THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hello CME.

Yes I have fitted TL's to my Dapol van and to my Lionheart tanks. Like you I run these in a short rake so only one end of the end vehicles needed doing. On the Dapol van I used the hole in the flat plate under the coupling box to fix the coupling block to and it does need to be a little further out than normal. I usually try to fit the end of the coupling loop a mm or so beyond the butter heads which is fine on my layout Will post a couple of photos when I get down to Platform 2 again which I hope will be of help.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks-very much appreciated.

A couple of vans will have TLs at both ends, Im still deciding which ones, if any, to run in 'cuts', there will be a van train for RAF Down Ampney. If the vans werent to be used for the BLT part of the line (ie the layout was just a roundy, roundy) then Id use Pendon/Tony Wright type permi couplings representing screw links and joined up vacuum pipes. But my 8-10 vans will also have to be used on the BLT section too in various combinations, such as in PU Goods trains et al.

Like you, I have used the plastic plate underneath the Dapol vans- with the protrusions hacked off-to mount the TLs. The TLs are marginally outboard of the buffers-my normal measurements for mounting such on the Dapol vans ended up with the buffers of each van touching/close coupled-I can only assume that the Dapol buffers are a little longer than eg. a Parkside kit. So, like yours, they have been mounted a tad further outboard. I hope to have some photos of such on my Thread when Im sure that they work well in anger (so to speak).

I expect that your club meets at Ramchester highlight just how well the layout runs - especially with the way you guys use TLs!

Kindest regards to all,

CME

PS I like Howard's detailing of the Skytrex vehicles-very nice!

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hello Everyone.

Now that all my visitors have come and gone (the latest being Mike Osborne from "up North) I decided that it was time to look at the space adjacent to the goods shed. I mentioned last time that Howard and I felt that we had not left enough room in front of the viewing side of the goods shed and that I wanted to hide the top of the curtain rail which could only be fitted where it is.

So we set to and gently prized away the front facia of the layout with a view to increasing the distance by a few inches in order to allow a vehicle to be placed in front of the loading door. This came away relatively easily and after checking things out it was decided to trim about ½" of the right hand end to maintain a gentle curve at one end and keep the remainder almost straight. It was then glued and pinned back into position leaving a tapering gap which we will have to fill in next time. We still have to insert supports in the middle  but this looks as though it should be fairly straight forward - I hope! Attached are a couple of photos which I hope illustrate what we need to do.

post-13361-0-01961600-1490040232_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-42343800-1490040272_thumb.jpg

CME. You were asking about how I fitted TL couplings to my Lionheart tankers and looking back over this thread I found a brief account plus some photos which I think might be of help to you. See post #1253 on page 51. If you want more info just let me know.

Best wishes

Rod

• Like 6

The original plan was to put the goods shed where the cattle dock now is and have the front siding serving the coal yard but decided the present arrangement would work better.

Rod

Your goods yard has an air of spaciousness that is so hard to achieve in a relatively small space. It just seems so right.

Paul R

One way to achieve this spacious feel is to avoid over-population with people and stuff. Here is a view of my Cwm Bach layout showing the goods yard (siding) and business end of the station. There is not a soul in sight, which is the state of many of the station scenes in the photographs from which I take my inspiration.

post-13142-0-21851000-1490169476_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I agree with you Chris. Keeping things clear and simple with a few cameos is far better than cramming lots and lots of stuff into an inadequate space. If you are modelling a large busy station or part thereof things could be different as there is always something going on. Ramchester is what I like to think of as a Cumbrian "Kingswear" which had quite a busy timetable and attracted large engines such as Kings and Castles etc  So far the biggest loco to arrive in Ramchester is a Black 5 which as everyone knows used to get everywhere on LM metals and elsewhere.

I like the spacious look of Ramchester and I do not intend to change this aspect of the model.

Rod

• Like 3

One way to achieve this spacious feel is to avoid over-population with people and stuff. Here is a view of my Cwm Bach layout showing the goods yard (siding) and business end of the station. There is not a soul in sight, which is the state of many of the station scenes in the photographs from which I take my inspiration.

I agree with you Chris. Keeping things clear and simple with a few cameos is far better than cramming lots and lots of stuff into an inadequate space. If you are modelling a large busy station or part thereof things could be different as there is always something going on. Ramchester is what I like to think of as a Cumbrian "Kingswear" which had quite a busy timetable and attracted large engines such as Kings and Castles etc So far the biggest loco to arrive in Ramchester is a Black 5 which as everyone knows used to get everywhere on LM metals and elsewhere.

I like the spacious look of Ramchester and I do not intend to change this aspect of the model.

