Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Jack Ray a true gent.

3 link

I did not really know as to what section to post this under, but below is a brief note from the treasurer of the O gauge guild.

It is with great sadness that I announce, on behalf of the family, that Jack passed away this morning in hospital after a short illness. It was a few days after his ninety fifth birthday.

Without wishing to pre-empt any obituary, Jack was a founder member the Guild's very first Chairman. He was a prolific writer on his legendary garden railway, Crewchester. He was a wonderful communicator and stayed very conversant with all forms of multimedia. He founded and ran the Guild slide collection, which ultimately gave birth to the Guild Video Library.

The Guild has lost a real friend and quick witted character in Jack, in turn the Guild was a huge part of his life as well. I last saw him just two days ago and we talked of new plans for Crewchester in its present home, his awareness and sense of humour as sharp as ever.

Jack has always espressed his gratitude for the joy and camaraderie the hobby, and Guild has brought him.

We extend our sympathy to Jack's family at this time and wish Jack a safe final journey.

I will publish the funeral details as soon as I know them, but likely to be in the Ipswich area.

Graham Sheppard 6015

Guild Treasurer.

I never ever saw Jack without a smile on his face and I am sure I am not the only one that has been inspired by his work and neverending enthusiasm, you just thought he would be around forever !! Rest in peace Jack you will be sorely missed, and a hard act to follow.

Regards, Martyn.

I never met him, but have a copy of his wonderful book "A lifetime with O Gauge - Crewchester & others". One of the most interesting model railway books I have.

The "great ones" from the 60's era are slowly departing, as will we all one day.

RIP Jack.

Brit15

Even though I have chosen Scale7 for my modelling, Jack's Crewchester as a complete system has long been a source of inspiration for any 7mm modeller to aspire to. I just have visions of him and George Hincliffe planning the layout round the gardens of Eden! With deep appreciation for his contribution to 7mm modelling R.I.P. Jack.

Very sad news indeed. I never meet him, and never saw Crewchester in the flesh, but on both counts I wish I had. Like many others, I suspect, it was his writings that lead me to start modelling in 7mm and to join the guild.

Condolences to his family

Sad news indeed, one of the early inspirationalists in the model railway press of the 1960s. His clockwork Crewchester got me laying track in the back garden when I was a young lad. I have seen him on a David Jenkinson video and imagine he was a great man to be around. My condolences to his family.

• RMweb Premium

One anecdote about him that shows what a true gent he was. The first meeting of the Guild was held at the old Euston Station in , I think 1956, Jack was one of the people who had got the meeting together and was elected as chairman. Having formed the Guild they decided to issue membership numbers. It was proposed that Jack be no1 but he apparently insisted that it should be done in alphabetical order of surname. Last year at Telford I met member No7 and heard about the meeting first hand.

Jamie

He produced a Guild slide show on the old O gauge loft railway that my brother Mike and I built as teenagers. He was a super bloke - loads of old school charm, a lovely sense of humour, endless amounts of patience and very encouraging about everything, even including my scratch built large logo diesels which, as a dyed-in-the-wool steam man, were very much not his cup of tea. I used to love his MRC articles, but he was such a big name in the modelling world that I was very nervous about meeting him. I needn't have worried - he was indeed a true gent and I feel honoured to have spent half a day in his company back in the 80s. I know that he went electric in the end, but I hope that he has a permanent supply of clockwork springs and governors to power his beloved LNER and LMS steamers in the eternal Crewchester that he takes with him.

David

Archived