THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

I hope everyone who reads this has had a good Easter with lots and lots of eggs or other goodies. I have now sorted out my photos from our recent trip to Bath which Maggie and I enjoyed very much. Of railway interest I visited Bath Green Park station and took a few pictures. As most of you will know this station (formerly Somerset & Dorset Railway) is now a car park but I think that Sainsbury's have to maintain the station with its overall roof. I will stand corrected on this point however - perhaps someone will confirm or not. Anyway for those that are interested here are some photos of the station as it was last week.

The first picture shows the front of the building from across the road.

attachicon.gifBath GP Station.jpg

Next is a view from the inside of the station from the buffer stops end.

attachicon.gifBath GP from the buffers.jpg

Then a view from the other end looking back towards where the buffers would have been.

attachicon.gifInside Bath GP.jpg

Finally a view of the overall roof from the end of what would have been the platform ramp.

attachicon.gifBath GP now.jpg

It is very sad that this once thriving station should end up as a car park but I suppose that we should be grateful that the main structure still exists.

Rod

Hi Rod et al

I often pass BGP and Sainsburys (or 'JS' as I knew them when in FMCG manufacturing), JS had to pay, IIRC, £millions to develop the site/restore the building frontage etc and I would also imagine, now pay for up keep of the area too.

I would love to have seen trains there back in the day, aspects of area surrounding has had yet more major restructuring in past 2-3 years.

I have to be contented with films by the like of Mr Peters, Mike Arlett et al instead.

ATVB

CME

• Like 2

We had a session down in Rod's shed today and the site of the gap has now been covered with coloured plaster. I hope to start adding some foliage on our next session.

post-12623-0-37179200-1492623745.jpg

• Like 8

My shed known as "Platform 2" is a well appointed building which is FULLY insulated and heated. Maggie reckons that with the addition of a bed, a fridge, and a microwave I could be self contained!! I had better watch out before she carries out her threat!!

Heavy Duty. When you do visit the UK again send me a PM and you can come and play with Ramchester.

Rod

• Like 1

I hope everyone who reads this has had a good Easter with lots and lots of eggs or other goodies. I have now sorted out my photos from our recent trip to Bath which Maggie and I enjoyed very much. Of railway interest I visited Bath Green Park station and took a few pictures. As most of you will know this station (formerly Somerset & Dorset Railway) is now a car park but I think that Sainsbury's have to maintain the station with its overall roof. I will stand corrected on this point however - perhaps someone will confirm or not. Anyway for those that are interested here are some photos of the station as it was last week.

The first picture shows the front of the building from across the road.

attachicon.gifBath GP Station.jpg

Next is a view from the inside of the station from the buffer stops end.

attachicon.gifBath GP from the buffers.jpg

Then a view from the other end looking back towards where the buffers would have been.

attachicon.gifInside Bath GP.jpg

Finally a view of the overall roof from the end of what would have been the platform ramp.

attachicon.gifBath GP now.jpg

It is very sad that this once thriving station should end up as a car park but I suppose that we should be grateful that the main structure still exists.

Rod

Hi Rod,

It's certainly a grand structure but don't worry, it still survives in a friends house ( not a million miles from where you are ) in model form. As they say " here's one I made earlier ".

I had to build it to shoehorn into a very limited space but thankfully it seemed to fit !

post-20303-0-44971500-1492716055_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-08747200-1492716094_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Grahame

• Like 1

That is a fabulous model Grahame. What scale is it done in? Surely not in 7mm as you would need a mansion to fit it into! If it is near me what are the chances of me paying a visit to see it?. Please PM me if this is on.

Many thanks.

Rod

That is a fabulous model Grahame. What scale is it done in? Surely not in 7mm as you would need a mansion to fit it into! If it is near me what are the chances of me paying a visit to see it?. Please PM me if this is on.

Many thanks.

Rod

PM sent

My shed known as "Platform 2" is a well appointed building which is FULLY insulated and heated. Maggie reckons that with the addition of a bed, a fridge, and a microwave I could be self contained!! I had better watch out before she carries out her threat!!

Heavy Duty. When you do visit the UK again send me a PM and you can come and play with Ramchester.

Rod

Thank you, Rod - that's very kind! I'm remarrying this fall, and I'm hoping to show my fiancé what I love about the UK within the next few years.

• Like 1

I did a bit of titivating this afternoon. Unfortunately we don't have any more of the texture paint we used for the yard surface so I have improvised with some black acrylic and some cinder ballast for now. Rod also found the remains of the grey paint we used on the front of the layout had gone solid so I have touched it up with a bit of LMS Freight Grey for the time being.

post-12623-0-60835100-1493229911_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Howard,

How about rubbing the cinders with the back of a spoon to get that "rolled down" look?

I should stress that I haven't tried this, so it's a hypothesis, rather than a recommendation!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Simon, this is Woodland Scenics 'cinder ballast' which is made from a quite hard material. I think it would be quite difficult to crush it. 

I am experimenting with Chinchilla dust for the goods yard at Tonfanau Camp. Preliminary trials appear promising and I hope to post some photos later in the week when this wretched cold snap has passed.

Rummaging through my stock of scenic material I found some quite fine material which I have now used to redo the bit I did yesterday. Don't ask me what make it is as it's something I bought many years ago. Definitely not Chinchilla dust (or from any other rodent)!

post-12623-0-30554600-1493314646_thumb.jpg

After it's dry I'll blend it in with a bit of weathering although I think it already looks better than yesterday.

• Like 5

Not wanting to be pedantic, but just in case anyone actually reads the advice, there's a typo - they say "oxygen may dissolve.." but they mean "oxygen may condense..."

Be careful out there, there are hordes of demented chinchillas, bent on vengeance...

Best

Simon