THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

We had an operating session this afternoon with most of the usual gang. Unfortunately, one of our original 'Gang of Five', Frank Ewen, hasn't been able to come along for some time due to health problems and is now gravely ill. Anyway I managed to take a shot of Brian Harrap operating so I could post these 'Then and Now' shots.

attachicon.gifR4 (11-12-2009) (1024x583).jpg

11/12/2009

attachicon.gifDSCF0094 (1024x536).jpg

Today

Even the same loco!

Lucky man!

There is another difference! The 04 shunter has now been fitted with a wire loop at both ends to enable it to couple with Bachmann tension lock couplings. This involved drilling two small holes in the ends below the buffers and feeding a pre bent wire loop through them. This was held in place by pieces of wood which were made a tight fit between the frames. So far this has proved to be perfectly adequate for my layout and means that if the loco body needs to be removed it is a simple matter to prise out the wood to get at the screws which secure the body to the chassis.

I must say that it was great to see the layout being operated by "the gang" who I am sure derived much pleasure from the experience.

Railwayrod

• Like 1

I have now completed my LMS utility van except for some weathering on the roof and it should really have some brake and heating hoses on the ends. It's not perfect but it should look okay on the layout.

post-12623-0-88180500-1398174130_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-63916600-1398174149_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have now completed my LMS utility van except for some weathering on the roof and it should really have some brake and heating hoses on the ends. It's not perfect but it should look okay on the layout.

attachicon.gifDSCF0125 (1024x399).jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0127 (1024x404).jpg

Well I think it looks first class Howard and the hoses are a simple matter to sort out. As a matter of interest, hiow long did this take to build and paint and what was the cost of parts and materials used?

Regards,

Thanks, Chris. I bought the basic AnD 'kit' (basically just scored plastic sheets) at GuildEx 2012 and have gradually been working on it off and on over the last 18 months or so as I acquired the parts I needed. As regards to the cost:-

AnD kit - £18

Easybuild bogies - £27.50

Buffers and roof vents (from Invertrain) - approx £11

Laurie Griffin door handles and door buffers - £16 approx

Peter Cowling roof, electric regulator and vacuum cylinders - £6.85 (plus postage)

Evergreen plastic girders, brass wire, paint, etc, - probably around £20 altogether.

Edited by HSB
  • Like 2

I thought I'd have a go at carving off the brake gear on the bogies of my MTH LMS BG to improve their appearance. They are cast in what I assume to be pewter as it is seems to be harder than the usual white metal used for castings.Using a combination of slitting disc, razor saw and files I have managed to do one side without too much trouble. There are other issues with these bogies but it would probably be easier to replace them than try to modify them further. Hopefully, with a bit of weathering, and with the wheel flanges reduced slightly, they will look okay when running on the layout.

post-12623-0-28677100-1398266555_thumb.jpg

I thought I'd have a go at carving off the brake gear on the bogies of my MTH LMS BG to improve their appearance. They are cast in what I assume to be pewter as it is seems to be harder than the usual white metal used for castings.Using a combination of slitting disc, razor saw and files I have managed to do one side without too much trouble. There are other issues with these bogies but it would probably be easier to replace them than try to modify them further. Hopefully, with a bit of weathering, and with the wheel flanges reduced slightly, they will look okay when running on the layout.

attachicon.gifDSCF0129 (1024x433).jpg

Hi Howard,

That's a nice improvement.

I am still thinking that it maybe worth me upgrading to a couple of wm bogies kits - of course the lighting wouldnt work with those, yet that's not a big concern and could be rectified.

Keep up the inspiring work!

ATVB

CME

Work on Ramchester has been at a standstill for the last week owing to my hospitalization anf the death of a close friend  Frank Ewen who was Best Man at my wedding way back in 1974. However Howard and I did have a session yesterday afternoon and I managed to fit the safety hangers to the wagon which is coming along fine. We intend to have another session this afternoon and doubtless Howard will do an update on the station building etc. 

Edited by railwayrod

I have now swapped the modified bogie sides from my MTH BG with the ones on Rod's along with the wheels with reduced flanges (done on Brian H's lathe at Taunton on Sunday). I weathered both the frames and wheels before fitting.

post-12623-0-82240200-1398878770_thumb.jpg

I have also done a bit more work on the station building chimneys over the last couple of afternoons.

Rod had a new toy to show me today in the shape of a Scottish Region Type 2 (must have come down on an excursion from north of the border!) which runs extremely well.

post-12623-0-82408900-1398878793_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Thank you Howard for the pictures. At present I'm having problems posting photos - don't know why but my computer will not let me edit a picture - will get it sorted soon I hope.