Rod

Hi Fellas,

I couldnt agree more-depending on the quality of the figures and size of the layout, but for most layouts, less is more. Human activity can be implied by eg. leaving a door open, or as on Down Ampney Sidings, I have left, propped up against an old oil drum, an old gas- mask type ruck sack, thus implying that the 'Driv' (or shunter) will be back for his sarnies soon. Doing such allows the viewer to 'imagineer' (sorry!) whatever scenario suits and thats always going to be the most realistic for the viewer.

ATVB,

CME

Hi Fellas,

I couldnt agree more-depending on the quality of the figures and size of the layout, but for most layouts, less is more. Human activity can be implied by eg. leaving a door open, or as on Down Ampney Sidings, I have left, propped up against an old oil drum, an old gas- mask type ruck sack, thus implying that the 'Driv' (or shunter) will be back for his sarnies soon. Doing such allows the viewer to 'imagineer' (sorry!) whatever scenario suits and thats always going to be the most realistic for the viewer.

ATVB,

CME

"Imagineer". I just assumed you held the "e" key down for too long and hit the "r" key simultaneously. Easily done on a QWERTY keyboard.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more. I feel though that most of the younger generation have lost the ability to imagine, in this instant access, so called interactive, tick a box world.

Amen to that N15-theyre missing out, more often, than not arent they....

There was a chap who used to frequent our local. He didn't have a telly, preferring to use his "wireless", as he felt the pictures were better...

Best

Simon

Yes, indeed!, a wise man. I re-read; The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarrillion et al every few years and as good as the Jackson films are, they miss parts out (key characters like Tom Bombadil et al), and theyre never quite as good a the 'movie' in my head. I recall the late Jack Ray saying to me similar things about a sound, especially steam locos. Imagination provides a child like ability to escape the world for awhile

"Imagineer". I just assumed you held the "e" key down for too long and hit the "r" key simultaneously. Easily done on a QWERTY keyboard.

Hi Chris, no, not quite, as Howard writes, I first heard the word/phrase as management speak in the early/mid 1990s, hence my apology, yet the word describes what we rly modellers do, perfectly.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

MrsD very kindly took me to the first part of LOTR at the local "luxury" cinema in Ashford for my birthday some 8 or 9 years ago. They had wonderfully novel amenities, like a waitress that brings you a beer when you press the call bell. Fantastic, except it was nigh on three hours without an interval! Following the brilliant climax, and when I had been to the loo, I rejoined her in the foyer, and remarked that they'd missed out the whole chapter about Tom Bombadil. "Thank heavens!" was the only reply...

MrsD very kindly took me to the first part of LOTR at the local "luxury" cinema in Ashford for my birthday some 8 or 9 years ago. They had wonderfully novel amenities, like a waitress that brings you a beer when you press the call bell. Fantastic, except it was nigh on three hours without an interval! Following the brilliant climax, and when I had been to the loo, I rejoined her in the foyer, and remarked that they'd missed out the whole chapter about Tom Bombadil. "Thank heavens!" was the only reply...

LOL!! Thank heavens you noted, too, that TB was left out, he's key, in terms of Tolkien's estoteric messages within the trilogy!

They also left out a large section of the third book involving 'Sharkie' (Saruman) and his gangsters when they returned home to the Shire. As for 'The Hobbit' large parts  of that owed more to Tom and Jerry than Tolkein!

Hi fellas,

Id forgotten that ES was profoundly deaf-I empathise as I spontaneosly lost hearing in one ear (profoundly) over night, with the other loosing 10-15%....plus ramping up low level tinnitus to highest levels.

I wish I could have hearing aids in my glasses as ES' ones, the ones I have now, are awful and make tinnitus much worse (Ive now been told that leaving them off may speed up further hearing loss, gee thanks Doc! Ha Ha!)....IIRC Eric's trade mark glasses were pretty heavy duty though Ha Ha! Ala Mr Cain's. ES was a clever, funny, lovely man. Ive heard it said that the batch of comedians from last 30 years are every bit as good as those from 1950s, 1960s & 1970s (some compare Ant & Dec with Morcombe & Wise-they are NOT, not AFAIC!). And as much as I found 'alternative comedy' good at the time, most of it doesnt stand the test of time IMO. The older stuff? Still very very funny!

Like our model railways, the likes of ES, M&W, the two Ronnies and those who went before, et al, represent, harder, but more honest times?

One progressive person, alternative comedian (many of whom are highly intelligent) due to her health challenges, I suspect, is Ruby Wax (she did a Masters Degree in mindfulness based, CBT Psychology at Oxford), states that no one died from stress, per se, 500 years ago. No doubting poverty would have been more stressful back then. With all the gadgets and gizmos we rush to keep up with, all the labour saving devices etc, folk are less happy now than in recent previous times.

