Re wheeling Lima coaches

Hi all.

I picked up some cheap Lima MK3 sleepers over the festive period. First piece of rolling stock I can't run on my code 75, the flanges are too deep and bump along the track chairs.

Can anyone point me in the direction of replacement wheelsets? Do I need to modify the bogies at all?

If its not straightforward I guess I will just sell them on again.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Lee.

Hi Lee, if you are replacing the Lima axles with say the later Hornby type axles, it is quite simple if you can you can use a drill in a pin vice ? you will find the Lima bogies are quite flexible, and you should be able to manipulate the side off the bogie enough to an angle so you can get a 1mm drill bit that is mounted in the pin vice to drill in to the axle hole a couple of turns to drill out a small amount of the soft plastic, remember to keep you drilling equal to each side, and keeping checking the axle holes with your axle until they become free running, be aware that you do not drill to deep on one side as you will go through the bogie side frame.

You will get a feel of what is right as you do more and more of the drilling out.

Hope this helps

Craig.

You can fit any wheels using 2mm axles onto the Lima axles. Hornby are probably the easiest to obtain and not expensive (10 wheelsets for about £6). It might be a problem to remove the uninsulated Lima wheels from the axle (they're fitted tightly) but heat or a saw should shift them. The whhesets can be gently levered out with a screwdriver.

An alternative is to replace the bogies with Hornby ones. (I did this with mine, but can't remember how or why.)

• RMweb Premium

I have re-wheeled my Lima Mk3 sleepers with Hornby carriage wheels successfully. The old pop out and the new pop in with ease and allow operation on code 75 track with free running and none of the issues of plastic wheels depositing gunk on nickel silver track.

• RMweb Premium

Replica/Railwayania used to have a supply of wheelsets with shorter axles to be simple drop in replacements. I have used them on Mk2s and Mk3s. They attend quite a few of the bigger model railway exhibitions throughout the year and have all sorts of bits and pieces on their stand, in the past including the wheelsets. If they didn't happen to have them at a show, I think they'd be happy to take details and payment and send them out to you.

Archived