I am extremely pleased with my new Type 2 from Heljan which I ordered on Monday morning from Tower Models and it arrived on Tuesday. It runs beautifully and is quiet and smooth in operation. New job now - will have to fit loops on each end so that it will hook up to my Bachmann couplings!

I have to say that Heljan locos are very good value for money and I have always been pleased with mine. Can't wait for the class 40 and class 45 to arrive later in the year!

Thank you Tower Models for your excellent service (usual disclaimer).

Forgot to say that Howard's work on the bogies of my MTH BG has made a big difference to the appearance  and running of the model especially as he has also taken the trouble to weather them. He now has to do his own!! Thank you Howard.

Also the wagon has progressed a little further as today I have fitted two of the spring mouldings. I mentioned this morning that I had fitted the safety hangers but I did not use the ones supplied in the kit as I found that they were so difficult to remove from the sprues and clean up. I decided to bend replacements up from strip nickel silver which proved to be quicker and gives a much finer appearance. They are also not as vulnerable.

Forgot to say that Howard's work on the bogies of my MTH BG has made a big difference to the appearance  and running of the model especially as he has also taken the trouble to weather them. He now has to do his own!! Thank you Howard.

Also the wagon has progressed a little further as today I have fitted two of the spring mouldings. I mentioned this morning that I had fitted the safety hangers but I did not use the ones supplied in the kit as I found that they were so difficult to remove from the sprues and clean up. I decided to bend replacements up from strip nickel silver which proved to be quicker and gives a much finer appearance. They are also not as vulnerable.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Nice work on the vehicles chaps.

Any close ups photos of the modified MTH Bogies fitted to the BG?

Thanks,

CME

Had another session this afternoon and I continued to work on the wagon. All the springs have now been fitted as have the axle boxes so only the brake levers and odd bits need doing before completion. Howard has been working on the station building and he will doubtless be adding his comments, etc later this evening.

I was delighted to see Ramchester in the current GOG Gazette - fame at last!

Here are some pics I took this afternoon of the MTH BG with modified bogies coupled up my Utility Van with Easybuild bogies. The differences are noticable when side-by-side but as Rod's BG will not normally run with other LMS bogie stock (or won't when I start my own layout and reclaim my coaches!) I think the original bogies will be acceptable on this one. Rod doesn't want me to do any further mods to this one apart from replacing the electric regulator box. I think that modifying the footboards would be quite a tricky job although I intend to have a go on mine at some stage.

post-12623-0-60845200-1399053376_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-07955500-1399053486_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-39819500-1399053497_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Further to my remarks about modifying the footboards; In the LMS coach book by Jenkinson and Essery there is a picture of a coach with three short boards under the doorways which I assume was what CME & Bottlewasher was referring to a while ago. On looking at a picture in 'Historic Carriage Drawings', however, I see that some had a single long footboard as modelled by MTH so I can leave it as it is

Looking at my layout I cannot believe that I have been part of its creation. The pictures in the current GOG Gazette were taken before Howard repainted the back scene and I think that the latest pictures show a massive improvement. I have to once again acknowledge the massive help that Howard has given me on this project which would probably have stalled at birth had it not been for his input. It is not all one side I hope as I am sure that Howard has gained a great deal from this project and he has been converted to the larger scale, which cannot be bad.

His ex LMS bogie van featured in the pictures above won the EXGOG cup for best coaching stock in our yearly competition last evening which is the second year on the trot that he has won this section. Congratulations Howard.

In the meantime I am the lucky recipient of his efforts as he is loaning it to Ramchester until his own layout reaches the stage where he will need it back. While I want Howard to get on with his own layout I hope that it will be some time away as his van looks good on my parcels train.

Next year I intend to provide some opposition in the coaching stock section of the EXGOG competition as I intend to build a ....... watch this space!!!

• Like 2

Here are some pics I took this afternoon of the MTH BG with modified bogies coupled up my Utility Van with Easybuild bogies. The differences are noticable when side-by-side but as Rod's BG will not normally run with other LMS bogie stock (or won't when I start my own layout and reclaim my coaches!) I think the original bogies will be acceptable on this one. Rod doesn't want me to do any further mods to this one apart from replacing the electric regulator box. I think that modifying the footboards would be quite a tricky job although I intend to have a go on mine at some stage.

attachicon.gifDSCF0132 (1024x552).jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0133 (1024x697).jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0134 (1024x585).jpg

Thanks for the photos, dont they look grand! Confusingly EZ Build state that their LMS bogies are the welded type, yet on your Van they appear to be the riveted type. I shall stick with the ABS versions for now as they add a little weight lower down.