Hobbies and pastimes are very health promoting though.

When I can tolerate such music is a great stress buster and nice to have on in the background for model-making, audio books aswell.

I think that I will look out some Sykes classic comedy now-he was a good actor/writer too of course, much missed, as, like many of the greats, they are all going 'home' now.

I cant recall seing such on the TV news-I endavour to avoid such as most of it seems faux or hyped to me-but John Sertees passed away a few weeks back....I do hope that someone pays tribute to his achievements!

Sorry about the off topic, Rod & Howard (another double act I greatly admire), nostelgia is what our railways are about, too, though, are they not?

ATVB,

CME.

I have enjoyed this series of off topic remarks very much and long may they continue.

Back to Ramchester. The facia has been moved out to give us a little more room at the entrance to the goods shed but we could only spare about 2 to 3 inches so there still is not enough room to allow a vehicle to "back up" to the loading door but this is better than it was before we carried out the alteration. The facia now flows better but to bring it out more would have resulted in the baseboard being rather wider than I like or wanted. At this point the front to back distance is nearly 4 feet and to work on the rear of the layout requires one to stand on a stool and lean across, not ideal.

However I am pleased that we have carried out the work which will improve matters quite considerably - at least in my opinion.

Photo next time.

Rod

• Like 2

NEWSFLASH.

SERIOUS SUBSIDENCE APPEARS AT RAMCHESTER.

It is reported that a serious subsidence has occurred alongside the goods shed at Ramchester. A spokesman for BR claimed that the hole (the cause of which has not been identified) is some 160 feet deep and appears to reveal vast underground caves. It has been reported that mysterious boxes have been discovered in these caves  with the letters LGB clearly visible on their sides. BR investigation teams have been down tollook at what is going on before repairs can be carried out. Our reporter managed to take a photograph before he was ushered away from the scene by the local police force and his photo is appended herewith.

post-13361-0-33995500-1490884748_thumb.jpg

It is not known how long the necessary work will take as the Chief Engineer has gone away for his annual holiday and nobody seems to want to take responsibility for the project until he returns. Indeed no one knows what to do so it would seem that the situation will be static for some time yet.

At the moment rail services are suspended until further notice witth buses replacing trains for the foreseeable future.

When more information becomes available it will appear on this thread soon afterwards.

Rod

• Like 1

Further to the report of subsidence at Ramchester BR experts have decided to carry out a large scale exploration of the underground passages. Teams have been sent in BUT to date no one has returned! Our reporter however did sneak another photo of some interim work which is being undertaken in order to prevent further trouble.

post-13361-0-98366700-1490976067_thumb.jpg

Just what the mysterious piece of equipment is that seems to be perched on the edge of the bank no one knows. Neither is it known what it is doing or how it will help. Still....

post-13361-0-88603600-1490976260_thumb.jpg

I suspect that all will become clear in due course.

rod

• Like 6

NEWSFLASH.

SERIOUS SUBSIDENCE APPEARS AT RAMCHESTER.

It is reported that a serious subsidence has occurred alongside the goods shed at Ramchester. A spokesman for BR claimed that the hole (the cause of which has not been identified) is some 160 feet deep and appears to reveal vast underground caves. It has been reported that mysterious boxes have been discovered in these caves  with the letters LGB clearly visible on their sides. BR investigation teams have been down tollook at what is going on before repairs can be carried out. Our reporter managed to take a photograph before he was ushered away from the scene by the local police force and his photo is appended herewith.

attachicon.gifThe hole.jpg

It is not known how long the necessary work will take as the Chief Engineer has gone away for his annual holiday and nobody seems to want to take responsibility for the project until he returns. Indeed no one knows what to do so it would seem that the situation will be static for some time yet.

At the moment rail services are suspended until further notice witth buses replacing trains for the foreseeable future.

When more information becomes available it will appear on this thread soon afterwards.

Rod

A large hole appeared at Ramchester, the police are looking into it!!

Sorry, someone had to do it :jester:

I'll get me coat.

JF

Further to the report of subsidence at Ramchester BR experts have decided to carry out a large scale exploration of the underground passages. Teams have been sent in BUT to date no one has returned! Our reporter however did sneak another photo of some interim work which is being undertaken in order to prevent further trouble.

attachicon.gifwork in progress.jpg

Just what the mysterious piece of equipment is that seems to be perched on the edge of the bank no one knows. Neither is it known what it is doing or how it will help. Still....

attachicon.gifwork in prog 2.jpg

I suspect that all will become clear in due course.

rod

Those giant structural objects look alien to me!! EEEEK!