes. oh and make me want to play shunt hehehe.

cheers ken

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the link to the pics. Doesn't look right in blue somehow. The modified cab windows would have been much easier to cut out though! At least it ties me to a time period for the layout when it gets done...

As for big brother...what thread? :triniti:

jo

• 6 months later...

Hi Alastair,

Thanks for coming back to the thread. Unfortunately no, there's been no progress since the last set of photos. Layout plans have changed, as well as me not being happy with some aspects of the model, like a fairly major warp along the hood. It will get finished, its just on hold at the moment. I'll post an update when things start rolling again

jo

Hi ewsjo,

I have just come across this topic and I must say what a nice model you have built. I though it was a 4mm model at first, even though the title mentioned N gauge! A friend of mine has taken many photos of Knuckle Yard this year, where these shunters ply their trade, whilst on a scientific field trip nearby. (All legal, there is a footpath through the middle of the yard.)

We both said it would make an interesting model, complete with these out of gauge locos - looks like you have done just that.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

It was standing at that very foot crossing that gave me the idea.

Thanks for the kind words! It's amazing what a bit of 'selective' photography can do to hide the ropey bits! I plan to remake various parts to produce a model I'm happier with, including modelling the grills rather than cheating with a transfer. I hope it comes out like your 4CIG, where restarting and remaking certain key bits is well worth it. It'll require a fair bit of thought, but the actual plastic cutting shouldn't be too bad based on my existing templates

jo

• 2 years later...

Steadfast,

Thank you so much for sharing this thread.

I've come across it while chasing a not too different hare - a pastiche of the original Hunslet in Gauge 1.

Like you, I already have a Mechanism in mind, with power bogies of the right wheelbase and wheel diameter. But unlike you I propose to cheat by 'up-cycling' a pair of hoods, leaving me only the frame, cab and detailing to do ( Only ! ).

I'm as impressed by your drawing as much as your model - there's a lot of careful work in it.

That, plus Boscarne's handy reference dimensions in your earlier thread http://tinyurl.com/pb43kld have given me a welcome head start and saved no end of poring over photos. I confess that as soon as I saw your drawings I thought, "Damn, he's got the height wrong!", but a ruler soon convinced me that the Trojan must be a couple of feet taller than the Hunslets, and the picture of yours towering over a Gronk makes sense. I was also keen to check the width, which I see you've clocked at an a reasonably nimble 9 feet. 

No pressure, but can we see your finished Nag yet, please?

Archived