THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

I have a 37 and 47, so I know of the weight issue - worse for DJH diesels.

Ive seen some casettes (and the yards underneath them) with sliders underneath the cassettes and the yard with similar - ie Tufnol and Formica et al. - therefore the problem of weight is negated as there is no need to lift the locos and stock.

ATB,

CME

Rod is considering the use of a cassette at the end of the fiddleyard for runround purposes. I don't see how it would be possible to rearrange cassettes for whole trains and line them up with the main line without lifting them over each other. To have room to move cassettes by simply sliding them would mean the trains could be only half as long! A vertical traverser would be the ideal answer if it wasn't for the built-in bookcase underneath with a large number of railway books!

Edited by HSB

Rod is considering the use of a cassette at the end of the fiddleyard for runround purposes. I don't see how it would be possible to rearrange cassettes for whole trains and line them up with the main line without lifting them over each other. To have room to move cassettes by simply sliding them would mean the trains could be only half as long! A vertical traverser would be the ideal answer if it wasn't for the built-in bookcase underneath with a large number of railway books!

Twas just an idea, I couldnt tell from the photo exactly how much room there is - it is apparent though that points take up space which could be used for storage. True a vertical storage unit ala Rice et al. would be great, yet I have never seen one in reality. Everyone needs storage for railway books! LOL!!

The problem with cassettes in 0 gauge would be the weight of the things. A Heljan diesel on its own is almost a fork-lift job!

I'd always avoid cassettes in O gauge ... I dropped one once at a show whilst helping a friend out ... thankfully I managed to save the loco but the brake van reverted to being a kit ... not funny with the price of 7mm!!!!

I've been lurking in this topic for a while and its good to follow the progress (and read the gazette article).

Howard and Rod, how do you currently turn locos or run round etc on Ramchester's fiddle-yard?

Jack, as I mentioned, twice before, I am not advocating 'man-handling' the locos or lifting them either, just moving them around like chequers/'checkers' (sic) on a Draughts board  - four square;-)

IMHO the less stock is handled the better and O gauge diesels are indeed problematic, as are, fiddle-yards for O gauge stock - as real world forces come into play ;-)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Thank you CME and Jack for your comments. My longest train is probably a Co-Co diesel and, 5 main line coaches and possibly a van on the end. This means that a train could be anything up to 10 feet in length. Even a slider type cassette of this length would, I feel, be somewhat difficult to manoeuvre. At present locos on incoming trains in the fiddle yard are lifted off the track and placed at the front of the train ready for its next turn of duty. I had planned to construct a loco cassette to help with this but there are problems in re-railing the loco an the other end without the use of some sort of ramp.

On the subject of vertical cassette yards I have seen one in operation which was an engineering work of art. Even this however could only accommodate a tank loco and 3 suburban coaches or a short goods train. The work involved in constructing this would be way beyond my capabilities and would require substantial alterations to the built in book case underneath the fiddle yard.

The current "ladder" formation (Peco RH and LH points) of the fiddle yard does take up a great deal of linear length but by using 3 way points I could get in an extra siding and increase the length of each one. This would help but may not be sufficient to meet my future needs.

I had also considered moving the fiddle yard out into the middle of the room and converting the area thus vacated by the fiddle yard into a complex of some sort BUT this would mean that the fiddle yard would probably impede the operation of the complex.

Had I realized just how much stock I was going to acquire I would have built Ramchester a bit higher allowing a down grade to the fiddle yard and an up grade to the complex which would have been sited above the fiddle yard. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Thank you CME and Jack for your comments. My longest train is probably a Co-Co diesel and, 5 main line coaches and possibly a van on the end. This means that a train could be anything up to 10 feet in length. Even a slider type cassette of this length would, I feel, be somewhat difficult to manoeuvre. At present locos on incoming trains in the fiddle yard are lifted off the track and placed at the front of the train ready for its next turn of duty. I had planned to construct a loco cassette to help with this but there are problems in re-railing the loco an the other end without the use of some sort of ramp.

On the subject of vertical cassette yards I have seen one in operation which was an engineering work of art. Even this however could only accommodate a tank loco and 3 suburban coaches or a short goods train. The work involved in constructing this would be way beyond my capabilities and would require substantial alterations to the built in book case underneath the fiddle yard.