Further to my remarks about modifying the footboards; In the LMS coach book by Jenkinson and Essery there is a picture of a coach with three short boards under the doorways which I assume was what CME & Bottlewasher was referring to a while ago. On looking at a picture in 'Historic Carriage Drawings', however, I see that some had a single long footboard as modelled by MTH so I can leave it as it is

Depends on the era of course. Both of mine are to be BR, one is BR Corp. Blue, so both will have some mods, including the boards (and plated ends etc.). I am not looking forward to removing the boards, but needs must LOL! I have an LMS version, so I shall have to modify the lining at the top and renumber etc. too, so as to convert it to a BR vehicle (I still havent bottomed out whether the ends should be painted black or not - I know the answer on BR MK1's - as most of the info on this stock seems to relate to the Big Four era).

Looking at my layout I cannot believe that I have been part of its creation. The pictures in the current GOG Gazette were taken before Howard repainted the back scene and I think that the latest pictures show a massive improvement. I have to once again acknowledge the massive help that Howard has given me on this project which would probably have stalled at birth had it not been for his input. It is not all one side I hope as I am sure that Howard has gained a great deal from this project and he has been converted to the larger scale, which cannot be bad.

His ex LMS bogie van featured in the pictures above won the EXGOG cup for best coaching stock in our yearly competition last evening which is the second year on the trot that he has won this section. Congratulations Howard.

In the meantime I am the lucky recipient of his efforts as he is loaning it to Ramchester until his own layout reaches the stage where he will need it back. While I want Howard to get on with his own layout I hope that it will be some time away as his van looks good on my parcels train.

Next year I intend to provide some opposition in the coaching stock section of the EXGOG competition as I intend to build a ....... watch this space!!!

You have both done very well. I very much enjoyed the Gazette article, a nice piece of work on a cracking layout!

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Did a bit more work on the wagon this afternoon and have bent up and fitted the brake lever and hanger on one side of the wagon. Howard had been working on the chimneys of the station among other things. The layout now has a bus in the station yard in the shape of a Corgi OB which although not quite 7mm scale looks OK in the car park at the back of the layout. Things are taking a lot of time without noticeable progress but this is all part of the fun. Ramchester has reached the point where we are beginning to think about adding all those little details which will make the layout really come to life.

More anon.

• Like 2

I've done a bit more work on the chimneys the last couple of afternoons. The two on the left are now about ready for painting but I have decided to change one of the single stacks at the other end to a double-stack hence the bare wood where there were once bricks. I also plan to add another chimney stack near the middle of the two-storey section.

post-12623-0-75811200-1399567372_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

For my 100th post I thought I would show a picture of my fiddle yard. As you can see it is rather crowded and the stock I=has reached the stage where there are no lines free in this area. Not all of my stock is on show here as some of it is in the station! So what to do about this situation? For some time now Howard and I have pondered over this and we have come up with a solution which will give me an extra track and would increase the length of a couple of the tracks as well. This will probably happen during the course of the year BUT I would also like an area on this side situated in front of the fiddle yard with a space in between so that the latter still allows easy access. This could take the form of an industrial complex, a loco yard, or carriage sidings. This would give me more operating potential and increase the capacity of the railway.

T'will be interesting to see what you all think.

post-13361-0-21047200-1399659357_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

For my 100th post I thought I would show a picture of my fiddle yard. As you can see it is rather crowded and the stock I=has reached the stage where there are no lines free in this area. Not all of my stock is on show here as some of it is in the station! So what to do about this situation? For some time now Howard and I have pondered over this and we have come up with a solution which will give me an extra track and would increase the length of a couple of the tracks as well. This will probably happen during the course of the year BUT I would also like an area on this side situated in front of the fiddle yard with a space in between so that the latter still allows easy access. This could take the form of an industrial complex, a loco yard, or carriage sidings. This would give me more operating potential and increase the capacity of the railway.

T'will be interesting to see what you all think.

Hi Rod,

Would converting your Fiddle Yard to cassette storage - by doing away with points and sidings - give you more space and thus more storage lines (true to say that a cassette yard may require more hands on, yet that needs weighing against the space issue)?

If making a cassette yard - with the removed points and some added flexi track you could then form an industrial site or loco shed et al (for added operational interest).

IMHO the easiest yet - less exiting - option for an area in front of the fiddle-yard would be coach sidings (giving even more storage if is used in conjunction with a cassette yard).

Hope the above may help.

Kindest,

CME