The current "ladder" formation (Peco RH and LH points) of the fiddle yard does take up a great deal of linear length but by using 3 way points I could get in an extra siding and increase the length of each one. This would help but may not be sufficient to meet my future needs.

I had also considered moving the fiddle yard out into the middle of the room and converting the area thus vacated by the fiddle yard into a complex of some sort BUT this would mean that the fiddle yard would probably impede the operation of the complex.

Had I realized just how much stock I was going to acquire I would have built Ramchester a bit higher allowing a down grade to the fiddle yard and an up grade to the complex which would have been sited above the fiddle yard. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

You're welcome Rod,

I keep forgetting that Ramchester runs longer trains than I plan to run - I agree therefore that a loco cassette seems a good idea (with the appropriate mods to the FY).

Vertical yards could be fraught too - and as you say, seem to need to be Brunelian in nature.

On DA, I shall make use of DS and 3-way points to get the exchange sidings in.

Even on small layouts the stock accumulates - what fun!

ATB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I have been working on some new ideas for the fiddleyard which involve moving it along and setting it at an angle across the room. This would mean we could extend the scenic area a bit further round the corner but I need to discuss it with Rod and check the feasibility of my ideas before saying any more about it.

In the meantime here's a picture taken last year which I haven't posted before:-

post-12623-0-15126300-1399895046_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 8

Having looked at some of the photos that have been taken of Ramchester I sometimes have to double take before I can believe that this is MY layout. The last photo which Howard has just posted is at the "country" end of the station and here we have tried to dwarf the train with high scenery. Whether we have succeeded or not I will leave you to judge but I am well pleased.

Perhaps I am biased but I believe that the railway looks very real especially now that Howard has repainted the back scene- incidentally the photos in the GOG Gazette were taken before he did this and show high hills in the background which in pictures did not look right. As with all model railways there is still loads to do and I suspect that I will still be at it for several years yet.

This is all part of the fun!

• RMweb Gold

I have been working on some new ideas for the fiddleyard which involve moving it along and setting it at an angle across the room. 

But where would everybody sit? :P

Hello John,

The seating would have to go or at least some of it! However it would mean that people would have to operate rather than siting about talking!!!

At this stage I have no firm ideas as to how/what to do but it is nice to have plans and it is exciting to see what can be done.

Watch this space.

Railwayrod

• Like 2

I think my angled fiddleyard idea has now been ruled out as it would restrict access to the bookcase too much but we are still considering different ideas about increasing the capacity and also, possibly, something coming out into the middle of the room.

We had another session today and Rod has nearly completed his wagon kit while I am now working on the fifth, and last, chimney stack on the station building.

post-12623-0-77544300-1400271525_thumb.jpg

I've also taken some new pics of the 'country' end of the layout:-

post-12623-0-52308000-1400271638_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-97392100-1400271694_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. If any of you are in the area do please let me know and if possible we can arrange a visit.  I have a small group from EXGOG coming round this coming Sunday (25th) morning so I could accommodate a couple more if you are around.

Railwayrod

Just a quick update for now. Howard has been working on the station building; painting an internal wall in the booking office. Still a fair bit of work to do on this but it is progressing nicely and we are both happy with how it is coming along. In the meantime I have done a bit more on the wagon and have fitted the door stoppers. This leaves the final bits of the brake hoses and the fitting of Bachmann couplings which I hope will be done next week as I have a busy weekend coming up including Howards belated birthday present which he does not know about as yet. More anon.

I have also purchase a Mk 1 BG kit from Easy Build which will be my first attempt at building a coach. I intend this to be my next project and will report progress as I go along.

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 2

Well, all has been revealed - not a pretty sight! Today Rod and I had a ride on a shark!!

Actually, it was brakevan ride from Paignton to Kingswear and back aboard a ballast plough brake van behind an 08 shunter. Rod kept the nature of our day out a complete secret from me until we were sitting in the station cafe so it came as a very pleasant surprise. We were very fortunate with the weather and we both had a thoroughly enjoyable time. They even did a photo run-by for us at Greenway.

post-12623-0-75609800-1400870060_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-79134000-1400870120_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Today a small group of EXG0G members came to look and operate Ramchester. Paul and Peter enjoyed their visit and I hope went away inspired. Paul brought along a couple of locos and I have posted a picture of these "visitors" - one of which is a very long way from home!!.

post-13361-0-70666700-1401044388_thumb.jpg

• Like 3